The beginning of the end?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
In the near future will one robot be doing work of several human beings? If less people are employed for the government of any country that may mean more outgoings in benefits than income as less people paying NI or similar. In my opinion the use of robots will cause more people to fall into poverty.

Another worrying aspect is that if a robot takes over the work of several or more humans and there is less income for the government, the government will need to cut back on pensions for people. Certainly a lot for the next generation to worry about? See https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-68486462

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Similar things were said when washing machines and dishwashers started to become popular. The house person will have so many more hours available to do other interesting things. That one doesn’t seem to have materialised.:ROFLMAO:

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Similar things were said when washing machines and dishwashers started to become popular. The house person will have so many more hours available to do other interesting things. That one doesn’t seem to have materialised.:ROFLMAO:
Very true, but the above replaced one person whereas a robot replaces several or more people.

Oct 19, 2023
Visit site
Nothing new about this, automated machines have been replacing people in manufacturing for years. Self checkout and scan as you shop replaced supermarket checkout operators. Online shopping has reduced the number of retail outlets. I think that the next big one will be when AI starts replacing people in call centres etc.

Reactions: Tobes and Jcloughie

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
I started in the computer industry straight from school in 1965 and the same arguement was being put forward then about machines replacing human workers.

While it's true that they did alter some aspects of work the overall employment rate from the mid 1800s to the early 2000s has stayed pretty much the same....except during a few recessions.

The Bank of England's figures show this to be about 73% I think. During this period automation of all sorts was on the increase. The labour market changed but didn't necessarily diminish.

What's more worrying to me is the dependency we are placing on other countries for food, goods, services and energy. How often do you find something that's not made in China?

Jul 19, 2021
Visit site
I think that the next big one will be when AI starts replacing people in call centres etc.
To some extent this has already happened with chat bots , I know from my experience trying to contact John Lewis's about a faulty TV and Esure about a claim that most of the heavy lifting is done by AI. And it's a painful experience too :(

Working in IT, a lot of the stuff I used to have to do is now automated and we have servers that can pretty much fix themselves as far as software issues go. So only a mater of a few years until I'll be on the scrap heap

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
AI is already prevelant in call centres and screwing up big time. Search for the recent fiasco with Air Canada's AI, making commitments that they tried to disown.

It's also a laughing stock as it tries to be politically correct or is the term 'woke' these days, as it tries to rewrite history.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
To some extent this has already happened with chat bots , I know from my experience trying to contact John Lewis's about a faulty TV and Esure about a claim that most of the heavy lifting is done by AI. And it's a painful experience too :(
Experienced that yesterday when contacting Nationwide. Darn thing takes you around in circles. Eventually I was told I would be connected to a rep and that took about 20 minutes. I made the inquiry then waited about 10 -15 mins for replies. I got logged off as the rep in the Far East was taking so long to reply. :mad:

• Angry
Reactions: Bluetonic
Jul 19, 2021
Visit site
Experienced that yesterday when contacting Nationwide. Darn thing takes you around in circles. Eventually I was told I would be connected to a rep and that took about 20 minutes. I made the inquiry then waited about 10 -15 mins for replies. I got logged off as the rep in the Far East was taking so long to reply. :mad:
I've been on hold for 4 hours with Esure trying to get my car insurance claim sorted, as you got to the next in line the call would drop. Happened several times. Case is now with the Ombudsman but they are not exactly easy to get hold of or responsive. 9 months of no MG to drive and still no end in sight. Hopefully not another summer of topless driving ruined

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts