Thetford offers free toilet fix kit

Aug 2, 2006
Visit site
Dear all - thought this may be of interest, particularly as it is fast approaching laying up time!

*PASTED FROM NEWS STORY ON HOME PAGE*

TOILET MANUFACTURER THETFORD has announced a free DIY fix for owners of vans fitted with its popular C-250 CWE unit.

Thetford is reacting to reports where the pump of the C-250 CWE toilet has broken. It claims the majority of cases have been due to frost damage although reports of problems with leaking flush tanks on this model were common soon after launch.
Simple Fix
The fix improves drainage of the C-250's flush water tank and the electric pump. It consists of an additional drain tube which is accessed through the service hatch door. This allows the toilet to be more comprehensively drained, minimising the chance of fresh water in the tank freezing when the van is laid up for winter.

Thetford says the kit only concerns toilets produced before 1st April 2010 but the kit is suitable for all installed C-250 CWE toilets. The retrofit is an easy 10 minute job which most users will find easy to do themselves.

To get the kit, complete with fixing instructions, email C250draintube@thetford.eu including the following information:
  • Name and address
  • Serial number (or code) of your toilet (which is located on the bottom of your holding tank)
  • Make, model and chassis number of your caravan

To see what is involved, the instructions on installing the additional drain can be downloaded by clicking here
Do you have a C-250 CWE?
If you don't know what toilet your caravan has, don't panic! If it is a UK touring caravan built from around 2009 onward, there is a good chance it has the CWE-250.
There are a couple of ways to identify it.

All C-250 models use an electric flush. If your toilet does not have an electric flush, it is not a C-250.

The C-250 has a wheeled waste container that is grey and orange in colour.

The swivel toilet bowl of the C-250 looked at from above looks circular. The older C-200 is more rectangular.

The service door on the outside of the caravan is a different shape with the C-250. The door hinges downward and is wider than it is tall. If your toilet service door is side-hinged, it is not a C-250.

If you are still not sure, email Thetford at the address above with the serial number of your toilet and it will advise whether your toilet is an affected model.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I got mine and fitted it 2 days ago(took about a week to come from Thetford)
Basically it is an extra drain tube that replaces a plastic U bend pipe so that there are now 2 rubber drain tubes alongside each other but coming from opposite sides
After draining the flush tank and operating the pump with no flush water coming out on removal of the plastic U bend it became apparent why the mod was needed but my sweatshirt soon dried out
smiley-cool.gif

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
Done mine friday.It now replaces the mod i done myself 2 winters ago..The first winter i drained down i realised water was still in the u bend so i removed it,While it was off i drilled a hole in botom and tapped a 6mm thead in it and then put a 6mm plastic screw in, which i then rmoved last winter to drain.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
This raises the question about the type of testing involved before a product is marketed. Surely the designers should have realised that a U bend will trap water and that in a cold climate the water will freeze and damage the unit? Why is it always left to Joe Public to do the testing? Same applies to PDI's on caravans.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for that Nigel.
I emailed Thetford and they replied by return confirming my DIY kit is on its way.
I've since discovered that Swift Talk Forum allerted their members to this problem as long ago as the 5th October.
Neither Bailey nor my dealer ever said anything , in fact I only had the Wyoming serviced last monday.

Anyway I'm glad you are on the ball, much appreciated.

Aug 2, 2006
Visit site
I contacted our DIY demon Doug King and he disputed that his C-250 had any drains at all as standard. Lo and behold, he went an looked and found the drain mounted inside, above the top edge of the service door. He claims it is not mentioned in the literature with the toilet and he has been draining his by pumping the water into the toilet bowl.

He has also requested the kit!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
On reading this thread I went and checked my Bailey Barcelona delivered Jan 2011 and the pipes look exactly like the pre DIY fix. I then requested the the free DIY fix only to be told by Thetford that according to their records my flush tank does not need the modification. As my pipes do not have the additional drain point on the U bend. Have Thetford made an internal modification to the pump to allow it to drain through the original drain point. Can anyone throw any light on this as I am baffled?
Jim C

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Maybe they have or maybe they have made a mistake in your case
You can achieve the same effect I think(if there is enough room below) if you remove the plastic tube U bend and after cutting it in half insert a Y or T piece with suitable plug
The mod they have made just extends the drain pipe so that it rests in the same place above the door as the original which it supplements
Or you can just remove and replace the plastic U bend on draindown

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-CARAVAN-WATER-PIPE-1-2-HOSE-Y-CONNECTOR-/180736782339?pt=UK_Campervan_Caravan_Accessories&hash=item2a14c07003#ht_1171wt_901

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
Jim
My van was manufactured April 2011 and i needed the fix. if as you say it looks pre modification i would get back onto thetford and if nessary e-mail them a picture.
Don't think, that with a brand new van you should be expected to start modifing

Aug 2, 2006
Visit site
Jim C,

The original release from Thetford did say that it was only needed for toilets built before a certain date, but also that the modification will still fit later models. It sounds like your Barcelona has a later build which has the internal modification.

Hope that helps!

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
How uncanny is that...
I had to replace my pump at the beginning of this season after noticing pink fluid across the bathroom floor. Found the pump body to be cracked, which I suspected from freezing. Cost me £30squid at the time for a replacement pump.
Sending of my Loo details asap to claim my BOG MOD...

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I believe that the problem with frozen pumps, is the water backs up into the less robust pump and cracks it. Now unless the later design has lifted the pump i cannot see how a re-enforce U bend will protect the pump.I have asked Thetford to clarify this, though I'm not holding my breath.Do you know how or what the modification is Nigel?
Jim C

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
They have in effect created a drain at the bottom of the U bend so that the water will not remain there
They have achieved this by replacing the U bend (not reinforcing)with the long rubber tube in my pic
This is really a U bend with an extended arm and drain hole plus stopper

Have a look here

http://www.thetford-europe.com/en/about-thetford/news/2011/improved-draining-solution-for-c250-cwe.aspx

The caption is a little misleading in stating new drain tube position as it is as well as the old drain tube not instead of
You can still see the old drain tube under the new one

Apr 1, 2007
Visit site
John, I believe Thetford's description is correct - the new black drain pipe does actually replace the short length of U shaped tubing.
What you can see in the picture is the other tube - that one was not the problem.
I emailed Thetford yesterday as our van is one of those affected - and the pump did crack last year and was replaced under warranty, due to design fault.
I had already removed the small piece of piping whilst the van id in storage for a couple of months before I heard about the remedy - so it looks like I have done half the job already!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have received a reply from Thetford today confirming that my caravans have been modified internally,
a copy and paste below.
Hi Jim, the pipe has indeed been modified internally to prevent the cold winter from damaging it although for your piece of mind I will happily send you a new tube to fit to your van this week.

Regards
Wayne
JGC

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Jim C said:
I have received a reply from Thetford today confirming that my caravans have been modified internally,
a copy and paste below.
Hi Jim, the pipe has indeed been modified internally to prevent the cold winter from damaging it although for your piece of mind I will happily send you a new tube to fit to your van this week.

Regards
Wayne
JGC
Not very good spelling from a reputable company as surely instead of "piece" it should read "peace". At least I have an excuse for poor grammar and spelling as I come from a bilingual country. LOL!
smiley-laughing.gif

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I spotted that too Surfer LOL. Very quick and useful reply from Thetford though.I will fit the mod when it arrives as a belt and bracers approach.
Jim C

May 15, 2007
Visit site
I sent an Email to Thetford last night and got a reply today saying its on its way. My toilet leaked into the van over Xmas even though it had been drained down, replaced under warranty, no problem. Like previously mentioned it must be a design fault that they were aware of as it was replaced witout any fus.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts