To TV or Not TV in the caravan??

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Our Wyoming was supplied new with an aerial and 12v TV. We use our full Sky package , a mobile dish and usually secure a first class picture and range of programmes wherever we go. Clachtoll excepted🙀

Caravanning is about freedom of choice and enjoying our twilight years as best we can. We only buy a newspaper on a Saturday so breakfast news on tv is of interest to us.
This years World Cup football was great entertainment as was the Olympics in Paris. Plus I do enjoy University Challenge. Keeps the grey cells going.
Like Ian we have two TVs . One in the bedroom one in the lounge.

The TV does not stop us walking exploring sight seeing and as members for decades of the National Trust you can guess how many properties we have explored.

The anti TV brigade are fully entitled to their view . In the immortal words of the legendary Lord Braykewynde I apologise profusely that I have not insulted them before🤪

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Our van came with an integrated TV that swivels toward the lounge or bedroom, an excellent arrangement for our purposes.

We are not great TV watchers but desire to keep up with the news, take a little light entertainment and my weakness to watch F1, be that at home or away from home.

If the on site company is good, if the weather is good then we opt to partake and very much enjoy these. The latter tends to be seasonal, so the reality is that a dark, raining evening, alone on a 5 van site, we tend to watch a few bits of selective TV, but then that's the pattern be it at home or away.

Whilst some, the younger it seems, barely 70, can't understand why we might, but then I can't understand why they feel as they do. Though more particularly why they feel a need to throw this in, completely out of context, where for example the thread relates to TV technical issues.

Some of the anti TV use arguments quote physical or even cognitive activities that are no longer options as age etc rob some of us or ours to partake, even reading becomes a strain. Those who claim they can't understand, have clearly not even thought.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Our Wyoming was supplied new with an aerial and 12v TV. We use our full Sky package , a mobile dish and usually secure a first class picture and range of programmes wherever we go. Clachtoll excepted🙀

Caravanning is about freedom of choice and enjoying our twilight years as best we can. We only buy a newspaper on a Saturday so breakfast news on tv is of interest to us.
This years World Cup football was great entertainment as was the Olympics in Paris. Plus I do enjoy University Challenge. Keeps the grey cells going.
Like Ian we have two TVs . One in the bedroom one in the lounge.

The TV does not stop us walking exploring sight seeing and as members for decades of the National Trust you can guess how many properties we have explored.

The anti TV brigade are fully entitled to their view . In the immortal words of the legendary Lord Braykewynde I apologise profusely that I have not insulted them before🤪
What caused you to post this :oops: ?

Oh... I've just seen the other thread....

Mar 3, 2022
Visit site
Ours is currently visiting a very nice man from the local " Mens Shed" who hopefully will speak nicely to it and persuade it to work again.
Away at the moment and don't miss it one bit!

• Haha
Reactions: Dustydog
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
We‘re not great TV watchers in the caravan, but for those who can do without, can‘t one order the caravan without TV and provisions for one?
My TV as part of the purchase was 15 years ago. No idea if similar offers happen today?

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Mrs H, seems to need the background noise of the TV, both whilst at home or away in the van. She knits or plays Suduko whilst listening to the box. The news is great. In the morning and at night. Each to there own as Beach ball would say.
I did find having the TV on whilst in France an advantage to learning the language, news and weather reports.etc.
Myself I can sit and think, at times I just sit.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I bought a new Bailey Series 5 in 2005 and the tv aerial and amplifier all came a a standard fitment. No mention that it could be not included. But I would have kept it anyway, as for one thing it would have aided resale, and the other is that we both watch tv.

Reactions: Dustydog
Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Not in Britain. Do German manufacturers offer that option?
Yes, if it’s standard, there’s nearly always a delete option. Alternatively, if not standard, it would be available as an add option. The options list is often as long as your arm. Except for top of the range models it’s almost possible to double the base price if you check all options, but then it would probably be more expensive than a standard top of the range model with no further options. This is because the manufacturers make their profit on options, not on the standard model where they try to keep the price down to make it more attractive.

Last edited:

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
I've come across folks who don't want or need a TV....us for one/two.....but never anyone who was Anti TV. But it wouldn't surprise me if there were. Social Media provides a platform for Anti Anything these days.

Just to clarify.... when most of us refer to TV in these discussions we really mean the content available on them and not just the box itself. I have a Television but don't receive programmes on it.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
OH suffers from tinnitus and needs sound in the background so either TV or radio is on.

Some top of the range caravans come standard with 32" TV fitted and they work on either 12v or 240v.

Content on TV can be dubious most of the time which is why we prefer to stream. Nothing more relaxing for us than watching a film in the evenings when it is dark and wet outside.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts