Thetford Fridge FaultThetford - Igniting/Clicking

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
We have a 2010 Swift Challenger with the small Thetford type fridge with a problem.

Works fine on 240v mains but as soon as i select the gas mode it starts clicking then it ignites but it then keeps on clicking to ignite then after approx 20 seconds it shuts down and in the display screen it has a spanner and the number 9

Its probably an easy fix if someone could pointbme in the right direction.

Thanks in advance.

Tony.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I do not know the intimate design of your fridge, but your description tells me the fridge has a full function reigniting control circuit, and it will use an electronic form of flame detection. For some reason the circuit is not recognising the flame, and consequently 'locking out'. The flame detection system is a primary safety function.

You tell us it is igniting the gas, so it will be one of the following :-
The flame is the wrong size and is not reaching the flame detection probe. This could be due to insufficient gas pressure, or a partially blocked injector or burner . The burner could be damaged and not producing the correct flame pattern. The air port to the Venturi or the Venturi its self may be occluded, spiders webs can play havoc I with mixing the gas and air.

The flame detection probe may have corroded and distorted so it's no longer touching the flame. Debris may have fallen across the probe and shorting out the flame response. The flame detection circuit may have developed a fault.

It could be possible that very strong winds from a particular direction might affect the flame, but this is not very likely, as the design should have been tested for wind in all directions.

The resolution will almost certainly require stripping parts of the fridge down. I do not know the Austrailian regulations, but in the UK this kind of work is not recommended for DIYers and should be referred to a qualified technician, as the work involves a primary safety function of the appliance.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Gafferbill......Thanks for that info, yesterday it actualy lit and stayed on for about 30mins then it started clicking again then turned off displaying the spanner and the number 9

Yes mate i think anywhere is warmer than the uk and have to say since emigrating over 20 yrs ago i certainly do not miss the british weather although i do love summer in England.

32c=94f here on Queensland Sunshine Coast today but Adelaide are up into 40c+=110f+

Tony

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts