The bedroom

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
We both was thinking on how we can improve our van and one of the things that we would like to do is find out more on how to get a better mattress.
The one we have at the rear of the van is made up of 4 pieces as it is also a sitting area.
When we are away we leave the bed made up but find by the end of the week the 4 sections have slipped apart and there are small gaps.
When at home we put it back as a seating area for neatness.
Now we have read some place about mattress toppers so looked them up on the net and for the size we would need they range in price from £47 to £65 the difference is the density IE 45KG to 75KG.
First has anyone tried them and what is the best to go for in density, we would like soft to very soft.
Any comments on this subject would be welcome.
Reg and Pat

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Hi Reg and Pat, I fully understand your comments as we had the same problem with our previous van. We bought a king size mattress topper for £49 for the bed at the front area.You would probably need the double size version for the rear area bed as I dont think it is as large as the front ones.We were very satisfied with it and have cut it to fit the fixed double bed in our current van!! As for the softness I think the original uphostery in your van will be the issue there!. Good luck and sleep well!!!
Thursdays Child

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
Thanks all, we are going to see if there are any in the bed shops today, it's this bit about density I don't get.
They say you can have density of 45KG to 75KG, what is (KG)?
As for the size we are going for a double 6'3" x 4'6" x 2".
Happy caravaning all, roll on spring.
Reg and Pat

May 8, 2009
Visit site
Reg / Pat,
KG is a measurement of weight. 1 KG is roughly 2.2LB.
I presume the density will determine how well the topper will stand up to the weight of whoever is in the bed but I stand to be corrected as I am unsure.
As you said the best thing to do is go to a local bed shop, or even try Argos.

Hope this helps............

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
We have just come back from 2 shops, the first one they are very cheep and thin, second shop about 1inch thick but £130 ouch.
Ordered of internet 3inches thick with a cover free P,P. £60 my Pat is well pleased.
When it comes I or we will give it a true test and report back, oh and it was 75KG.
Reg and Pat

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
And just what type of 'test' had you in mind Pat?
smiley-tongue-out.gif
smiley-foot-in-mouth.gif
smiley-surprised.gif
smiley-yell.gif
smiley-laughing.gif

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Just remember that mirrors on the van ceiling could seriously affect towing stability.
smiley-wink.gif
Prof John will be able to explain in terms of centre of gravity.
mel

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Before you top up with a mattress topper get the smallest tightest fitted sheet (or make one, if you are handy), and hold the cushions together with that, then put the mattress topper on top, and then your normal bedding. You'll find it all holds together much better, and the cushions don't slip apart.

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
Thanks Val, that sounds a good idea.
A cover comes with my order for the topper as well.
May even try it on the bed in doors.
As for testing it, well.....
Reg and Pat

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Reg and Pat, is your van a double dinette layout and you leave the rear bed made up when you are touring? If so you could leave the cushions at home and get a new mattress cut to size. Lots of foam suppliers will do this for you. You could then have a proper mattress and "fixed bed" while touring. Don't get rid of the rear cushions as you will need them if you trade the van.
mel

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
Ordered of Internet 3inches thick with a cover free P,P. £60
The topper arrived yesterday, dragged it in to our lounge and unwrapped it.
It was a lot heaver than I expected but I have removed the bunk bed from the rear, hope that will compensate for weight.
The smell was not to good so we left it all night to air.
This morning I put it in the van and had 40 winks, very snug and it felt like a proper bed.
It fitted a treat.
Pat and I will be giving it a test to-morrow, so keep the noise down from 2 to 5pm, will put notice on the door 'do not disturb' .
Yes I think it was worth £60, a good extra.
Thank for putting up with us, Pat and Reg

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts