The 'better' awning poles?

Dec 7, 2005
Visit site
I have used fibreglass awning poles on my 930 bradcot awning for the last 3 yrs and found them very good. They are lightweight, strong and the awning is very solid even in windy conditions.

Having bought a new van I have purchased a biggher awning (Bradcot)which has come with alloy poles. The weight of the pole bag is exactly the same believe it of not although these alloys are really easy to tension, you just pull them apart. The only problem with the fibre poles was the 'butterflyfly nut tensioning method.

So I quite like the alloy, but have no experience of them.

Are they more prone to bend?,how do they perform in windy conditions, can you get spare part tensioners for them.?

Or should I stick with my original fibreglass ones which will fit?

Any opinions would be welcomed.

Chers

Mike

Aug 31, 2008
Visit site
Hi Mike

Like you I have had Bradcot with both alloy and fibre poles.

On my previous classic I had alloy poles and I did have a problem with some of them bending but that was in a VERY extreme storm situation. I have, also, heard some folks say that the alloy adjusters can slip, again, usually in extreme conditions.

Our current on current 1030 Classic I specified fibre poles. The frame is a Campion AX IV and is the same make as the ones used by Isabella awnings. That means that you could use the fairly new Isabella IsaFix to replace the butterfly nut clamps. I'm thinking of doing this althouth they do cost c

Dec 7, 2005
Visit site
Hi Mike

Like you I have had Bradcot with both alloy and fibre poles.

On my previous classic I had alloy poles and I did have a problem with some of them bending but that was in a VERY extreme storm situation. I have, also, heard some folks say that the alloy adjusters can slip, again, usually in extreme conditions.

Our current on current 1030 Classic I specified fibre poles. The frame is a Campion AX IV and is the same make as the ones used by Isabella awnings. That means that you could use the fairly new Isabella IsaFix to replace the butterfly nut clamps. I'm thinking of doing this althouth they do cost c

Nov 27, 2009
Visit site
Our Bradcot 1050 classic has alloy poles.

I frequently have problems with the adjusters slipping, even in relatively calm conditions.

Also ended up with two sections badly bent during a quite windy day at the New Forest CC site. Not extreme though by any measure. The only consolation on that occasion was that a few days later, someone had left several sections of their bent alloy poles by the dustbins for disposal, including the centre front post with the 4 way head. I managed to repair all of my damage using straight section from those discarded, and ended up with a replacement centre 4 way head to swap with ours which had a problem with the small section which sticks out forward to support the fringe on the awning. Plus there were some spare straight sections left over which I now have as spares.

I have no experience of the carbon poles to compare against, but I wouldn't rush back to aluminium until they redesign the adjusters so they stay put!

Apr 27, 2009
Visit site
hi mike , we have the bradcot with alloy poles no problem with joints slipping , 2 years a go in spain on the coast a strong gust of wind blew the awning over the top of the caravan , no damage to caravan not even a scratch but about 5 poles were bent , 1 we saved the rest we replaced 18 pounds each thats why we will always buy alloy poles....hasbo

Feb 14, 2007
Visit site
Thanks Tim, nice idea, well worth thinking about.

May well do this, but still undecided.

Cheers
I have a Bradcot Classic with the alloy poles. First time of use, in mild windy coditions, I had three poles bend such that they would no longer telescope together.

Managed to source replacement sections from a web advertised supplier, but not cheap. Also adjusters can be similarly sourced. (Note that three different sizes are used both for poles and adjusters.)

Any future purchase or replacement will definately be for fibre glass poles.

Aug 31, 2008
Visit site
Hi again Mike

I can identify with Hasbo's experience. In Summer 2007 we were staying at Camping La Riva on Lake Como, Italy.

The previous week we were told a severe storm had damaged several awnings and even blown a caravan window off. When we heard of another imminent storm we decided to take down our awning. Unfortunately the storm arrrived early at the very worst moment as we had just finished unpegging the awning.

The strong winds caught the unsecured awning and blew it onto the roof of the 'van. It looked like a dead cow with the poles sticking up in the air. When we we got the awning down with the help of some other caravanners some of the alloy poles were bent but there was no damage to the caravan roof. If we'd had steel pole the roof would have probably been damaged but then perhaps they would have not blown away so easily..

In fairness to alloy poles it was an extreme weather and the awning was unpegged.

We now always use the Bradcot/Isabella tie down straps which loop over the poles UNDER the canvas and are secured into the ground with screw-in pegs. As you probably know that's the only type of tie down kit that Bradcot permit with their guarantee, ie, not the long strap type that go over the outsside of the canvas from one side to the other.

Tim

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts