The best thing about caravanning is...........................

Oct 17, 2006
Visit site
As site wardens we live in bungalow on site, but sometimes if site is quite we will bring our van out of storage put it on pitch and spend two or three nights in tourer. That how much we love our van. Even better when we can get away.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
..... because we are able to come and go as we please. We have no itenary like most holidays. We eat when we are hungry, not when the hotel says so. We wake up to pleasant views, unlike in a concrete jungle where most hotels are situated. You can relax when away, something you can't do at home because there are always those jobs that need doing and friends and family often need your attention. Getting to see areas you have never visited before and also partaking of your hobbies in new surroundings, like fishing, walking, photography, cycling etc.

To my mind it cannot be beaten on the budget I have to live on. I would like to see faraway exotic places but thats not to be, besides even if I could afford it I wouldn't abandon my dogs for months. Sad ain't I?

Jan 3, 2007
Visit site
After years of caravanning holidays and years of staying in hotels for 2/3 nights a week on business trips give me caravanning every day.

Even now, after taking early retirement, I still get a buzz out of planning our trips and to be honest when it is time to "break camp" to come home my first thoughts are; Where will we go to next?

Nov 7, 2005
Visit site
We spent 20 years travelling the world and do you know what, we have come to the conclusion that the best place of all has been sitting in our own garden all the time!

It's 16 ft long, has all mod cons, and amazing views that we can change as we choose!

For us, nothing, absolutely nothing, beats a long summer evening at our forest site, drinkies in hand, barbie on the go, surrounded by our dogs, ponies, birds and squirries. No hotel or pub can compare - give me the caravan life every time!

And now that flying and airports are such a pain - it's even more attractive!!

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
It keeps the kids away from televisions and computer games. At home they have so much to play with they get bored and fight. While we are away in the country with fresh air, they find new friends play outdoors and enjoy it so much. When they enjoy it makes it more enjoyable for the parents.

Steve

Aug 17, 2005
Visit site
As we've only been caravanning for about 18 months, everything is still new and exciting to us. What amazes me is that as soon as we leave home to collect the van, we start to chill out and relax, no matter how far the drive we have in front of us to reach our destination. Even the 9 hour drive to Cornwall and subsequent 7 hour drive back home a week later didn't do anything to dampen the relaxing effect caravanning brings us!

There is nothing nicer than looking at the stars through the skylight before drifting off to sleep or waking up to see the sun come up over fields and hedgrows while still tucked up in bed with a cuppa. There really is nothing like it. We've said "Goodbye" to package holidays forever!

May 21, 2008
Visit site
We have been caravanning for 20 years and have enjoyed all the freedom of choice and had some spectacular holidays that we could of never afforded any other way.

But the best for me started as a dare ten years ago. My wifes parents are both disabled and need one of the family to accompany them 90% of the time they go out. Father-in-law was an agrophobic (fear of being out in the open).

However we were all at their house one Saturday for tea (32 members in the extended family) and we were discussing, six family's taking their vans to the Gower for easter weekend. he said if only I could come I would. Upon which I said, go on then I dare you! Buy a caravan, we'll travel down in the evening and you can come too. Don't forget that you'll have the house on the back should you need to stop and go inside for a cuppa.

To everyone's suprise he rose to the bait and bought a caravan. You see he is a "welshman" and was not going to let a "brummie half cast" (me cos I'm half Brimmie and half welsh, but the latter half rules my heart)win his pride off him.

So off we set to Gower farm at LLandewi. When we arrived Adrian the owner allowed us to pitch in a circle like the cowboys did which added a bit of fun to the camp and also made it feel like we had our own community which settled Father-in-law down no end.

Everone had a fantastic weekend as ther was 24 of us all having a holiday with the in-laws as well. The grand kids loved playing host to grand dad's van seeing to all their needs.

Six years later after countless holidays in Wales and even dragging him to the Isle of Wight which was another mile stone for him as he had vowed never to go on water again following a turbulant army life in active service, we then took him on a 1500 mile tour of 6 sites around Scotland which took months of miticulas planning as we had to find sites willing to take a group of 4 vans plus dogs and be able to site us all together next to the disabled facilities. LINWATER caravan park (Edinburgh)scored full marks on this and the owner Jean has stuck in their minds as the most wonderful host to meet as her kindness and attention to detail was superb.

Now guess what? He want's to go back to Scotland again and this time he want's to go right up to John O Groats as two years ago we got him to Lands End.

Ok so I've landed the job as chief planner but what the heck, for our whole family ( all 32 of us) the pleasure to us is seeing the parents trundle off with the van in tow knowing that ten years ago without that dare to buy a van, the garden gate would of been their Lands End!

I think to me, seeing the smiles of happyness on Ron & Ann's faces are worth a million miles of caravanning.

Steve.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We have been caravanning for 20 years and have enjoyed all the freedom of choice and had some spectacular holidays that we could of never afforded any other way.

But the best for me started as a dare ten years ago. My wifes parents are both disabled and need one of the family to accompany them 90% of the time they go out. Father-in-law was an agrophobic (fear of being out in the open).

However we were all at their house one Saturday for tea (32 members in the extended family) and we were discussing, six family's taking their vans to the Gower for easter weekend. he said if only I could come I would. Upon which I said, go on then I dare you! Buy a caravan, we'll travel down in the evening and you can come too. Don't forget that you'll have the house on the back should you need to stop and go inside for a cuppa.

To everyone's suprise he rose to the bait and bought a caravan. You see he is a "welshman" and was not going to let a "brummie half cast" (me cos I'm half Brimmie and half welsh, but the latter half rules my heart)win his pride off him.

So off we set to Gower farm at LLandewi. When we arrived Adrian the owner allowed us to pitch in a circle like the cowboys did which added a bit of fun to the camp and also made it feel like we had our own community which settled Father-in-law down no end.

Everone had a fantastic weekend as ther was 24 of us all having a holiday with the in-laws as well. The grand kids loved playing host to grand dad's van seeing to all their needs.

Six years later after countless holidays in Wales and even dragging him to the Isle of Wight which was another mile stone for him as he had vowed never to go on water again following a turbulant army life in active service, we then took him on a 1500 mile tour of 6 sites around Scotland which took months of miticulas planning as we had to find sites willing to take a group of 4 vans plus dogs and be able to site us all together next to the disabled facilities. LINWATER caravan park (Edinburgh)scored full marks on this and the owner Jean has stuck in their minds as the most wonderful host to meet as her kindness and attention to detail was superb.

Now guess what? He want's to go back to Scotland again and this time he want's to go right up to John O Groats as two years ago we got him to Lands End.

Ok so I've landed the job as chief planner but what the heck, for our whole family ( all 32 of us) the pleasure to us is seeing the parents trundle off with the van in tow knowing that ten years ago without that dare to buy a van, the garden gate would of been their Lands End!

I think to me, seeing the smiles of happyness on Ron & Ann's faces are worth a million miles of caravanning.

Steve.
Great story Steve, I have just read the thread on inconsiderate neighbours and some peoples experiences were so bad I thought "why bother" but you have reminded me what it is really all about. Jim.

Feb 22, 2007
Visit site
For us the pleasure is the chill out. 2 days or 2 weeks it works everytime. Forget work, forget chores - Blackmore site (Malvern) is 45 mins away - great for a Friday night run. Don't even start the car until it's time to come home on Sunday. Rain or Shine - doesn't matter.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
absolutely.............its a great story mate, your father in law sounds like a troubled man. ive experiences with people with the same illness and its serious, not to be mocked or laughed at. hope he and indeed all of your family have many happy years together in your "cowboy circle" ;-)

Sep 13, 2006
Visit site
I have towed the van to a superb site on a lovely day.

The wife has kept the kids occupied while I have sorted out the services and put up the awning.

The best bit comes now .......

Sitting down to do the BBQ with a really cold pint of cider

Luvverly

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts