To hot and miserable

Nov 2, 2005
Visit site
it's so hot here we are on the med got here at last having never been before.. firswt night 26 bites upto to 30 now hubby and kids have a few....all reacting to them antistermines doing no good.

Came over with camping cheques the first champs blancs only had room for 2 nights so we moved over to this site, called fluer de camargue .

Well, just miserable, going to shops tosee if I can get anything stronger for bites..... did my self with autan the first night which I know is good but they got me 26 times so 2nd night did autan and mosiguard did same last night and 4 more bites that's more than enough

I could cry now ants in van and a ater leak...

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Smilie, it sounds as though you're ready to come home! I'm sorry your holiday is being spoilt by the little b*ggers. If you can find it over there, get some Avon "skin so soft". It beats of Isle of Skye midges in July, and there ain't no meaner midges than them!

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
emmerson said:
Smilie, it sounds as though you're ready to come home! I'm sorry your holiday is being spoilt by the little b*ggers. If you can find it over there, get some Avon "skin so soft". It beats of Isle of Skye midges in July, and there ain't no meaner midges than them!
I was once called a southern softy by a Yorkshire lass, but it appears not,midges are one thing mosquito's are quite another.
Smiley, assuming you are using plug in insect repellents in your van? with those blue tablets? these kill them dead but they actually but the scent on you too so it gives some more added protection. buy plenty of fresh lemons cut them into four and place on outside table when you are sitting outdoor,if they start to dry out squeeze a little so the juice comes back to the surface,the citrus smell also keeps them at bay.
When using these repellents like autan,you still need to use them regular,and especially on you feet,behind the knees and underarms.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
I'm not a sun worshipper smiley but I don't find the dry Med heat as bad as our humid heat (when we get any that is).
As for the Camargue you couldn't be in a worse place than there for the mozzies. At one time they use to fly over in aircraft spraying the marshes although I'm not sure if they still do it.
It reminds me of one of the times we hired a cruiser on the Canal du Midi and we cruised as far as the Camargue. We were with friends who were in another boat. We decided to moor up one evening and as twilight set in the frogs started. It was deafening. It was then that we realised that behind the line of trees was a marsh but my main concern was not being able to sleep because of the frogs. That night our friends came to our boat for a game of cards and a few bevvies. When it was time to go back to their boat I drew back the blinds on the door and the door window was black with mozzies which had been attracted by the light. I opened the windscreen blinds and that was also black with mozzies. This was where I made a big mistake. I turned on the wipers squashing thousands of the buggers. Come morning and with the heat they had baked themselves onto the windscreen and it took ages with a lot of elbow grease to clean them off
smiley-frown.gif

Happily thousands of frogs croaking was quite soothing and soon sent us off to sleep after I'd managed to hunt down the mozzies who had managed to get into the boat.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Smiley
Whatever you do , DO NOT scratch the bites. I did a few years ago and still have the purple blotches on my arms and legs !
smiley-cry.gif

Scarred for life.
In addition to all the other suggestions, ice cubes do help. Rubbed on the bite that is.
I'm sure you have also bought some ant killer so that will keep those little buggers at bay. Hope the rest of your holiday improves.
smiley-kiss.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts