The new Alco Buttonless handbrake

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Has anybody had any problems with the handbrake applying whilst towing? We have a new 2005 Ace Aristocrat 570 (Barrons Dealers option)first time out drove from Up-north to SevernOaks then onto Hastings. On our way hastings we had to break harder than normal as some *it pulled out on us ( They didnt want to be held up)and the break partialy applied, feeling the sudden drag pulled straight over (10-20 yds)looked for the problem found hand break just on. took it of and set of all ok however every time we breaked after that it felt like the van was going to come through the back of the car. After pulling over and inspecting the van the break was off but no resistance was felt when applied there was no breaks andthe cabeles under the van were just off the floorand were only up where they passed through cabel ties and fixings. Cutting the story short we turned homeand got back as far as huddersfield when we needed to stop for a rest. uppon re startingthe van would not move forward, checked all round and found several chunks of break drum on the floor behind the offside van wheel. Further inspection showed total disintigration of the drum. Called AA and they Relayed the van back to the point of purchace. I now have been given a bill for a thousand Pound to refurbish the axel as the Manf said is isnt a Manf faultand so the dealer was told to say it was User missuse? Can this be right? Ideas? Help....

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
Martin & Debbie, Sorry to hear of your problem most unfortunate. I am now on my third van with the alko euro hitch fitted (buttonless handbrake) my first being a coachman vip then a coachman laser and now an ace celebration 590 twin axle, we have never had any problem with the system even when we where hit by another motorist and made an emergency stop the handbrake stayed in the off position, indeed on all my vans the handbrake requires quite a bit of effort to apply. If you where on your first outing i would say the brake may not have been adjusted correctly if that is possible as i would think they adjust automatically, really can not see you being able to tow far with the brakes on though as i once forgot to remove the handbrake on the laser and found that even with a discovery as a tow car the van was almost impossible to move. I would argue with the dealer and stand my ground if i was certain i was not at fault, at least try for a fifty fifty if they will not accept all the blame.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Martin & Debbie,

Sorry to read about your horrific experience with your new van, with regards to the brake drums.

Just been reading the latest(november)issue of Pratical Caravan Pages 116/117 topic regarding AL-Ko stabilisers, certain models can activate the handbrake due to sudden stops.

worth reading.

Royston

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts