Thetford Fridge

Jun 10, 2023
Visit site
Hello! We have recently purchased a Moho privately and unfortunately didn’t check the fridge was working…it wasn’t and unfortunately had to replace it with a Thetford 3 way. We are currently camping and the fridge was fine for a couple of days but now we are getting a smell of gas in the van. My husband has been advised to silicone around it but is struggling to remove the top panel to silicone behind. Does anyone know if this panel comes off? Also the top external vent is hot now we have switched over to electric. Is that normal does anyone know? Thank you. Any advice would be appreciated.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The upper vent will get warmer particularly in this hot weather as the fridge is working harder. Cannot understand your comment wrt smelling gas. If you can smell gas there’s a leak somewhere so I cannot see how applying silicone will help other than stopping the smell coming in the vehicle. But the gas if it’s leaking will still be there. Given a new fridge has just been installed you need to check, or have checked, the various gas pipework and connections for safety’s sake.

Reactions: Mr Plodd
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Grandpavan.

GAS SAFETY. IF YOU SMELL GAS. GET EVERYONE OUT , CALL A GAS ENGINEER, Open the windows and door, Do not turn off OR on any electrical items, Only if it safe to do so turn the gas off at the cylinder.

Do not use the system at all until its been checked and the leak either properly repaired or isolated. This should be done by an LPG approved gas technician.

Silicon is not a suitable sealant for LPG.

Sorry if this interrupts the holiday.

Reactions: Dustydog
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
With regards to gas, We were having a couple of days in Northern France, on our way home. Every now and again we could smell gas, I bubble checked all the joints I could see, and nothing was obvious. Cooking was on the BBQ. The air was very still but still we could smell gas every now and again, upon pulling off the pitch, we realised we had a rats nest under the van and that's where the smell came from.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
With regards to gas, We were having a couple of days in Northern France, on our way home. Every now and again we could smell gas, I bubble checked all the joints I could see, and nothing was obvious. Cooking was on the BBQ. The air was very still but still we could smell gas every now and again, upon pulling off the pitch, we realised we had a rats nest under the van and that's where the smell came from.
That may be what happened to you, but it doesn't really help the OP because you shouldn't assume that the smell will be just a rat's nest and ignore the obvious possible danger of it being a real gas leak.

With gas and electricity You should always assume the worst and take appropriate action until its been proven to be something harmless.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts