The Mad World of Insurance

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
...... I recently had a problem in that I was very happy with my towcar insurance provider, but I wanted to change the renewal date.

The renewal date was a problem as I am usually abroad for 5 weeks over the period it was due and I did not want to set up automatic renewal.

"This cannot be done Sir" was the reply when I enquired last year about changing the date.

So this year I garaged my car on returning from Europe and kept it there with no insurance.

After a month I renewed my insurance with the same provider and took out the same policy at a cost of £273 having changed my annual renewal date by 4 weeks.

The previous quote for just continuing the policy was £324!!!

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
Because of the gap between the two policies you will probably find they class you as a new customer and give you a discount to get your business. For this very reason I always have a good look around at renewal time and so far have always bettered my renewal quote.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
..I am sure you are right in that they classed me as a new customer as that is what I concluded.

Getting different quotes at renewal is difficult in my case as the provider in question offers market leading Comprehensive cover in Europe for a market leading number of days per year.

Policies vary a great deal on these two areas of cover.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It really annoys me that my car insurer will never automatically send me the best quote they can do.

And when I tell them I'm leaving to go to a better deal they can find further substantial reductions to try and keep me.

Even when I do leave, they continue to send me a mountain of paperwork trying to convince me they offer the best deals!

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
With all insurances I ring round every year when they are due for renewal. It is surprising what you can save. My Caravan in surance will have to change on the 15th April as I am changing my van. At the moment I am with the NFU, with them my new Van will cost me over

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts