Toilet emptying door inside awning

May 18, 2006
Visit site
I am looking at some new vans and one of the things that concerns me is that some of them have the door to empty the toilet on the same side as the awnind. Does anyone find this to be an inconvenience (sorry about the pun!) or is it no different from the door being on the offside of the van. Does it cause any problems that anyone has encountered?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
graeme, the only problem we had on our old van was you had to undo some of the awning pegs to open the locker door ( full awning)but you also had to do the same at the front for the battery locker ,also as the unit is sealed there are no nasty,s so to speak .jim

G

My van has the toilet access door on the same side as the entrance door and obviously, the awning. Cannot see any real problem, after all everything is all sealed inside nice plastic containers, or at leats it should be. Far better to have that inside the awning than the fridge vents. There is a good way to make your fridge work much harder. And as for the idiot manufacturers who put the fridge vents behind the entrance door...words fail me.

Mar 8, 2006
Visit site
My thoughts are that when filling the toilet flushes and fluids that you get the initial aroma that may stay in the awning. Also the potential that you could spill the fluids with results of staining the ground sheet and again the smell.

I have never used a van with the toilet access door on the nearside but my thoughts put me off buying a van like this.

Mar 15, 2006
Visit site
One thing that we were concerned about was that if you bought a Suncamp awning 260 /390 and you decided to put up an inner sleeping tent in it,(which we have) you would have to move the inner tent each time you needed to empty the toilet or refil the flush.

G

I suspect a lot caomes back to the design of caravans. There will be a desire on the part of the manufacturer to try and balance weights in the van, eg kitchen one side wardrobe the other. In addition if he/she is trying to put in a fixed bed then there may be restrictions on where the toilet compartment eventually goes. At the end of the day you decide the internal layout you want, and if necessary live with compromise outside. Many caravanners nowadays also prefer porch size awnings and here the issue does not arise. Also the Europeans are now putting the fixed bed and the toilet compartment towards the front of the van so maybe that will change things yet again.

I am sorry but life is too short to worry about these sorts of things. if you are really concerned, don't use the toilet, or buy another van. After all just think of using a European 'Turkish' toilet and be thankful.

Jun 9, 2005
Visit site
My Bessacarr has the arrangment Graeme describes, and most of the time its awning location is not an issue. However, just as a hot awning affects the fridge, warming up the contents of the toilet is not desirable either! If your chosen van has an offside toilet so much the better

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Reading this brought memories flooding (unfortunate word) back of early non cassette porta potties. Removing a full one from the toilet department and getting it out of the van and then out of the awning was quite memorable, especially if it was left to last thing at night when a few drinks had been had.

Still I expect we were all a lot harder in those days than current caravanners.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts