Toilet Chemicals

Feb 21, 2010
Visit site
If any of you have have read our introduction we are new to the fantastic world of caravaning. When we bought the swift we were given a starter pack. This included some toilet chemical. How bad does this stuff smell and how expensive is it, I've just had to renew our supply.

Don't want to worry anyone but my partner and I are both health professional and I certainly don't want to handle and breathe in formaldahyde fumes.

Can anyone recommend what I can use that actually works. I was advised in a shop to buy Elsan Organic although the manager did say she has not used it, I was not that happy with it.

I know it's silly but my pet hate as a woman is toilets

any suggestions?

Rache

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The stuff that works best is formaldehyde based.

Other products without it work to some extent.

However, I fail to see the problem with using Elsan or any other chemical.

The clue is in the name,Chemical, and as such is not something to spend time smelling to see how nice it is. It is there to do a specific job.

The cassette is basically a sealed container, so it is very quick to open the blade, pour some chemical in, and shut the blade, you could even hold your breath whilst doing it/

As for handling, ALL chemicals should not come into skin contact, so wear gloves,easy.

If you hate toilets so much, maybe a caravan is not the ideal place to be, as it is in very close proximity all the time.

They are also something which will need emptying, probably every three days at most, depending on use.

Over my working life I have handled Elsan and other similar chemicals a lot and have never suffered any problems as a result.

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
If you hate toilets so much, maybe a caravan is not the ideal place to be, as it is in very close proximity all the time.

wee bit heavy handed there, she was only asking some advice, also said they are new to the fantastic world of caravanning.

think you could have put it across in a more subtle way.

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
Hi Racheal I understand some of these toilet chemicals do have a bit of nasty pong but after visiting the Caravan Show and yes Parksy somebody found there way into my wallet there was a

stand selling a new prodct called ONE CHEM it is 100%formaldahyde free.

I am off to a site Easter timee that will not accept blue chemicals sadly one chem is blue so I phoned the site wishing to abide by camp site rules explained the one chem and there is no irritant either they.

said that is fine .

How good it is I dont know yet bit it wil do 40 shots top and bottom tank and smells very pleasant and

Nov 5, 2006
Visit site
Thetford toilet chemicals can be bought in sachet form if this would be better for you! although I tend to use the Elson fluid which seems to work better

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Hi Racheal,

Believe me, we ran out off chemical whilst away once. It smells far worse without it:eek:)

I agree Mac, Damian you are not very welcoming to new comers!!! If you want new input onto this forum then give advice when people ask, not criticism!!!!!

Gareth

Mar 21, 2007
Visit site
HI Racheal, toiletblue.co.uk----gives a few examples-- OneChem is blue and new, in other words not tried and tested as in the caravan world, It's derived from a recirculating back ground (show grounds building sites etc) the blue coloured dye will stain anything that it touches. Fenwicks were the originators of a fluid for both tanks (Top&Tail) and is now the leader in formaldehyde free toilet fluid and easily available nation wide.

Mar 14, 2010
Visit site
We have just returned to Caravanning from Motorhoming after 20 years due to ill health. On the Motorhome forum (http://www.motorhomefacts.com) there is a thread relating to this subject, and it favours the use of Bio- Washing liquid being used in both the Loo and Flush. It can also be used in the waste tank and for washing clothes. I am going to try it. The cost is way below any of the main "toliet" chemicals on the shelves and it is also ecco' friendly.

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
Hi Rachael, we too have been using onechem, we started using it last year, and have had about 4 trips in the van whilst using it. It seems to work just fine, and is very economical.

We used to use the single dose satchets that you can buy, but the fumes from the tub would take my breath away. It seems to be a matter of personal preference really. Enjoy your new van,

Cheers, Roy.

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
I use thetford saches of blue toilet.no smell,just throw one in the chemy loo when washed out,does the job ,no smell,,downside is the price,about

Aug 2, 2009
Visit site
We also use the sachets all the time. Usually we get Thetford, but last time there was an offer on the Elsan ones so we got them instead. They do smell a little different, and OH says he prefers the Thetford ones. They do not contain formaldehyde.

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
Hi Racheal,

Have you got kids because if you dont like toilets now its going to be really trying later,my grandsons nappy split today and he walked in it formaldehyde would be a treat compared to that.The onechem stuff as per Sir roger is good and accepted in Holland where they are very fussy and not too expensive,

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Sir Roger,james roger, and Racheal, I've been using Kem Direct for a couple of years now, but last October switched to One Chem, as I was given a demo bottle. It works as well as Kem Direct, with no smell at all, and the blue does not stain. With most "blues" it takes ages to wash it off your fingers, but One Chem washes off instantly.

OneChem, or Kem Direct, would be my choice.

Oh btw, Kem Direct is in sachets, so no spillage, so that just puts it ahead for me.

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
I asked the rep about Onechem staining and he said it washes straight off but reps will say anything(only joking of course) so its good to have it confirmed.Am away the weekend so will try it

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
Hi again ,looks like this blasted blue stuff is quite a topic.

I have to agree with this Emmerson chappie ,as on trial here in the scullery I spilled a small ammount of this one chem,well ...Lady Fartington went do lally as wiped it away with the dish cloth and too our surprise the blue did wash out, so Emmerson I can see. where you have that slight edge

This Deli Dave fellow gets around e may give us a really good update when he makes his return

Must go now toodle pip from Buggram Hall.

Sir Roger

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Farty old bean, have you no pride?

Why lower yourself to wiping up stuff when there are so many peasants unemployed?

Go get yourself a scullery maid old boy and reduce the number of serfs on the dole.

Feb 21, 2010
Visit site
Hi again ,looks like this blasted blue stuff is quite a topic.

I have to agree with this Emmerson chappie ,as on trial here in the scullery I spilled a small ammount of this one chem,well ...Lady Fartington went do lally as wiped it away with the dish cloth and too our surprise the blue did wash out, so Emmerson I can see. where you have that slight edge

This Deli Dave fellow gets around e may give us a really good update when he makes his return

Must go now toodle pip from Buggram Hall.

Sir Roger
I will look up this OneChem everyone is talking about..Formaldehyde is banned on European campsites and some here. So will be looking for chemical without the F word! and a nice smell x

Racheal

Mar 21, 2007
Visit site
Hi Racheal I understand some of these toilet chemicals do have a bit of nasty pong but after visiting the Caravan Show and yes Parksy somebody found there way into my wallet there was a

stand selling a new prodct called ONE CHEM it is 100%formaldahyde free.

I am off to a site Easter timee that will not accept blue chemicals sadly one chem is blue so I phoned the site wishing to abide by camp site rules explained the one chem and there is no irritant either they.

said that is fine .

How good it is I dont know yet bit it wil do 40 shots top and bottom tank and smells very pleasant and

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
I have brought a large bottle of blue toilet waste and put the amount in the bottom tank, Pat and I decided to empty this tank every morning together, so we put on our disposable gloves and away we trot only to find a notice on the wall, NO blue chemical fluid down this hole, so looking over our shoulders flushed it down the hole.

On reading more of the notice it said get a free sachet of green from the office.

Can anyone tell me why I can not use my blue and if it is so bad why do they sell it.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
"Can anyone tell me why I can not use my blue and if it is so bad why do they sell it. "

Most likely because they are on a septic tank or other biological digester type of sewage system where the chemicals in the toilet fluid could kill the systems necessary bacteria.

They sell it because it works up to a point and in the concentrations arriving at normal sewage farms there is no problem with it killing the system.

On such sites and anywhere else that it's practical we prefer to use nothing and empty it at least every day; not a fan of the chemicals needed ourselves.

Mar 21, 2007
Visit site
This unique toilet fluid can be used in the top tank, and also in the bottom tank. Therefore the bottom tank is not being weakened as the flush water is added. Which makes it easier to use and also more as the toilet is used the economical Top & Tail has been designed to improve the function on non-mains toilets, by lubricating the rubber seals and shutter and coating the bowl with slip agents to keep it clean and fresh. Top & Tail also conforms to our strict environmental policy, so it does not contain the highly toxic and carcinogenic formaldehyde. This also means that it can be disposed of down the normal sewerage system, instead of a dedicated deposit. The toilet fluid has a seven day cycle which breaks waste down efficiently, killing germs and bacteria. It has a fresh smell and a dye that will not stain

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts