Tidying Up an old Bessacarr!

Jul 27, 2020
Visit site
We just pulled out an old rotter from the back of the garden! It's been sat there a decade or more! It's a Bessacarr Cameo 550 GL, guessing early to mid 90s.

It has had some water ingress which is now sealed up and I intend to sort the rotten/soft wall out to try and seal in the damp smell. I have ply coming for that and the caravan is dying out nicely with a dehumidifier. I am looking at small jobs to do in the mean time and I have a question about blinds.

Is it possible to buy blackout blind material on a roll to cut and attach to rollers and fit yourself? I can't seem to find replacements on ebay, certainly not for sensible money but not at all in the correct size. The frame etc is all fine, it's just the blind which is damaged along the edge. So I was wondering if I could buy a roll of the material and glue it to the roller myself, and attach the holding piece at bottom used to pull it down. Does anyone know if that's feasible?
Thanks

Jul 27, 2020
Visit site
I actually did a temp job using polytunnel tape along the edges to stick it all in line and help it run (stiffen edge slightly). It's a bodge while I find the proper stuff to replace on the roller, but it's working quite nicely in the runner. I didn't take pics sorry but I may have another to do so I will try and remember then.

Re the blinds - thanks but that look likes cloth stuff. I was hoping to find the original waterproof foil backed stuff, I did only look on my phone though (which i hate using) so I will have another look on the computer shortly. thanks again

Jul 27, 2020
Visit site
We sadly have 4 cushions with nasty stains from mould/damp, the ones by the side window which blew off and wasn't noticed for .... er.... perhaps a year! We can't afford to spend much so I was hoping to find some replacements on ebay but this model is pretty old and that seems unlikely. If anyone has any tips or ideas I would love to hear em! Either for removing the stains (not sure if they are washable, doubt it) or for replacing/recovering them. Last resort my wife said she can dye them a dark brown. That seems a good last resort but it would be nice if there was some magic potion which could remove the stains and keep the pattern!

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We sadly have 4 cushions with nasty stains from mould/damp, the ones by the side window which blew off and wasn't noticed for .... er.... perhaps a year! We can't afford to spend much so I was hoping to find some replacements on ebay but this model is pretty old and that seems unlikely. If anyone has any tips or ideas I would love to hear em! Either for removing the stains (not sure if they are washable, doubt it) or for replacing/recovering them. Last resort my wife said she can dye them a dark brown. That seems a good last resort but it would be nice if there was some magic potion which could remove the stains and keep the pattern!

Buy some cushions from your nearest Dunelm?

Jul 27, 2020
Visit site
Thanks but we don't have a Dunelm anywhere near me, never been in one but if you mean just generic cushions - no I want to get it as original as possible (accepting I may have to give up on the colours/pattern). This makes up a single bed which will be used as well so the cushions need to be same size etc. thanks though

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Re the blind material , here is one place that I found which sells replacement blinds for Seitz units but looking at the price are you sure you want to go that route?

As far as cushions go here is a very good source of custom cut cushion foam, the covers would have to be made by sourcing a suitable material and either making the covers up at home or using a company that does make covers up.

Jul 27, 2020
Visit site
Thanks Damian. Crikey £65! I wish I could find the blind material by the metre, as my spindle things are all working nicely after a squirt of grease!

Re the cushions - the foam I have is fine I think. it's just the darn covers!! Maybe I will just have to keep a watch on ebay and hope some come up on there. I wouldn't know where to start with getting the cushions recovered but that's an option, probably expensive though too as it must be tricky work! thanks again

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Regarding the covers, it rather depends on how good you or your good lady is at machining, you could deconstruct the covers carefully and use the material as a template for a new material.
There are quite a lot of places that sell reasonably priced material.

Quote " my spindle things are all working "
I dont think the spindle is included in the blind material advert, just the material !!!

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
If you can get the covers off, then a gentle but long soak in some stain remover like vanish followed by a gentle wash ( you don’t want to shrink them) May do more good than you imagine. If it doesn’t then you can fall back on dying them.
Mel

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
i just had my cushion done at a upholstery i am sure if you rang one they will tell you how to get the stains out.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We just pulled out an old rotter from the back of the garden! It's been sat there a decade or more! It's a Bessacarr Cameo 550 GL, guessing early to mid 90s.

It has had some water ingress which is now sealed up and I intend to sort the rotten/soft wall out to try and seal in the damp smell. I have ply coming for that and the caravan is dying out nicely with a dehumidifier. I am looking at small jobs to do in the mean time and I have a question about blinds.

Is it possible to buy blackout blind material on a roll to cut and attach to rollers and fit yourself? I can't seem to find replacements on ebay, certainly not for sensible money but not at all in the correct size. The frame etc is all fine, it's just the blind which is damaged along the edge. So I was wondering if I could buy a roll of the material and glue it to the roller myself, and attach the holding piece at bottom used to pull it down. Does anyone know if that's feasible?
Thanks

Have a look on Ebay for your blinds you never know you might get lucky

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Google Peak Caravan Upholstery
You want to know how you get stains out of your cushions why don"t ring them or you could send a message on facebook your choice .

Reactions: johnfrosty

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts