THE ADVENTURES OF LOLLY!!

Dec 1, 2005
Visit site
Hi everyone

Came home today, instead of sat, weather was horrendous, snowed from sat to mon then the rain and fog came in and did not let up, thought it wasn't fair on the dogs/child to have to sit in the van all day so we packed up this morning in the midst of a cloud burst!

Here's how it ran :

Sat, hitched up and left home at 11am, sun all the way to just past Derby then it got a bit grey. Arrived in the Peaks around 2pm, it had started to snow by then, took wrong turning ended up down a cart track, (and I MEAN cart track) it was only about 5ft wide, not ideal with a wide, large caravan, turned round eventually in a farmers driveway. By this time it was a blizzard, and caravan front was covered in cow's poo where it had flicked up!

Found site, checked in at reception, directed to pitch, which we had to change as it was really cut up, returned to reception and changed pitch, found new pitch, still snowing heavens hard, got car stuck in mud, tried to unhitch and push van back onto pitch, couldn't move it as I had overpacked it (who says a woman can't pack)! very nice man came and helped us push in between me trying not to wee myself laughing.

Got set up, rowed over awning, it went up wonky, leaked and we got covered in mud! Settled down to the rest of our time there, got frequently wet and muddy. CAME HOME!!

But - all said and done, we did enjoy our experience, we are off to Lincoln on Tuesday.

Lolly x

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Aaaawwww !! sounds about right for a first trip !! mine was just the same, but on the bright side the second was absolutly fantastic ! weather was great and everything went smoothly !!

Have fun in lincoln

Tina xx

Dec 1, 2005
Visit site
Aaaawwww !! sounds about right for a first trip !! mine was just the same, but on the bright side the second was absolutly fantastic ! weather was great and everything went smoothly !!

Have fun in lincoln

Tina xx
cheers Tina

Let's face it - it can't get any worse, can it?!!!

BTW did you get your table?

Lolly x

Mar 28, 2005
Visit site
never mind Lolly, you're very brave anyway for even attempting to go away in winter, I certainly don't my van stays in storage until the end of March.

I know a lot of people do go away at this time of year but if you've got kids it's not much fun if the weather turns nasty.

It'll all be worth it when the weather starts to get warmer.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Well done Lolly, you seem to have got the "full set" on your first journey! We have had the same sort of experiences as you but we manage to have them spread over a few outings ;o)

The bit about the row over the awning, that will never go away and is thought of as "common practice" in the caravan world. I remember when we had our first new awning and were visiting a site near Harrogate, at Easter. The weather was really bad, snow, high winds and freezing temperatures and I told my "dearest" that it was a good idea not to use the awning, she agreed to begin with but after setting up, cup of tea in frost bitten hands, she has a change of mind. She wants the awning up to see what it's like, so it's up to my son and me to erect it. After an hour of cursing and some of the bluest language you'll hear on site we had it up and tied down, how we managed it in the storm is still a blur but both me and the boy were grateful for the sanctuary of the caravan and it's life giving warmth, luckily we had some plasters for our wounds too.

So we settled down for the night, the wind still howling outside, PJ's on and into bed. An hour later and the wife is up and pacing the caravan, she can't sleep, the wind is now catching the awning and rocking the caravan, she's worried. Then the sentence that I knew was coming but dreaded to hear, "You'll have to take it down"! Some of the lads on this site will know that you just resign yourself to the fate and get on with it. Once again myself and the boy got to work, pulling out pegs, collecting canvas and unhooking poles. Everything went into the back of the Vitara, snow mud and all, crammed in any which way, while the better half looked on. Give her some dues though, she did make us both a nice cup of tea when we eventually got back in, too tired to moan too cold to complain, but at least we had learnt a lesson. Women have the real power!

Mar 28, 2005
Visit site
Well done Lolly, you seem to have got the "full set" on your first journey! We have had the same sort of experiences as you but we manage to have them spread over a few outings ;o)

The bit about the row over the awning, that will never go away and is thought of as "common practice" in the caravan world. I remember when we had our first new awning and were visiting a site near Harrogate, at Easter. The weather was really bad, snow, high winds and freezing temperatures and I told my "dearest" that it was a good idea not to use the awning, she agreed to begin with but after setting up, cup of tea in frost bitten hands, she has a change of mind. She wants the awning up to see what it's like, so it's up to my son and me to erect it. After an hour of cursing and some of the bluest language you'll hear on site we had it up and tied down, how we managed it in the storm is still a blur but both me and the boy were grateful for the sanctuary of the caravan and it's life giving warmth, luckily we had some plasters for our wounds too.

So we settled down for the night, the wind still howling outside, PJ's on and into bed. An hour later and the wife is up and pacing the caravan, she can't sleep, the wind is now catching the awning and rocking the caravan, she's worried. Then the sentence that I knew was coming but dreaded to hear, "You'll have to take it down"! Some of the lads on this site will know that you just resign yourself to the fate and get on with it. Once again myself and the boy got to work, pulling out pegs, collecting canvas and unhooking poles. Everything went into the back of the Vitara, snow mud and all, crammed in any which way, while the better half looked on. Give her some dues though, she did make us both a nice cup of tea when we eventually got back in, too tired to moan too cold to complain, but at least we had learnt a lesson. Women have the real power!
Lol are you a man or a mouse? (from fellow mouse)

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
at least your experience has not put you off caravanning, mark and l had a arguement the first time we put the awning up.

you are brave for going away this time off year our first outing is not untill the end of the month.

have a nice time at lincoln.

sharon.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site

Squeek!

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site

Have fun in lincoln

Tina xx
Somebody making me one for

May 4, 2005
Visit site
Well done Lolly,we came back early over Xmas and new year because as you say its not fair on the kids.

Anyway even a seasoned old pro like Lutz has had to fly home to thaw out !

Brian (",)

Dec 1, 2005
Visit site
at least your experience has not put you off caravanning, mark and l had a arguement the first time we put the awning up.

you are brave for going away this time off year our first outing is not untill the end of the month.

have a nice time at lincoln.

sharon.
thanks Sharon, I hope you have better weather than we did - where are you off to?

Lolly x

Dec 1, 2005
Visit site
Well done Lolly,we came back early over Xmas and new year because as you say its not fair on the kids.

Anyway even a seasoned old pro like Lutz has had to fly home to thaw out !

Brian (",)
that makes me feel loads better, I thought everyone would take the mick!

Lolly x

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Welcome back lolly, look on the bright side girl, things can only get better. Can I be relieved now and you carry on with your official duties. Maureen keeps telling me off for not doing the job properly, gawd she's bossy, I'm sure my missus must have trained her :O(

May 4, 2005
Visit site
Lolly, your cow poo story reminds me of when we were in the Peak district. Out one day in the car well off the beaten track we came to a corner near a farm. The farmer aware that the mess on the road might cause a hazzard had put up warning signs. They read..

WARNING COW **** ON ROAD

If only more signs were that easy to understand.

Brian (",)

Dec 1, 2005
Visit site
Lolly, your cow poo story reminds me of when we were in the Peak district. Out one day in the car well off the beaten track we came to a corner near a farm. The farmer aware that the mess on the road might cause a hazzard had put up warning signs. They read..

WARNING COW **** ON ROAD

If only more signs were that easy to understand.

Brian (",)
I couldn't agree more Brian - I still can help giggling when I think about it!

Lolly x

TRENDING THREADS