TOILET CHEMICALS

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
Just though that I'd ask the question, I try and use elsan double concentrate for my on board toilet, does anyone use anything different and find it better?

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Abinitio1989 said:
We have moved to non-bio wash tabs, better smelling, easier emptying and safe for all disposal systems. (Oh, cheaper too)

Do you mean washing powder tabs like Persil? Are they OK in a loo cassettes?
Mel

Sep 8, 2016
Visit site
EDITIED TYPO IN ORIGINAL RELPY!

any BIOLOGICAL wash tab / liqui-tab.

Cassette is basically plastic box with some metal bits and rubber seals - just like a washing machine's working parts.

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
I tend to stay on CLs in the UK or farm sites when in France, many of which use septic tanks. Therefore Elsan blue is a big no-no. I use a variety of organic top and tail green fluids, whatever is on offer when I'm buying. I have to admit I've not found one yet as effective as Elsan blue but such is life. :sick:

Sep 8, 2016
Visit site
By breaking down the "matter" in the cassette (instead of just masking / containing it) - those that are assigned the lucky task tell me that it come out more "liquid" than "lumpy"…

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
I am another and a long time user of Biological laundry liquid, "a full wash capfull" being put into the lower cassette. The active ingredient of these are basically enzymes, put there in the product in its washing role to do exactly what we want, start breaking down organic matter. It must be Bio not “non-bio”
My experience is it does it very well largely “liquefying” the solids; a side effect I have found is they do a very good job of cleaning up the cassette insides of the calciferous deposits from urine.
It does nothing to hid the colour of the liquor.

Does it damage the cassette?; I have been using this product now for about 6 years and so far there is no damage.

I use own brands including Tesco, Sainsburys, Waitrose and Lidl. I have no reason to believe any one is better than another, I just buy as the opportunity arises.

Because of my age and its ramifications on handling weighty cassettes I have for the last few years emptied every morning but I can’t recall leaving it longer presented any challenges to the bio product, though now changing frequently the trivial cost of it is an attraction. 28 charges for circa £1.75.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
After many years ranging from 1967 and basic Elsan I have now settled on Fenwicks Top and Tail.
It's green, less agressive aroma, retains detergent quality, avoids need to carry two different fluids and if bought in reasonable bulk (6 x 2.5 litres at a time) economic

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
Dustydog said:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Elsan-Double-Toilet-Fluid-Litres-free/dp/B003VJKPKM
For years this stuff has never failed us. Pink has kept the black mould away from the flush tank . Blue has quickly reduced solids to pure liquid. The double packs are great value.
On certain sites we use a green stuff that works well but is not cheap. And no it's not Thetford.IMO Thetford fluids are rubbish.

We're certainly going to give it a try instead of Thetford, when we run out.

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
Martin24 said:
Dustydog said:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Elsan-Double-Toilet-Fluid-Litres-free/dp/B003VJKPKM
For years this stuff has never failed us. Pink has kept the black mould away from the flush tank . Blue has quickly reduced solids to pure liquid. The double packs are great value.
On certain sites we use a green stuff that works well but is not cheap. And no it's not Thetford.IMO Thetford fluids are rubbish.

We're certainly going to give it a try instead of Thetford, when we run out.

That is what I have been using up until now and will probably continue to use unless I have to use green alternatives. I do tend to end up with a lot of flush pink left over though, probably over dosing the cassette with blue.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Ive used the whole range of fluids and although the Fenwicks Top and Tail was effective didn't like the fluid's odour, but Im told that its been changed now and is much better. the one I keep going back to is Onechem/ Unochem. Its suitable for both tanks and is very concentrated so the bottle's inbuilt dosage measure is very useful. Don't know how it compares in real world usage costsbut two 1 litre bottles did us over 6 weeks in France. 20ml in the 20 litre waste tank and 5 ml per 8 litres in flush tank.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I have had a habit of buying whatever the site sold when the bottle I was using ran out. I found no difference in the performance of them but the ones that measured a dose for you were easier to use. Since finding a cheaper bottle in Aldi in its camping equipment sales I have used that and again never noticed any difference.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Funny how any post referring to Toilets, Toilet rolls or Fluids always get a good response.

Dustydog I fully agree with your comments re Elsan double Blue and Pink. The Pink does not give black bits and the Blue works better than any other product on the market. Been using both these for Years. Also Forget the specific Loo rolls sold for chemical Loos and use Andrex it also works better, Honest

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Good point about the toilet rolls.
We use the same tesco soft ones we use at home. No problems and no "poke throughs" :)

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
Raywood said:
I agree about the toilet rolls, we use soft ones from Asda or Andrex and never had a problem.

Interesting, I was chatting to my Mum about such things over the weekend (as you do) and they always used normal toilet roll when they had a folding camper and had no problems. I was going to ask about this today because I have until now bee using chemical toilet toilet rolls and as we all know they are quite a bit more expensive than the standard stuff that you use at home.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
saint-spoon said:
Raywood said:
I agree about the toilet rolls, we use soft ones from Asda or Andrex and never had a problem.

Interesting, I was chatting to my Mum about such things over the weekend (as you do) and they always used normal toilet roll when they had a folding camper and had no problems. I was going to ask about this today because I have until now bee using chemical toilet toilet rolls and as we all know they are quite a bit more expensive than the standard stuff that you use at home.

We have always used "bog standard" supermarket rolls. Never had any problems with the Thetford blocking or being difficult to clean.

Jul 20, 2016
Visit site
Same here, we use normal loo roll with no issues.

I use whatever pink/blue solutions are on offer, but find they are all quite smelly, especially the pink tank solution. I am going to try biological washing powder tablets i think. I have been using just water lately in the flush, but have noticed I am getting black floaters when I flush. I will milton the water supply in the spring, and do the toilet tank too.

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
Abinitio1989 said:
EDITIED TYPO IN ORIGINAL RELPY!

any BIOLOGICAL wash tab / liqui-tab.

Cassette is basically plastic box with some metal bits and rubber seals - just like a washing machine's working parts.

Can someone tell me how many tabs do you add to a cassette?

And does anyone add these tabs to the flushing tank.
Thanks.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Which tabs do you have in mind?
Look back on this thread and I think you will see liquid is the way to go.Both the waste and water tank.
As I said before the Elsan stuff has never failed me.

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Didn't take long to diverge from the subject "chemical toilets".We used the blue stuff when we started caravanning,now we don't use it at all.We use scented flush water - that's all.
I thought the blue stuff preserved things rather than breaking them up to a liquid consistency.
Should have mentioned we don't do number twos in our chemical toilet,only number ones, or is it the other way around?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts