the new bailey olympus

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Personally I hate the centrally located jockey wheel.

The times it's got stuck on the brake rod ;grrrrr. The side mounted ones do make life easier imo.Well done for having that on the Oly.

Cheers

Dustydog

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
not sure what you refer too martin?

But i expect caravans to be frail, otherwise the weight penalty would be prohibitive?

Unless the construction was carbon fibre, but then the cost to buy would be out of my price range.
would expect it to last longer than a look on the forecourt

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
bryan

if it comes flat packed, at lest we should see a discount?

Why don't caravans come with a option list, i would happily omit the oven,tv, microwave, omnivent,status ariel,loose fit carpets,gas changeover system,alko wheel carrier.

But then as a extra i would have a fitted carpet, a underfloor wheel carrier(as avondale). And a matching colour bottle box cover, and motor mover. Built in jacking system.

Nov 13, 2008
Visit site
Dear All,

I don't know if any of you are in the area, but the Olympus has turned up at the Manchester Show unannounced! Also here is the new Elddis Xplore 302 and the Sprite Finesse, in advance of their appearance at the NEC.

Regards

Nigel Donnelly

Editor

Practical Caravan

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Looked at this and the Pegasus at the Manchester Caravan show today, the vans from the outside look o/k its when you walk through the door that it hits you, the design team need to go back to school, every one that that went in while we were their were not impressed with the inside of the vans.

Bailey really needs to look at the inside like they have done with the outside then maybe they will have a winner, until then not for me,

Oh! and spray that nose white, looks like a polar bears nose, my opinion others may like it.

Mar 4, 2008
Visit site
We also had a look at the Olympus at the G-Mex, sorry, Manchester Central show.

From someone who dislikes the Pegasus, I thought Olympus was alright as long as you think of it as Ranger GT60 replacement rather than a Pageant replacement.

The cupboard doors have the same 'plastic' feel as the Ranger. It may have a high specification with ATC as standard, however the fridge and microwave look like low cost items and after all the negative comments about the gas locker door I'm would have thought it would have been changed. Still don't like the LED grab handles - to me they look cheap.

One thing we noticed was that the blinds/flyscreens were better fitted than in the Pegasus.

As for the claimed in magazines 'wood-free' construction, the wooden floor in the side storage locker looked very much like untreated wood to me.

If you are looking to replace a Pageant Champagne, look else where as there isn't a direct replacement. the Olympus 504 being more of a fixed bed replaced by dinette version of the 534 - think Sterling/Swift 545.

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
I wonder if anyone has tried to fit an awning to one of the alutec bodyshell caravans yet? I was looking at a Pegasus at the local dealer at the weekend and appart from the sharp 90 degree bend at the back panel which looked like it would make fitting the awning difficult, the chanel at the back did not line up with the chanel in the corner finisher, making it quite impossible to fit an awning.

I also have a real problem with this front locker layout. We travel with a wastemaster in the front locker of our current caravan and on site the sun umbrella and windbreak live in the front. Completely impossible with the Pagasus / Olympus. I think its a brave thing for Bailey to do but personally they are not my taste.

Jul 31, 2008
Visit site
Has any one seen the price list for this caravan, couldn't find it on the brochure.
Yes the front locker is restricting, and I to dont want to put my larger items in the van or the car. No prices as yet but expect tight pricing - yes its Ranger locker design/finish with stripes. thats the way Bailey have chosen to go and its a big risk, if problems with the construction appear in next 2 years, it could present them with a major headache.

Jan 19, 2007
Visit site
...is that an easily removable jockey wheel I see?

If it is then that is good in my book .. next step would be to make the Status aerial optional, for those that only want to use a Sat dish.
Or don't have a TV?

Jul 15, 2006
Visit site
It's just as well we don't all like the same things, that would be boring! Saw the Pegasus and Olympus at the SECC and really liked them both. I like the modern minimalist look, have no problem with the inside walls and quite like the dark front!! If we could buy a new caravan right now it would be the Pegasus.

Couldn't see a Stealth anywhere, would have liked to look round one but don't think we would ever buy one.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
It's just as well we don't all like the same things, that would be boring! Saw the Pegasus and Olympus at the SECC and really liked them both. I like the modern minimalist look, have no problem with the inside walls and quite like the dark front!! If we could buy a new caravan right now it would be the Pegasus.

Couldn't see a Stealth anywhere, would have liked to look round one but don't think we would ever buy one.
My dealer tells me that the Pageant range is now finished, replaced by the Olympus. I want to buy a new bailey with transverse bathroom but I don't like the Pegasus/Olympus look. E mailed Bailey but unusually they are not being very helpful, HELP!

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
My dealer tells me that the Pageant range is now finished, replaced by the Olympus. I want to buy a new bailey with transverse bathroom but I don't like the Pegasus/Olympus look. E mailed Bailey but unusually they are not being very helpful, HELP!

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Not surprising, changing all the lines to the Alutech system, was bound to see existing models being removed, only wished they would revisit the interiors, only option is to vote with your Cheque Book.

Will be very interesting to see what the other Manufactures come up with to counter act the new design, l think l will be cautious and wait a couple of years before l make judgement, hope Bailey have the build right, then maybe we will see a new spec for the interior but l bet it will come with a price.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Just had a look at Bailey's own website - there are loads of pics plus the 360 angle views of the new Olympus - I think it does look nicer than the Pegasus, they all have wrap-around seating though but front centre table is optional, no BBQ point though - shame!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I see weights are on the increase again, with the demise of the fuel injection engine being replaced by battery driven cars, wonder how long it will be before we will have to pay heavy duties for fowling the atmosphere with our current models.Will a battery car be capable of towing a caravan i wonder.

I own a Pageant Provence 5 berth van with the total laden weight being 1410 kG , the best layout of all , I see the Olympus 525 5 berth has a total laden weight of 1463 kg increase of 53kg.

With the cost of diesel going up seemly every other day , how much longer will we able to own a tow a car capable of towing these heavier vans.

Royston

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts