Thinking of a Vauxhall Antara, good idea?

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Wifey thinks we should change the car as it's getting on a bit. Am happy with our present X-trail 2.2 dci 4WD 54 plate which has done just 75,000. Looked at a number of new vehicles, tow an Olympus 534, and would like a lower weight ratio than my current X-trail at 85%. Looked for new Santa Fe and Sorento 2.2CDTi, but none available and would have to wait months as other forum members have indicated. Can get a new X-trail locally straight away but its pulling power is not much more than my present model. I then came across the Antara 2.2CDTi 4WD. with a 75% weight ratio and performance indicator at 72. Don't know what I'd have to wait for a new model but seem to be able to pick up a number of 2012 plated on-line. Am tempted, what do you think?

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
mikeH said:
Wifey thinks we should change the car as it's getting on a bit. Am happy with our present X-trail 2.2 dci 4WD 54 plate which has done just 75,000. Looked at a number of new vehicles, tow an Olympus 534, and would like a lower weight ratio than my current X-trail at 85%. Looked for new Santa Fe and Sorento 2.2CDTi, but none available and would have to wait months as other forum members have indicated. Can get a new X-trail locally straight away but its pulling power is not much more than my present model. I then came across the Antara 2.2CDTi 4WD. with a 75% weight ratio and performance indicator at 72. Don't know what I'd have to wait for a new model but seem to be able to pick up a number of 2012 plated on-line. Am tempted, what do you think?

Quite few positives reviews about towing etc, but the mpg is not as good as they claim it to be with a lot of people talking about 35mpg solo.

May 12, 2011
Visit site
Mike, are you comparing your X-trail to the 150 PS current offering, because I think the power, torque and kerbweight of the 173PS version is quite a bit more than yours. i.e. something like:-
Power 136 vs 173
Torque 314 vs 360
Weight 1525 vs 1725
Having said that, I think the Antara is a good car too, the boot is just a bit too small for my requirements.

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
We have the same query! Managed to get a cracking deal on a Vauxhall Antara Se nav 163 Bhp! We currently tow our Bailey unicorn Valencia win a Pergeout 4007 which we love! It only has 28,000 miles on clock but no longer any warrantee. The Antara Is being offered with a lifetime warrantee and a very high spec car for £19,000. Does this sound a good deal it marries up perfectly ratio wise according to what tow car! Just can't understand why they appear to be so heavily discounted! Can any one help please ASAP as deciding today or tomorrow whether to keep Pergeout or go for the Vauxhall

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
Hi , I have a 2009 Antara 2.0l cdti S . This car has plenty of power to tow our Olympus 534. 150bhp. I am very happy, van sits nice and level when hitched and rear suspension doesnt drop. So i would think a 2.2 with a 75% ratio would tow like a dream. These cars are well equiped and nice to drive.

Dougie............

Oct 6, 2008
Visit site
Mickrobbo34 said:
We have the same query! Managed to get a cracking deal on a Vauxhall Antara Se nav 163 Bhp! We currently tow our Bailey unicorn Valencia win a Pergeout 4007 which we love! It only has 28,000 miles on clock but no longer any warrantee. The Antara Is being offered with a lifetime warrantee and a very high spec car for £19,000. Does this sound a good deal it marries up perfectly ratio wise according to what tow car! Just can't understand why they appear to be so heavily discounted! Can any one help please ASAP as deciding today or tomorrow whether to keep Pergeout or go for the Vauxhall

On my second one from new.
First from 2009 to 2012 and my current one.
Both automatics and very capabable tow cars.

I tow at 1630 kg mtplm without issue, with a 163 auto awd exclusiv.
Have a look around here,

http://www.vauxhallownersnetwork.co.uk/index.php?forums/antara-brava-frontera-mokka-monterey.187/

As for discounted prices, there is upto a four month waiting list if you order from new.
Dealers have bought in stock so don't want them sat there, so reduce the price to move them.

It is a lot of car for not a lot of money.

Mat

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
I agree Mat, it's a lot of car with a lot of kit for the money. My only concern now is this DPF problem that I have read about a few times. Have you had any problems regarding this?

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
Hi Mickrobbo, I have had no problems with my Antara and cant say i have heard off any serious problems either. Go for the Antara i dont think you will be disappointed.
Dougie....

Oct 6, 2008
Visit site
Mickrobbo34 said:
I agree Mat, it's a lot of car with a lot of kit for the money. My only concern now is this DPF problem that I have read about a few times. Have you had any problems regarding this?

The DPF regen isn't a problem, it is the car doing its job.
Having an understanding of what the DPF does, helps.

I have had 3 in 3000 miles.
It is obvious when they are happening, it is the frequency at which they happen raises the issues.
Some are as often as every 300 miles.
If you do a lot of short stop/ start journeys, then you will get more regens as the dpf will collect soot more readily.

It is the burning off of this collected soot that is the regen.

Mat

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Thanks everyone. When looking for new wheels as well as the Antara, I was also looking at a new X-trail or Kia Sorento. Started doubting the Antara which many of the comparison sites judged as not the best deal, although at the back of my mind, I couldn't understand. By the posts, it seems that many think the Antara is a very good buy but was unable to track one down at the time. The Sorento KX-2 was unavailable to view and the dealer says a wait of at least six months perhaps even more is the norm. Also saw a Sante Fe on the forecourt of the local agent but when approached was met with "you can't have my demo. model, it's the only one I've got". I was now back to the X-trail, after also considering a Freelander, and hey-presto, local agent has an N-tec just arrived and it looks a great car. Trying to do a deal as there is an immediate discount with C.C. membership, wondering if there may be chance of more discount but will move the question to another post in order for the Antara post to continue. Havn't discarded the Freelander GS yet either. I really do find it difficult to come to a decision but will have to rush.

May 12, 2011
Visit site
mat said:
The DPF regen isn't a problem, it is the car doing its job.
Having an understanding of what the DPF does, helps.

I have had 3 in 3000 miles.
It is obvious when they are happening, it is the frequency at which they happen raises the issues.
Some are as often as every 300 miles.
If you do a lot of short stop/ start journeys, then you will get more regens as the dpf will collect soot more readily.

It is the burning off of this collected soot that is the regen.

Mat

The DPF story may be more complicated. There is a lot of discussion on internet forums, including the X-Trail one, where some people have had lots of DPF regen issues. However, I'm retired, do mostly short journeys, chug along at low revs, perhaps one long journey per month. I use the cheapest supermarket fuel I can find yet have only had two warning lights in 3 years which were quickly cleared by a quick drive up the nearest A road.
Others who drive many more long journeys get plagued with regens every month. Maybe driving enthusiastically causes problems as well, who knows. The fact is most diesels have them nowadays.

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
mikeH said:
Thanks everyone. When looking for new wheels as well as the Antara, I was also looking at a new X-trail or Kia Sorento. Started doubting the Antara which many of the comparison sites judged as not the best deal, although at the back of my mind, I couldn't understand. By the posts, it seems that many think the Antara is a very good buy but was unable to track one down at the time. The Sorento KX-2 was unavailable to view and the dealer says a wait of at least six months perhaps even more is the norm. Also saw a Sante Fe on the forecourt of the local agent but when approached was met with "you can't have my demo. model, it's the only one I've got". I was now back to the X-trail, after also considering a Freelander, and hey-presto, local agent has an N-tec just arrived and it looks a great car. Trying to do a deal as there is an immediate discount with C.C. membership, wondering if there may be chance of more discount but will move the question to another post in order for the Antara post to continue. Havn't discarded the Freelander GS yet either. I really do find it difficult to come to a decision but will have to rush.

well I have a Antara exclusive and it's the best car Iv owened, have a look at the forums. On the side of towing well its very capable of towing, don't go off the usual reviews, take one out and you will understand how good it is!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts