The pink stuff

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Does using the pink stuff in a flush tank serve any real purpose besides creating black bits. What are its properties regarding cleaning etc?

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The makers claim it makes the bowl "slippery" which is supposed to make anything in there slide into the waste container more smoothly.
Other than that it is supposed to have a pleasant aroma.......... I leave that to your imagination!!!!!

Do you need it..most certainly not.

Reactions: JezzerB
May 24, 2014
Visit site
Funny enough, I saw a video the other day about cleaning the fluch tank. It advocated a 10% solution of domestic bleach, fill the tank, dont let it stand for more than 20 minutes, drain and fluch through with clean water twice. I was a bit surprised as I always believed you shouldnt put bleach anywhere near Thetford Toilets.

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site
Funny enough, I saw a video the other day about cleaning the fluch tank. It advocated a 10% solution of domestic bleach, fill the tank, dont let it stand for more than 20 minutes, drain and fluch through with clean water twice. I was a bit surprised as I always believed you shouldnt put bleach anywhere near Thetford Toilets.
As the consequences can be pretty terrible if it goes wrong, I wouldn't do that even if advised to. The toilet cistern at home doesn't need anything, so why should a caravan?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
One needs to be careful of the chemicals contained in domestic cleaning products as I am told that they can cause crazing in the bowl or even make the bowl go brittle.

Jul 19, 2021
Visit site
We had a Bailey Pageant S6. My mother decided to help out and clean the bathroom for us when we were getting it ready for a 2 week holiday. Used bleach in on the hand basin which turned parts of it a different colour to the rest. So be very careful

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I asking due to a discussion on another forum. Buccaneers do not have a flush tank as it comes from the onboard tank. However people are buying the pink, mixing it with water and then spraying the loo after the business has been completed. I did not think that the pink was a cleaning agent so may be a waste of time and effort?
We do use a mixture of Fenwicks bathroom cleaner to spay the toilet each day to give it a decent clean. We use the same mixture for cleaning the basin and also the shower.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Zoflora is a disinfectant widely available from supermarkets and household goods shops.
It's highly concentrated, and it only needs a few drops to treat a bucketful of water.

There are several different fragrances.

Just a word of caution, it goes milky as you add it to water, which might be an indication that it contains carbolic acid. If you have pets - make sure any surfaces yo have used it on are completely dry before you allow pets to walk on them. Cats especially, as they can absorb contaminated moisture through their feet.

Aug 17, 2019
Visit site
What this item like ;)
Its better than useing the pink we had a problem with our flush pump so got my local caravan engineer to sort the problem out when he took the pump out of the tank it was full of black gunge which cloged the pump up comman problem with pick stuff he told me to start useing zoflra which has a nice smell but like the prof says only a few drops in the watering can then fill with fresh water infact we use aldi's own make now just as good and a 3rd of the price

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site
We (to be truthful, I mean Mrs Ern) wipes the vinyl flooring in the bed lockers with diluted Zoflora as it leaves an aroma which insects don't like. This is done when the lockers are emptied for cleaning between trips.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Its better than useing the pink we had a problem with our flush pump so got my local caravan engineer to sort the problem out when he took the pump out of the tank it was full of black gunge which cloged the pump up comman problem with pick stuff he told me to start useing zoflra which has a nice smell but like the prof says only a few drops in the watering can then fill with fresh water infact we use aldi's own make now just as good and a 3rd of the price
That sound alright and it got a nice odour :D

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Zoflora is a disinfectant widely available from supermarkets and household goods shops.
It's highly concentrated, and it only needs a few drops to treat a bucketful of water.

There are several different fragrances.

Just a word of caution, it goes milky as you add it to water, which might be an indication that it contains carbolic acid. If you have pets - make sure any surfaces yo have used it on are completely dry before you allow pets to walk on them. Cats especially, as they can absorb contaminated moisture through their feet.
We will buy this product and try it at home first :D

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I’ve used pink in current and previous van flush tanks with no adverse results such as black gunge or anything else, I found it keeps for a nice clean bowl without doubt, maybe the black gunge builds up if too much pink is used.

BP

Reactions: Hutch
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I’ve used pink in current and previous van flush tanks with no adverse results such as black gunge or anything else, I found it keeps for a nice clean bowl without doubt, maybe the black gunge builds up if too much pink is used.

BP
I use quite a strong mix and have not had the black gunge, over 10 years now in three different vans.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
We occasionally get traces of the black gunge but its never caused a problem.

For information, the video I referred to with the weak bleach solution was for the flush tank only. Was to be filled and drained through its drain tube, not via the bowl.

Mar 1, 2020
Visit site
Last trip out I had the black stuff. I've flushed out the tank with a Milton solution as suggested by Dan Trudgian and now bought some Zoflora. Plug and others suggest a couple of drops in the flush tank. Is that all that is required?

May 24, 2014
Visit site
One of the best things for preventing odours coming up is water itself. Think of your U Bend in the loo at home...............you cant smell the drain or sewer. As long as your toilet trap seal is in perfect order, there is nothing stopping you from pressing the flush very quickly and leaving half a centimetre of water standing on the trap. We have always done that and never have a problem with odours.

Aug 17, 2019
Visit site
Last trip out I had the black stuff. I've flushed out the tank with a Milton solution as suggested by Dan Trudgian and now bought some Zoflora. Plug and others suggest a couple of drops in the flush tank. Is that all that is required?
Yes thats all you need to do a few drops in the watering can fill with fresh water then into the flush tank easy peasy

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Never had an odour problem and never use the pink stuff. We find as long as there is the chemical in the base tank there is no real problem. Even if the cover is left open you only seem to get a chemical odour rather than a stink.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts