Time to get through French ports

May 15, 2023
Visit site
Hi ,We have not used been on a ferry to France since before Brexit, I'm presuming the days of being waved off the boat and out of the port in a matter of minutes have gone! how long should we expect it to take these days, we will be traveling to St-Malo later in the year on what I'd imagine will be a busy crossing.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi ,We have not used been on a ferry to France since before Brexit, I'm presuming the days of being waved off the boat and out of the port in a matter of minutes have gone! how long should we expect it to take these days, we will be traveling to St-Malo later in the year on what I'd imagine will be a busy crossing.
Are there not French border officials in your port of departure? Going via Dover the delays are the processing of passports by French border officials sited in Dover, but once at Calais disembarking seems pretty smooth with no further delays.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We went via Roscoff last year, pole position getting off the boat, passports checked and waved through, so fast they forgot to stamp our passports, problem came when we came back, as passports not stamped inbound.

Reactions: otherclive
Jan 9, 2018
Visit site
We went Eurotunnel to France on 24 May this year, a journey which we have been doing, tunnel and ferry, for 30 years.
Having had the done the usual layby area gas check we normally have no trouble joing the queue (if any) to go through UK Passport Control. This time when leaving the the layby we were forced to do a "Z" turn over some kerb stones to join the UK Passport queue as there were at least 5/6 cars for each of the 4 UK controls that were open. Having been processed we went through to the French Passport booths, of which there only 2 controls open and no queue. The French stamped our passports and wished us a Happy Holiday in perfect english which took all of about 30 secs. There were no French customs checks or questions. In summary the French were at least twice as efficient as the UK and friendlier. Returning last week the queueing was for the UK booths, not the French.

Reactions: otherclive
Sep 4, 2017
Visit site
We went Eurotunnel to France on 24 May this year, a journey which we have been doing, tunnel and ferry, for 30 years.
Having had the done the usual layby area gas check we normally have no trouble joing the queue (if any) to go through UK Passport Control. This time when leaving the the layby we were forced to do a "Z" turn over some kerb stones to join the UK Passport queue as there were at least 5/6 cars for each of the 4 UK controls that were open. Having been processed we went through to the French Passport booths, of which there only 2 controls open and no queue. The French stamped our passports and wished us a Happy Holiday in perfect english which took all of about 30 secs. There were no French customs checks or questions. In summary the French were at least twice as efficient as the UK and friendlier. Returning last week the queueing was for the UK booths, not the French.
Hi

Did you use the Le Shuttle?
May I ask a few questions:
You spoke about doing a layby area gas check? What does this include and where does it actually happen?
What other thiings are checked? For example did you have "high vis" jackets in your car?
In other words what are the key ponts to comply with and be aware of?
Did you use an overnight layover the night before and if so where?
Any interisting points will be of interest!
On the matter of "car and van" insurance what did you do? For breakdown cover the AA tell me they can arrange reciprocity in Europe?
Did you carry a van spare wheel on the trip?
What is this "green card" and did you carry one?
Cheers

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
OP mentioned Eurotunnel. Hi viz jackets aren’t checked although once in France the police could check but unlikely. Green cards not required. There’s no such things as car and van insurance. Whilst towing the van is covered by the drivers car policy. When not towing it’s up to the owner to decide what insurance is required. My normal caravan insurance covered overseas trips, but fir breakdowns I used CMHC Red Pennant who provide cover for car and van just like Mayday. Fir personal cover we generally used CMHC too.

The Border Force and French official checks are basically to record who is leaving U.K. and who is entering France. Immigration formalities. Eurotunnel/shuttle also require Advance Passenger Infirmation details to be supplied in advance. Just like airlines and ferries.

Reactions: Grey13
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Forgot to mention that French immigration checks are also to record when you enter France//EU for the 90 day in 180 day limits. Should you be so fortunate 🤣

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
. Whilst towing the van is covered by the drivers car policy.

Just to clarify, that statement is not totally accurate.

Whilst attached to a towing vehicle any damage caused by the caravan to anything else other than the caravan is covered by the towing vehicles insurance. Any damage to the caravan is not covered. Neither is any damage to the caravan if it is unhitched. To cover any of those situations the caravan needs to have its own insurance cover.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Just to clarify, that statement is not totally accurate.

Whilst attached to a towing vehicle any damage caused by the caravan to anything else other than the caravan is covered by the towing vehicles insurance. Any damage to the caravan is not covered. Neither is any damage to the caravan if it is unhitched. To cover any of those situations the caravan needs to have its own insurance cover.
Grateful for the clarification, but why do you insert bold text so often in your posts. My comprehension skills haven’t deteriorated that much with age. 😂

Reactions: Mr Plodd
Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
Forgot to mention that French immigration checks are also to record when you enter France//EU for the 90 day in 180 day limits. Should you be so fortunate 🤣
At present there is no automated system for checkington the 90 in any 280 day rule other than someone going through the various stamps in your passport (very time consuming and tedious) which is why the EU is attempting to bring in an EU wide computer system to do it automatically.
That system has been delayed a number of times, my suspicion is that it is years away from implementation. Many nations agreeing on one computer system? Yeah right!

But of course that doesn't mean the 90 in 180 day rule isn't enforceable ;)

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
At present there is no automated system for checkington the 90 in any 280 day rule other than someone going through the various stamps in your passport (very time consuming and tedious) which is why the EU is attempting to bring in an EU wide computer system to do it automatically.
That system has been delayed a number of times, my suspicion is that it is years away from implementation. Many nations agreeing on one computer system? Yeah right!
It’s 180 day rule.

Jan 9, 2018
Visit site
To answer "Grey13" queries all motor homes, caravans are checked by physically security on all ferries and the Shuttle to ensure that the gas bottles are turned off.
Regarding HiViz jackets, I always carry them for all the occupants in both of my cars anyway.
Sometimes we drive straight to Folkstone shuttle and stay near Calais or stop at a CL very near Folkstone and go over in the morning. The site we always use is "Camping Les Erables" at Escalles. Basic but with most amazing views across the channel to Dover, it is also ACIS.
We use Red Pennant for personal insurance and Saga for the caravan insurance.
We never travel anywhere without a spare wheel for the car and caravan. I don't buy a car unless it has a spare wheel. Both of my cars come supplied with spare wheels (Hyundai I10 and 2018 Kia Sorento).
We also use an "emovis" tag for french motorways. The tag fee is worth the cost at not stopping at the toll booths and keeping my wife happy as she doesn't have to crawl under the car if the credit card is dropped.

Reactions: Grey13 and Hutch
Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
The tunnel staff are very conscientious about gas cylinders being turned off.
Ferry tends to be very patchy, I haven't even been asked about it for the last 6/7 crossings, both to France and Spain. (Brittany Ferries can't comment about other operators)

I also refuse to travel without spare wheels ( after market space saver with the car due to the huge size of a "proper" spare at 225 45 x19 o_O )

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I’ve never had the caravan gas cylinders checked outbound or inbound on ferries on Dunkerque, Le Havre, Caen or Cherbourg routes. LexShuttle yes.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts