Todlers sleeping arrangements - can anyone help

Jun 1, 2008
Visit site
Hi. Does anyone know of anything that can be used on the bottom bunk of a 5 berth van to stop todlers escaping from the bunk? Currently we use a travel cot, but have another little one on the way so will not be able to do this from a space point of view. If anyone has any top tips please let us know!!

Apr 6, 2008
Visit site
Hi John

We are about to go away for the very first time with our new van and have the same issue as to how to keep our 23 month old in her bunk. A travel cot won't fit, but we have a bed guard. I was a bit concerned about it tipping over, but Mick C has provided the perfect solution..it never occurred to me to tie the arms to the bunk slats!

Thanks for this. I'll let you know how it works :->

Angel

Sep 5, 2006
Visit site
Yep - a normal bed guard with the legs fastened to the bed slats. I use rubber bands for this instead of trying to tie bits of string.

Also, the bed guard when not in use fits neatly behind the seat back rest cushion.

Jul 18, 2006
Visit site
We, like Brian, have made our own, but instead of wood, we used a extandable curtain pole, netting material, and net-curtian wire, combined with plastic tubing (overlow pipe) and laces.

It is rigid, cannot be moved away from the sides of the bottom bunk and is kept in place at the back of the cushions by the net-curtian wire.

Our son was 14 months old when we first used it and he is now 27 months old. He is only now able to climb over it, but we will soon be parents again and so will have to think about how we are going to accomodate a 2 1/2 year old with a newborn in our 4 berth with bunk beds.

Jan 7, 2007
Visit site
We, like Brian, have made our own, but instead of wood, we used a extandable curtain pole, netting material, and net-curtian wire, combined with plastic tubing (overlow pipe) and laces.

It is rigid, cannot be moved away from the sides of the bottom bunk and is kept in place at the back of the cushions by the net-curtian wire.

Our son was 14 months old when we first used it and he is now 27 months old. He is only now able to climb over it, but we will soon be parents again and so will have to think about how we are going to accomodate a 2 1/2 year old with a newborn in our 4 berth with bunk beds.
The bed guards are a good idea but any child with mobility and an adventerous mind (like my daughter) will soon attempt to climb over it (!). The guard I built mentioned above, is virtually as high as the gap between the mattress base and the top bunk - I suppose it is a bit of a jail but at least I know she is safe and she seems to be quite happy with it as its the same view as her cot at home :)

Jul 3, 2006
Visit site
We visited our local agricultural merchant who sold us a splendid electric fence unit but it caught the wife by the u no whats as she leaned over so we cut a piece of plywood to size that fits behind the bunk supports at each end

Jul 18, 2006
Visit site

So is ours Brian, he can only just get over it (it is about 2' 1/2 to 3' above the base of the bunk, and I have had to catch him a couple of times as he ahs tried.

We may not be able to se that when No 2 comes along as whoever was on the bottom bunk would be trapped in under the top bunk, so some modifications will be needed.

Sep 14, 2008
Visit site
We have a 2 year old who has slept in the bottom fixed bunk since she was approx 6 months old. Heres how we did it.

We fixed a bed guard (as previously stated)and tied it to the slats underneath. Then we wedged the side of a cot (which you can get cheap second hand) behind it and tied the top to the slats on the top bunk and the bottom to the tubing of the bed guard. All ties were velcro. This arrangment keeps her in because if it was just the bed guard she would climb over it. The velcro is easily undone so its easy to get her in and out.

Hope this helps, Helen

Jan 28, 2008
Visit site
Hi all

We use a pretty stabndard travel bed guard. Have never seen the need to tie it down, and it has never tipped up yet, despite the monkeys climbing over it!

One useful tip I found was to get some 1" foam cut to the right shapes to put on the bed slats between the bed guard arms. This helps to make the cushions a bit more level for the little princess to sleep on. It works for us on a side dinette lower bunk, but bet it would also help on a fixed bunk too, especially with the thin matresses that are common with vans.

We started out by fashining up a soft net across the whole of the front of the bunk, but this quickly became a challenge for little fingers which in the end, could unfasten it faster than I could reattach it...doh! We may try without the bed guard this weekend, as she does not have one at home.

Have fun

David

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts