The caravan thieves came back...................................

May 21, 2007
Visit site
As some of you are aware about 6 weeks ago someone attempted to steal our caravan off our drive. They were unsucessful at the time. They came back last week, probably better equipped, only to find the same caravan wasn't there. The new van has beefed up security, but it didn't stop them attempting. 2 gouges now on the hitch. These scumbags won't give up so we are expecting them back again some time. Police and insurance company informed. If you live in the Northampton area please be warned.

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
OOH how horrible! I often have a little pray when returning home after visiting relatives"please let the van be on the drive still"

Poor you it must really spoil your day for you.I know we have insurance but it is still an abuse of our freedom isn't it?

Thursdays Child

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Hello Pat,

Glad to hear they were again unsuccessful.

I was on a CC Training Course over the weekend, and spoke to Bob, who was also on the course. I told him we are collecting our first van on Friday, he asked me was I using storage for it. I said I was fortunate to have one within 2 miles, and yes I had booked a space. His reply was that he used storage, mainly because if you have a van on the drive, if its not there, it lets the thieves know your are away on holiday.

Have you considered this option, particularly as it looks like this problem may re-occur again, even more so as you have your new van on the drive.

Best regards,

George

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
Hi, Pat

Sorry to hear they have tried again, if you have a motor mover on your van could you perhaps turn the van around so the hitch is facing up the driveway making it even more difficult, i know its probably more awkward for you but its also harder for them maybe someone would hear them struggling?? just a thought.

Carmen

Feb 5, 2008
Visit site
Hello Pat,

So very sorry to hear that, thankyou for the warning, we live in South Northants.

Take care and best wishes,

Jonah.

beaf up security,empty van out leave locker doors open,take wheals off,and nuts,remove jockey wheel, hopefully if it is just an empty shell it will not be worth it,if it needs seats,curtains ect,2 wheels and a jockey wheel they might just leave it alone.did that with mine and thieves were put off,well they never came back.can you park it so it is difficult to get out,maybe block it with a car across the front,good luck at beating the low lifes.sarah

Jan 2, 2010
Visit site
Pat, find the largest, savage dog you can and tether it to the A frame.

I am afraid that cctv wont help we caught some didds on cctv clear as you like, they were nicking diesel out of the trucks but plod said they could not act on the images, dont know why too much like hard work I would guess, rather go for the soft target as usual that being the motorist.

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
Re the cctv suggestion - I can't remember exactly who it was but someone posted a link on here to footage from their cctv they had posted on youtube. This clearly showed transit van drawing up next to their caravan then their security devices, including post and alarm being overcome before caravan being hitched up to transit and towed away never to be seen again as far as I know.

Nothing is 100% thief proof, just make it as difficult as possible and hope they will go elsewhere in search of easier pickings.

Along with other devices I use a jsbhublock which I would recommend. The only downside to it is you need to remove a wheel to fit it.

www.jsbhublock.co.uk

Robert

Nov 5, 2006
Visit site
I also had probs with an attemted caravan theft (2xwheelclamps & hitch lock) I fitted The JSB hublock I know its a faf to remove the wheel but they will not steal the van http://www.jsbhublock.co.uk/

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
we have 2 wheel clamps,corner steady locks,hitch locks and real tracker warning signs ... we work on the premise that the thieves will go for the van next door which has less security and is easier to nick when on site.and keepour van in a cossao gold storage site.

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
should have mentioned that most wheel clamps are next to useless. They type that simply wrap around behind the tyre.... well the thieves deflate the tyre,lever off the clamp then re inflate the tyre from a compressed air cylinder, takes a few minutes at most.

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
hi

my mate made me a anti theft thingy that if if you connect lights to tow car it blows all the fuses on car not sure how he did it but i can find out all i had to was to make sure i turned it before i used it lol

May 22, 2006
Visit site
I`ve read of a similar idea a while back, some of the 12n plug and socket wiring was changed but it meant that no one else could tow the caravan and also the car could not tow any other caravan can`t remember how it was done.

sounds like a snake bite alarm it works by adapting the towing electrics.one needs to access the wires inside the van,it means cutting the wires and adding one adapter one end like on the caravan to car,and two wire blocks.this allows the towing electrics to be plugged into the snake bite or into a normal socket for towing.the snake bite consists of a 12 volt battery and alarm.if coupled to the car with the inside connection on snake bite a loud siren sounds,if the car is switched on it stings,theory is the blast from the battery will blow out car fuses and render car useless.we have it and forgot about it,we ended jumping backwards when it stung us.it didn't knock out a sedona electrics so need to up battery.i think it cost 60 all parts and clear instructions with it fairly easy to do, sarah

Mar 7, 2008
Visit site
Hi Sarah, thanks for the info, I'll give them a call.

Just out of curiousity, how big is the battery for it, or does it take a feed from the caravan's leisure battery?

Many thanks, Jim.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts