Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
hi all,
well that time as come as it eventually does to all of us, when you realise your caravanning days are over and your heart is no longer in it,
circumstances and events finally drive home the last nail and it becomes obvious the effort and cost ones put in outweigh the pleasure one get out. it has been comming for quite a while as we use the van less and less, yet the cost continually rises.
our last outing just confirms this as we arrive home after 2 days that should have been two weeks is south devon.
a catalogue of unforseen irritations turned the whole experience into a disaster from start to finish, and we are both happy now to be home, I have just booked into a premier inn, on the coast, for next week to salvage some of the holiday time left for this year.
I don't know how we will go on in the future but it will be without the van this will be up for sale tomorrow (once cleaned out and washed) as will all the equipment,
we have both enjoyed our 44 years doing our own thing touring and will be sad to see it go but as the title says this is, .THE END.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I'm sorry that you've come to the end of your lollipop as far as touring is concerned Colin.
There's no need to stop posting on the forum though, your experience and common sense might help newbies to start off on the right track and deflate some of our sillier utterances on here
smiley-laughing.gif

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Colin

You will still be our Sir Chunky of the Woosie Round Table.

We all admire your great knowledge and advice on electric things. I'm with Parksy and do hope you will continue posting.
None of my business but would a seasonal pitch help?

Best wishes and good luck on the rest of your holiday. We

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Colin, that is sad, but only you can tell when the time is right. Herself and I clock up 47 years caravanning this year, and 50 years wed next July, and when I suggested that maybe we should cut down our multi-thousand mile 10 or 12 week Euro-jaunts, I got some very nasty comments about ME getting too old! (Herself is 6 years older than me!)
It's been good having you on board, and as Parksy says, don't let a simple thing like not having a van stop you posting. Good luck, mate.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
So sorry to hear that it is no longer for you. Do keep posting though and whatever form your holidays take I hope that they give you the pleasure that caravanning used to.
mel

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
My Dear Colin, my heart sank when I read your post, 44 years thats a long time but only you can decide on the right decision and I wish you and your OH all the luck in the world,
Most of the things to be said have already been said but I would like to thank you on a personal level for all the invaluable help you have given me, especially on the electrical side of things. Thanks Mate.

Ps, Sorry you left the South Devon area so quick----------------It's not that bad down here
smiley-smile.gif

Where did you stay?

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Really sorry to hear the ol' tyke is giving up but only he will know when it's right. Whatever you choose to do in the future I hope it's the right decision for you both me ol' mucker and good luck to you both and take care.

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
hi all,
thanks for the kind words and of course I will continue to post, for a while anyway as it would be a shame to lose 40+ years of experience to the forum as often happens is such cases, to be honest this has been comming for a while and there has been some mutterings of the dreaded static from the kids as the wifes illness progresses, on that front we will see later.
the final straw though came this weekend, after weeks of planning and preparation we set off, for our only two weeks holiday of this year, as circumstances dictated that we could not go before and test the water (so to speak) being aware of the long time spent in the car in blazing sun and the number of stops we would have to make decided to travel overnight setting off at 10pm (first mistake).
the rear view camera stopped working half way down the M1 and no fiddling would get it back on, road works on the M5 overnight caused delays and detours that added 50 miles to the journey, the car was really stuggling to tow the van and seem to be pulling to one side, we had to have an unscedualed stop at the Gordano service station (probably the worst one on route for vans) to find the nearside van tyre almost flat, a quick call to Mayday for assistance, told me they could not get to us for a least 1hour because of the road works, so I told them not to bother and changed it myself, even though it meant unloading everything to get to the jack and brace, (see I can change a van wheel
smiley-sealed.gif
) 35 mins in all so not bad,
realising we would arrive on site too early we spent a couple of hrs in Exeter, (2nd mistake) the whole City is one way and trying to find a parking space for car and van was a nightmare, although we did in the end "on morrisons carpark"
smiley-embarassed.gif
, at 11 o clock decide to ring the site to ask what time we could get on, anytime he said your pitch is marked out and EMPTY
smiley-cry.gif
finaly we arrived on the CL at 12.30pm (after 14+hrs on the road) and got to our pitch, it was right behind the barn.
Cor what a wonderfull pitch, and yes of course it was right in the sight line for the dish, so no telly a quick look on the phone showed no signal so no internet either
smiley-surprised.gif
no other pitch was available as there were 5 other vans on site, a look round "and yep no EHU all in use" no problem the owner said you can plug it into the barn "on a 13amp plug" one will be available tomorrow as the motorhome was leaving and the next van doesn't want electric."errr 6 vans on a CL" grrrrr
I then started to get setup, winding down the legs with the drill it came off and smacked me in the mouth cutting my lip, I next filled the aquaroll and oh dear no filter, (3rd mistake) "forgot to replace it when cleaning the system" so no water
smiley-cry.gif
a 15 miles round trip to Newton Abbot to get a new filter, and at last could have a cup of tea.
it was just about then I noticed the Wasps, loads of them they were everywhere although no one else seemed bothered "must just be me then"
smiley-embarassed.gif
I spent the rest of the afternoon putting up the awning (and swatting wasps, a useless exersize as there are hundreds of them and only one me) finaly getting stung on the arm, the wife came out to help (with the awning not the wasps) and fell off the step hurting her arm and bad hip.
eventuallly though it was done and we retired for a very uncomfortable night at 9pm ( 37hrs after getting up the previous day) next morning first job after breakfast and a shower was shopping nearest supermarket Bovey Tracy 5 miles away, got there no wheelchairs and hers was still in the awning (4th mistake) it took over an hour as she tried to hobble round with sticks.
completly shattered we went back to the van made some tea and sat there sweltering with everything shut up (because of the wasps) with only the blown air to cool it down a bit, we could not open the windows as they somehow got though the netting,"very clever insects them wasps".
it was just about then we looked at each other and said in unison this is no good we can't do this anymore, "lets go home Iv'e had enough" so I packed up and just threw everything in the van and we went, getting stung again on the leg in the process.
the final event (last mistake) was leaving the site as I turned left instead of right down a very narrow lane and took the wing mirror off on the hedge (did you know that there is a stone wall under all that greenery in devon) I didn't but do now
smiley-yell.gif
of course it went under the van wheel and got run over didn't it, so I had to drive home with only one mirror and no rearview camera, getting home just after midnight yesterday, in all a 700mile round trip for one night on site. (but paid for 14)
it's the first time in 40 years we have cut short a holiday and never again thats it, the end of our caravanning days for good.

ps. anyone want a fully equipped small van for a reasonable price I know where there is one for sale
smiley-cry.gif
I will even throw in a single towing mirror
smiley-cool.gif

pps, wrenwell medows CL. Kev,

colin.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Oh dear Oh dear, a catalogue of disaster from start to finish which a few years ago you'd have laughed off and taken in your stride, but time marches on and these things, one on top of the other, can be hard to deal with.
You've always given us on the forum very good advice and I hope that you'll forgive me if I offer you a little bit of advice which you can of course ignore.
Some years ago my life changed very drastically. I'd bought a tourer a year or so before but circumstances dictated that I just couldn't use it after a severe stroke left me semi-paralysed, weak as a kitten and to be honest in a pit of bleak despair.
The caravan would have to go when I got round to it but my mate had other ideas.
He sorted me out with a seasonal touring pitch and he was better than a brother to me, he towed my caravan and set it up on this seasonal pitch, fetched my water and basically did everything for me.
Nevertheless there were still days when everything seemed to go wrong, I fell off the caravan step and hurt myself and there were times when I could have cried out in utter sheer frustration and anger but I learned to take a step back, to say ****** it or to have a go tomorrow when things seemed a bit better.
I adapted and things really got better for me, and as the Woosies who've met me will testify I might do things a bit slowly at times but I get there in the end. There's more than one way to skin a rabbit so take your time.
This isn't about me though Colin, but I recognise your frustration, I've really been there!
My advice for what it's worth is to take a breather, think about what you really want to do and if you still want to give it all up then so be it, but don't be too hasty.
For ages after I finally left the safe haven of the seasonal pitch I stayed close to home, no more than 50 miles away.
I discovered some real hidden gems right under my nose and we still visit some of them to this day.
I still check everything out using Google Earth, Streetview etc to make sure that I know where I'm going, where the narrow bits are and what the site entrance is like.
I write it all down ( or more often Carole writes what I dictate to her) even though we have a sat nav which I've learnt to ignore sometimes.
I still have days when things don't go my way but I've learned to shrug my shoulders, put it down to Karma and read a book instead.
One bad holiday shouldn't ruin a lifetime of enjoyment, why leave on a low note?
Some days I lie on the floor to wind the corner steadies, I never use a drill but I get it done all the same so don't risk injury just use a steady winder and take your time.
You don't want to see me trying to put a porch awning up!
Where there's a will theres a way though, caravanning needn't be fraught with disaster no matter how old or infirm you are. Just consider a slightly different approach and if it doesn't work hey ho, what have you got to lose?
smiley-smile.gif

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Perfectly understandable that you would want to give it up and it is probably a wise decision, however after a few months you will start to wonder why you have so much spare cash available you you every month. It will then dawn on you just how expensive caravanning can be.
We have the caravan and because we have 4 dogs and a cat, it gives us a bit of freedom, however rental cottages are now beginning to look like a viable better and cheaper option if in addition to the caravanning costs you take the cost of fule into consideration. A lot less stress.

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
hi all,
yes Parksy it is an age thing I think!! as time marches on things do get far too difficult, up 3 years ago we used the van 6 or 7 times a year, then I tried giving up work and live on saving spending 4months roaming round the south west in the van, but it did not work life is far too expensive for that,
then the wife twisted her knee,while away it never recovered, even after 2 operations inc a replacement then the other one and now her hips gone she was diagnosed with osteoarthritis that will never get better only worse. in the last three years we have used the van a total of 3 weeks and one day, if I worked out the depriecation, insurance costs, servicing (most of which I do my self exept the gas) parts plus the cost of fuel and sites when we do go, I would probably be a candidate for a heart attack.
we should have done this 3 years ago when the van was still worth something, if i keep it say 2 more years and never use it, it might as well go for scrap, at 10years old I would probably have to pay someone to take it away, theres no point in keeping it any longer as both of us have no intention of going away in it again.
I do agree though that years ago the maladay that be'fell us would not have been such a challenge, overnight traveling was allways done after my last night shift, and i used to carry every concieveable spare part, tools. ect that i could carry. the wasps would not have bothered of us, I would simply have got rid of them by poisoning the nest with wasp powder, 24 hrs (no wasps).
but that was then, now it's too much hassle,I dont do nights, or go fishing, I sold the motor bike, to spend more time at home with her, she is far more important to me than anything else, caravan inc, it just has to go, full stop.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
colin-yorkshire said:
pps, wrenwell medows CL. Kev,
colin.
Hi Colin you should have given me a shout mate, my front doorstep is less than two miles away!!
Mind you couldnt have helped with the wasp, they dont like me, if I get stung I end up looking like Popeye the sailor man
smiley-laughing.gif

Hope your lip is on the mend, hurts doesnt it!!
smiley-cry.gif

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
I think the point Parksy makes with regards incidents that you would normally just laugh off,however,once the enjoyment has gone out of it,these incidents just annoy and irritate.Just a thought,we used to hate having to go and get our van out of storage,which was some distance away.We have since gone over to the 'other side' and bought a small camper which we keep on the drive.We would never go back now to a van.Just a thought matey.Best of luck to ya .

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
I have to say that if it wasn't for Jenny I would of given up this year. Towing with hand controls hasn't suited me so she now does all the towing and we're having to restrict ourselves on how far we go as about an hour and a half seems to be my limit. I then spend half my time asleep and staying in the car for a nap when we go out but all the time she and the girls can cope I suppose I'll just keep plodding on. Often feel quite useless when falling off the step when trying to sort the awning or going into spasm halfway through a job but I'm accepting now that I sit on the scooter, barking out orders and telling everyone that I could do it twice as quickly. I think once we move (only just under 4 years to go) and an hour and half will see us everywhere we want to get to (pretty much) things will be easier, at the moment missing our beloved South West without being able to get there at all is a bit of a drag. Of course the other blow has been having to have an EHU to charge the scooter when away longer than a weekend and I'm seriously thinking about blowing the cobwebs off the avtex for when I'm left in the van alone.
Take care colin and good luck for the future.

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
hi, thanks Martin,
I hope you can carry on for a few more years yet at least untill the girls are at an age where they wish to be elsewhere (it happens so quickly you know?) as for us we will be fine, I write this from a hotel room on the east coast, instead of being in a field near Kevs front door in the south west, but hey it's not so bad, comfy bed, good meals, one dosen't have to prepare, no dragging the loo over to the elsan point every two days, and no WASPS
smiley-surprised.gif
we have enjoyed the last 40+years in the van and motorhome but now it's time to move on, if this is a taste of the future, I like it
smiley-cool.gif
the dealer we bought the van off is comming to look at it next weekend after we get back and will take all the kit as well, for someone just starting, (better than it going to waste) so next saturday I should have a big empty garage to fill, with some project or other to keep me busy (quite fancy a trike or another electric boat)
smiley-innocent.gif
we will have to see!!!.
meanwhile take care everyone, and you Woosies enjoy the meet, in October, I'm off now Whitby tomorrow that should give her scooter a good work out.

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
hi all,
quick update, got back home last friday, must say I enjoyed it more than i expected, it certainly looks like it is a way forward for us,
anyway the dealer duly turned up sat morning looked round the van and at all the kit tested the van with damp meter (none found) and prenounced it was worth £2500, "with all the kit" this sounded like a give me price so I declined "the selling price on internet is nearer £5k, just for the van" he said it was the wrong time of year to sell a van ect, length of time it would have to be kept before sale ect, but that did not cut any ice for me why should I pay for him to store it, a few other dealers I contacted were not interested as they only do part exchanges, dont fancy private sales due to the problems with sharks, and fraudsters, so it looks like i'm stuck with it for a while.
following on from Parksy post I did send out some emails to sites that do perminant and seasonal pitches as an alternative but have had little response, those that did reply want £1200- £2000 a year and have waiting lists Phew, although it was just a thought as the van is a bit too small for a static pitch and the problems of living in it would not alter having it in the same place.
well thats is for now it's not hurting anything sored in the garage I will see what develops over the next few months.
TTFN colin.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Something always goes wrong when we go away but never on that scale. It may be that after a few weeks thinking about things you will return to the fold so it is better to keep the van in the short term. It is the wrong time to be selling now as the dealer said, he would be looking at storing the van until next spring, so was probably not that bothered if he did not get it and hopefully you will get more then if you do sell.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
colin-yorkshire said:
hi all,
quick update, got back home last friday, must say I enjoyed it more than i expected, it certainly looks like it is a way forward for us,
anyway the dealer duly turned up sat morning looked round the van and at all the kit tested the van with damp meter (none found) and prenounced it was worth £2500, "with all the kit" this sounded like a give me price so I declined "the selling price on internet is nearer £5k, just for the van" he said it was the wrong time of year to sell a van ect, length of time it would have to be kept before sale ect, but that did not cut any ice for me why should I pay for him to store it, a few other dealers I contacted were not interested as they only do part exchanges, dont fancy private sales due to the problems with sharks, and fraudsters, so it looks like i'm stuck with it for a while.
following on from Parksy post I did send out some emails to sites that do perminant and seasonal pitches as an alternative but have had little response, those that did reply want £1200- £2000 a year and have waiting lists Phew, although it was just a thought as the van is a bit too small for a static pitch and the problems of living in it would not alter having it in the same place.
well thats is for now it's not hurting anything sored in the garage I will see what develops over the next few months.
TTFN colin.
Hi Colin
Glad you managed to salvage some of your planned time away and even better you enjoyed it.
Hope you get more for the van, perhaps in the spring.
Good luck.

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Martin24 said:
I have to say that if it wasn't for Jenny I would of given up this year. Towing with hand controls hasn't suited me so she now does all the towing and we're having to restrict ourselves on how far we go as about an hour and a half seems to be my limit. I then spend half my time asleep and staying in the car for a nap when we go out but all the time she and the girls can cope I suppose I'll just keep plodding on. Often feel quite useless when falling off the step when trying to sort the awning or going into spasm halfway through a job but I'm accepting now that I sit on the scooter, barking out orders and telling everyone that I could do it twice as quickly. I think once we move (only just under 4 years to go) and an hour and half will see us everywhere we want to get to (pretty much) things will be easier, at the moment missing our beloved South West without being able to get there at all is a bit of a drag. Of course the other blow has been having to have an EHU to charge the scooter when away longer than a weekend and I'm seriously thinking about blowing the cobwebs off the avtex for when I'm left in the van alone.
Take care colin and good luck for the future.
Hi martin. I'm playing catch-up as we've been away, so only just spotted your post. Ref your charging problem for the scooter, we had the same problem, and we now use a 300w inverter wired into the cigarette lighter circuit (via a ten amp line fuse) and plug the charger into that.This means that the scooter is on charge all the time the car is in use. We've used this system for three years now, and have never mains charged the scooter in that time.Total cost was about £30 as I remember, from Maplins.
Good luck.
PS. The inverter is hard-wired as the horrible plugs they supply kept burning out!

TRENDING THREADS