Thoughts on security measures [when not parked at a secure storage]

Jun 16, 2023
Visit site
I wonder what's stopping thieves to come with pneumatic scissors and cut off all standard security measures such as wheel locks, hitchlock, wheel clamps, etc

All they need as a minivan with a compressor or even without a compressor just to bring enough air.
1 min and they are ready to go and nobody hears anything.

Or put your van on dolleys, tow around the block and have all the time they need to cut off everything.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Nothing is so secure that it cannot be overcome. Basically what the devices provide is time which is the enemy of the thieves. Essentially most are lazy and will go for the least protected model but sometimes they want a specific size or layout or even model. The more desirable or meeting the thieves needs then he harder they will go for this. There are losses of heavily protected models and times when thieves are put off by even basic devices, there are no rules. The simple answer is hat the better protected a caravan is the less chance there is of it being stolen but even the best equipt thieves need far more than a minute to steel a caravan.
Never heard of them putting the van on dollies , far too difficult and risky.

Jun 16, 2023
Visit site
Basically what the devices provide is time which is the enemy of the thieves.
Yep so I imagine it won't take longer than couple of minutes to cut everything off. The hitchlock can stay I actually can't understand why it is even considered as a security measure.
RE dollies - what's the risk there? Just don't drive fast and should be ok

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Yep so I imagine it won't take longer than couple of minutes to cut everything off. The hitchlock can stay I actually can't understand why it is even considered as a security measure.
RE dollies - what's the risk there? Just don't drive fast and should be ok
The ALKO premium secure lock is not easy to remove. Even with a cutter it will take awhile and probably the cutter will damage the hitch anyway.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I wonder if someone is reading this thread looking for ways around security systems and what to do to beat them?
They only have to search earlier threads and it’s all there, complete with pictures, and ”helpful” links. These guys aren’t idiots so I doubt there’s anything here that adds to their knowledge base. But I tend not to contribute technically to this type of thread for obvious reasons.

Reactions: Buckman
Aug 24, 2021
Visit site
Improve your security hugely by not buying a twin axle caravan.

Advice given to me by a CID officer wnen taking our statement after our twin axle was stolen = and recovered.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I am afraid twin axle models are the most at risk. They cost more and are more attractive therefore but possibly because they are best to live in if that is what you do.

Reactions: Challenger
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The OP asks in the title

"Thoughts on security measures [when not parked at a secure storage"​

The problem is most storage sites cannot/will not guarantee security so the implication that your more secure using a storage site is not always realistic expectation.

Whether at a storage site or elsewhere the most effective protection is to make your caravan less appealing than others.

However you should follow your insurers requirements, otherwise if you do suffer a loss the insurer might decline the claim.

Reactions: Dustydog
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
TA or SA the older your caravan gets the less attractive to the professional thieves. I suspect the OP had in mind a motorway service area. By all means use one but never leave the car and caravan unattended. If you must the use every security device you have. Thieves use low loaders , hoists and in the blink of an eye she’s gone 😥😥

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I think he risk at services is low judging b he statistics the C&CC published some time ago but it is there. Thieves have been known to simply unhook an unguarded caravan and attach it to something else and disappear although as hey are normally on CCTV this is risky. The best defence there is simply using a hitch lock to fasten he caravan to the car as that is very difficult to overcome.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts