Time to renew home insurance- to cover long absences whilst abroad

PTA

Mar 5, 2020
Visit site
We are planning to extend our annual caravan stays within Spain and Portugal (but still within the 90 day rule).
We now need a home insurance policy that will cover us for what appears to be the 30 day absence limit of most policies.
Can anyone recommend an insurer who will do that?
All responses appreciated.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
We are planning to extend our annual caravan stays within Spain and Portugal (but still within the 90 day rule).
We now need a home insurance policy that will cover us for what appears to be the 30 day absence limit of most policies.
Can anyone recommend an insurer who will do that?
All responses appreciated.
Use a comparison site - one of the filters allows length of time away to be varied - we're with Sainsbury's with up to 60 days away cover.

Reactions: PTA
Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
LV were doing 180 days, and if you already have another policy with them you get a discount on both. Their rates for car insurance and European travel/personal insurance are also well in the slot, and as an organisation IME they are a delight to deal with.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
My first approach would be to ring my insurers and ask if they can accept 90 days and what the cost and T&C would be. When my fathers flat was empty for a year his insurer extended cover. They were Castlegate/Towergate. But the T&C required someone to visit within each 7 day period.

https://www.moneysupermarket.com/home-insurance/unoccupied/
That’s worse than his standard cover. Kind of defeats the objective Clive. However agree ask current Insurer first. Also make sure both buildings and contents insurers are briefed if not a combined policy

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
That’s worse than his standard cover. Kind of defeats the objective Clive. However agree ask current Insurer first. Also make sure both buildings and contents insurers are briefed if not a combined policy
I know but at the time I needed to sort Dads things out to cover risks. It was an open ended policy so could have gone for 12 months or more if renewed. In the particular case it wasn’t too onerous as I was travelling weekly or if not one of his neighbours just popped their head in and took dated photo. Sublime.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Most insurers will give you cover for over 60 days if you ask but will do this subject to specific conditions and possibly a premium. Even the sixty day cover may be subject to conditions for Winter absence or long periods within the 60 days.

PTA

Mar 5, 2020
Visit site
Thanks folks.
It's also possible to take out separate cover just to insure for the period of absence.
Need to do cost analysis.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts