Thoughts appreciated

Aug 8, 2016
Visit site
Hi
We've had a disappointing day! We were at the final handover (at our local dealers) on a new to us 2008 Elddis Odyssey 524, when we asked for our damp report. They hadn't done one even though we specifically requested it at purchase. So we asked for them to do it then and there in front of us and the great workman (couldn't fault him!)came with his meter and discovered massive damp under a side window. We had already tested it ourselves and the reading was ridiculously high. I would really appreciate advise as to whether to proceed with them doing the work and guaranteeing it, or to move on to purchase another van. What are people's thoughts. Thank you!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
jallin said:
Hi
We've had a disappointing day! We were at the final handover (at our local dealers) on a new to us 2008 Elddis Odyssey 524, when we asked for our damp report. They hadn't done one even though we specifically requested it at purchase. So we asked for them to do it then and there in front of us and the great workman (couldn't fault him!)came with his meter and discovered massive damp under a side window. We had already tested it ourselves and the reading was ridiculously high. I would really appreciate advise as to whether to proceed with them doing the work and guaranteeing it, or to move on to purchase another van. What are people's thoughts. Thank you!

Depending on the level of damp it could be a relatively quick repair once it’s dried out. If the damp reading is high it could be a more complex job requiring affected timber/panels to be replaced.
My own view is that the dealer tried to con you. Any dealer worth their reputation would have supplied a recent damp report. I suspect they were expecting you to take the caravan and then at some stage claim under the warranty that they no doubt persuaded you to buy.

I’d take my business elsewhere. Caravans are not in short supply.

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
Walk away with a full refund, plenty of other dealers and many many more caravans to choose from.

I would have no confidence in the dealer given what you have related.

Jul 20, 2016
Visit site
What kind of dealer does not do a damp check? This suggests the van hasn't been serviced either (a damp check should be part of its service surely?). I would walk away. I have had a damp van, and it cost me 2k almost to be put right!

Aug 8, 2016
Visit site
Thank you everyone! The van did come with a 122 point check and 15 months warrantee apparently....they say they don't do damp reports unless requested but we did request it. It is a real shame and I really liked the caravan however like you have all said there are more vans and dealers about. Gutted!

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
It's all too easy to become sucked into a caravan purchase because you like that caravan, but when you agreed to buy it did you tell the sales person that you'd like to buy a damp caravan?
I'm guessing that your answer would be 'no, you didn't request a damp caravan', but the sales person decided to sell one to you nevertheless. Never buy a used caravan with no damp test to show that there are no hidden horrors, damp is the biggest killer of caravans.
Personally I'd never trust that dealership ever again, they tried to cheat you from the word go.

Aug 8, 2016
Visit site
Thank you all so much you have really helped us! The sad thing is these are a really major dealer - how many damp reports do they not do as standard??? How many like us drive away unsuspecting with a caravan full of damp? I am appalled - this isn't a little local dealers.... but very big!

May 7, 2012
Visit site
With damp at that level and a dealer who says he never checked I would reject the caravan and demand any monies paid over be returned. If you used a credit card or HP and there is a problem with the dealer you have rights against the credit suppliers as well.
There are plenty of other caravans out there so do not accept one that is faulty.
Well done for doing your own check as well which is something others should do.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
jallin said:
Thank you all so much you have really helped us! The sad thing is these are a really major dealer - how many damp reports do they not do as standard??? How many like us drive away unsuspecting with a caravan full of damp? I am appalled - this isn't a little local dealers.... but very big!

Its just like buying car, in my experience small local dealers try that much harder to keep the customers on side. A friend of mine bought his new Swift dealer special from a major west country outlet, but was very dissatisfied with their follow up service when some things required fixing that he felt they should fix. This is a guy who thinks nothing of installing a kitchen, ensuite or building an extension! So he's now moved it to the Swift main dealer that I use who area small Swift/Coachman outlet and who give great support.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Raywood said:
With damp at that level and a dealer who says he never checked I would reject the caravan and demand any monies paid over be returned. If you used a credit card or HP and there is a problem with the dealer you have rights against the credit suppliers as well.
There are plenty of other caravans out there so do not accept one that is faulty.
Well done for doing your own check as well which is something others should do.

I agree with your comments, but it is a sad reflection on the industry when we have to do our own damp checks prior to acceptance. My present caravan had a full NCC service report when I went to pick it up. But no damp report. When I queried it I was told that it had 12 months platinum cover for damp, mechanicals etc. Reading the small print it didn't cover cracked plastic panels. But anyway the technician did a damp test with me looking over his shoulder.. He covered the areas in good detail so I was satisfied. But it did occur to me that you do put your trust in the dealers integrity, and its not difficult to just fill in the form is it if the dealer is less than scrupulous? 12 months later when I had it serviced just before the insurance warranty ran out.... a small area of damp caused by guess what? Rear panel cracking. But Tilshead Caravans and Swift were excellent a new rear panel was fitted under the 6 year damp ingress warranty. Oh the benefits of a full service history and an up to date damp check.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I find it hard to believe that any large dealer will not do a damp report on a caravan knowing full well that you have 30 days to reject the caravan anyway. You need to get back all your money and find another reputable dealer.
We had excellent service from Northam Farm in Somerset so depending where you are located, it may be worthwhile contacting them.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It is now well known fact that problems of water ingress in caravans do occur and that it usually spells relatively high cost repairs or the risk the caravan will rapidly devalue and or be scraped sooner rather than later. It almost as inevitable as rain in the UK, taxes and death.

It is so well documented in forums and I am sure in the caravan manufacturers warranty records, yet the industry still chooses to ignore it, and tries to blame the user rather than their own sloppy design, development and assembly techniques.

A full certified damp report should be a mandatory part of every second hand caravans sales report. not a casual option as it seems to be.

Come on dealers tell me why you don't do them as standard?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
It is now well known fact that problems of water ingress in caravans do occur and that it usually spells relatively high cost repairs or the risk the caravan will rapidly devalue and or be scraped sooner rather than later. It almost as inevitable as rain in the UK, taxes and death.

It is so well documented in forums and I am sure in the caravan manufacturers warranty records, yet the industry still chooses to ignore it, and tries to blame the user rather than their own sloppy design, development and assembly techniques.

A full certified damp report should be a mandatory part of every second hand caravans sales report. not a casual option as it seems to be.

Come on dealers tell me why you don't do them as standard?

Good posting and should be a sticky!

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Hopefully you've been able to use the lovely sunny weather this weekend to visit other dealers. A pun springs to mins with this one = you've heard of 1 to 6 berth caravans - this one is a 'wide berth'!

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I traded in my first caravan to a dealer who is no longer trading, Caravan land , Banbury. They tried to say I had damp above the shower window, surprise, and wanted £600 less on the PX. I fought the case down to £200 , but I am sure the never repaired the area before selling on a really nice caravan.
Any one buying, demand a damp report, they give the van one when they buy it,

Dec 7, 2017
Visit site
In my opinion run and run fast again in my opinion the dealer would have known that the van was damp and probably gave a vastly reduced trade in to the last owner
Get a full refund and find a reputable dealer Regards
Michael

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts