The A77 route down through central France to the South

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I've copied the following post from another section:

WE have a 2005 diesel Honda 2.2 estate towing a 2 berth Bailey Monarch, we have travelled to Spain for the previous 2 years crossing Portsmouth Caen and then down the A20 to Toulouse and around.

Next year we are looking to cross Dover/Calais use the A26 down to Reims before cutting across to the A77 and eventualy the A71 through Clermont Ferrand and down south over the Millau bridge and on into Spain.

A large section of this motorway is free as is the A20, my concern is whats it like for towing??( are there many steep inclines ?? )

I have looked at this route and overnight stops every 240miles using Caravan Europe 1 book.

I should also have mentioned we would be travelling during middle of January

Would appreciate any comments and assistance

Yours a Happy Traveller

Gareth Cooke

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Rob Jax reply moved from Buyers Guide:

Hi Gareth,

I'd also be concerned about maximum and minimum temperatures, and snow fall in January - try a Google search - because one weather history site (in Spanish) lists temperatures in Clermont Ferrand between +10

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
I'd also share the concerns about the weather. We did the Clermont Ferrand route once at Easter (March!!!), and the Massif Central (the area before and after CF) was icy cold, with drifting snow and the road conditions were dreadful. The area under snow wasn't huge, but it was extremely treacherous until we got lower down just before Millau.

There are some very very long hills - long rather than steep - some going up over a very long distance, and then down again over a very long distance - but bear in mind that at the highest point of the A75 you're as high, or slightly higher than, the top of Snowdon!! We've towed this route many times, with no problems in our diesel Ford Mondeo, but we did have a bit of a struggle once with a petrol-engined Mondeo.

If you do choose to go that way then there are some spectacular views especially after the Le Caylar services when you go through the tunnel and out on the mediterranean side. The descent down to the coastal plain is amazing!

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Just a thought - Does the original poster know that his posting has been copied here - or will he keep looking for replies in the original location?

Nov 26, 2007
Visit site
Ihave come down the A71 clermout ferrand in januery there was snow on the tops & some big hills up down , I was only driving a car at the time. I would look at www viamichelin.com very good for route planning ,If you are going to the benidorm area of spain , I would try Calais to Reims - Troyes - Dijon - Lyon - Valence - Nimes - Monpellier - Barcalona and on ward , its only about 20euros more on tolls and m/way all the way

have a safe journey god speed stuart

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have done the route from the south to Millau and from the south to Clermont. It is certainly quite challenging rising to over 1100metres in places. My Xantia, whilst it towed very well uphill the old temperature guage was getting very close to the red and I was glad to get to the Millau plateau. The second time was with an X-Trail which cope well with the road but it was the only time that economy was awful. I have not yet gone north to south so can't comment on that. It is a superb motorway but I think I would be a bit concerned about doing it in winter.

David

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi

Gareth

I am also travelling to Spain via Calais in late January and am grappling with the same problem as you. I have 3 choices:

1. via Clemont Ferrand - and risk altitude and severe weather

2. via Lyon and pay exorbitant toll fees

3. via Poitier and Bordeaux - and have the problem of finding

Spanish cap sites open travelling south to La Manga

Can anyone help this confused Traveller

Chris

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Hi

Gareth

I am also travelling to Spain via Calais in late January and am grappling with the same problem as you. I have 3 choices:

1. via Clemont Ferrand - and risk altitude and severe weather

2. via Lyon and pay exorbitant toll fees

3. via Poitier and Bordeaux - and have the problem of finding

Spanish cap sites open travelling south to La Manga

Can anyone help this confused Traveller

Chris
Why not use the N roads? 'Bison Fute' or 'Bis' (French Government department, specifically to get motorists off the autoroutes) do a series of recommended routes for travellers, which are good roads, avoiding most of the 'bottlenecks' and generally follow the smaller roads through France. We use them all the time, in conjunction with the free A75, and have had no problems. We have a Bis map which we still use, although it's a bit out of date, but has given us some superb routes through France. Maps used to be available at the information centres for Bis in France, but we haven't been able to get a more up to date one.

Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
I've travelled the A71 in both directions during the late summers several times. It's an excellent road with several hills - they are long rather than steep. At intervals along the roadside, signs indicating the height are posted. As David says, the road rises to 1120 metres. I've never travelled the route in winter however, I have frequently used the A1V from Burgos to Madrid between November and January. At it's highest point at Somosierra it rises to 1450 meters and although the surrounding mountains are snow covered, I've never been delayed because of snow covered roads. It's comforting to see the snowploughs parked on many of the exit bridges ready to go into action when snow is expected. I would have thought the French Highways Departments would have similar precautions.

Jan 3, 2007
Visit site
We have done the Calais/Spain trip twice in January and February, although we stayed on the toll roads on both occasions and went via lyon.

We have also done the Portsmouth/Bilbao run but only been succesful in getting on the outward ferry once out of three attempts. The problem with Portsmouth/Bilbao is that if the weather turns for the worse in the Bay of Biscay they cancel the service and as there is only one ferry running there is no alternative. We had to make a very hurried change to go via Dover on both occasions.

Driving down at this time of year does also present other problems with less sites open but if the weather is with you the traffic is usually very light. Allow for extra time because one camp site, north of Lyon, we stayed at was snowed in overnight and we could not get out until around noon, so lost most of a days driving.

Given a choice though, at that time of year, we would use the Bilbao route even though it is more expensive.

TRENDING THREADS