The two Clubs come good.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I know that there are mixed views of the two Clubs and I do have my likes and dislikes about them too. But there are times when their benefits do really help out. We were due to go abroad for three weeks today and had booked a number of sites and ferries with CMHC and CCC. Last Friday my father was hospitalised, and so yesterday I decided that the holiday trip had to be cancelled. It only took two phone calls to cancel the ferry and overseas elements and one to cancel Black Horse Farm( pre paid). Because of the proximity to the departure date there was a £75 loss on one site, £25 ferry admin and a £175 on another as we were within 7 days of arrival. Although CCC did reimburse the £15 booking fee. But as I had taken out Red Pennant I was fully expecting to have to get the Doctors to validate any insurance claim for reimbursement. However, as Red Pennant did not start until today the CMHC agent told me if I didn't want to make a claim and hadn't made a claim, then I could have a full refund on the policy fees. This means that in overall terms the finances pretty well balance with the benefit that I am freed of the need to pursue a insurance claim. And the good news is I still have my 4 CMHC overnight vouchers valid until end 2019 worth around £80.

So I am glad that I used the two Club's overseas services as we have done many times (in full or in part) for our trips. They have saved me quite a lot of possible hassle and minimal financial loss too.
And now once again heading north up the A429!

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
I didn't see the point of being in both clubs until recently, but the benefits seem to justify it. Even if it just avoids the non-member fee.
Best wishes for your father.
Paul.

Apr 19, 2017
Visit site
I think being a member of one or other of the main Clubs is worthwhile. Coming from a tenting background, my personal choice is C&CC, but overall I don't see a huge difference overall.

I cannot justify being a member of both though. The only possible reason would be to gain access to both networks of 5-van (CS/CL) sites. There is a current (typically controversial) thread on the CMC forum suggesting a 'Lite Membership' for say. £10, which would ONLY carry the benefit of being able to use their CL network. I would be all in favour of that! ....but can't for one minute either club adopting the idea :dry:

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We do the Red Pennant annual policy as it only costs a bit more than one for 30 days. That way we can book in advance and not worry about cancelling if a medical issue crops up. One of the few reasons why we stay members of the CC.

Apr 19, 2017
Visit site
Buckman said:
We do the Red Pennant annual policy as it only costs a bit more than one for 30 days. That way we can book in advance and not worry about cancelling if a medical issue crops up. One of the few reasons why we stay members of the CC.

I agree with you that this will be a better option for many people. Unfortunately the limit for any one trip is 66days, which excludes it for those of us who take longer trips, such as overwinter. If you then make another overseas trip during the year Red Pennant becomes a very expensive option. You will probably still want to buy UK cover separately and will have to buy a full year, even though you will not be in UK for a large chunk of the year.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
VicMallows said:
Buckman said:

I agree with you that this will be a better option for many people. Unfortunately the limit for any one trip is 66days, which excludes it for those of us who take longer trips, such as overwinter. If you then make another overseas trip during the year Red Pennant becomes a very expensive option. You will probably still want to buy UK cover separately and will have to buy a full year, even though you will not be in UK for a large chunk of the year.

We used Red Pennant fir the single three week trip which as it was single trip has actually saved me the hassle of making a claim as because the policy hadn’t clicked and there were no claims the policy refund counterbalanced the financial loss of one weeks site fees which were cancelled less than seven days before arrival. Our other overseas trip ex caravan are on single policies which do allow one or both of us to go, so we have flexibility. But we really didn’t plan it this way it’s just as it has turned out. If we had had the annual Red Pennant policy I couldn’t have cancelled it for a refund and would have faced the hassle of making a claim via various doctors affidavit and lots of letters and form filling. etc. without a guaranteed outcome.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts