Toilet fluid - how much to use?

Mar 29, 2007
Visit site
Please could someone give me some guidance on this? After I empty the toilet, I put in 75 mls of Aqua Kem Green because that's what the label says you need for a 10 litre cassette.

However, my husband only puts in 25 mls after he empties the toilet, on the grounds that, because we empty it each day, it never gets to hold 10 litres.

How much do other people put in?

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The simplest answer is follow the directions on the container.

However, measuring exactly is not required,it will not make that much difference in the end.

The fluid is there to break down solid matter and eliminate unpleasant smells, so as long as it is doing that, it is working.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Susan, emptying every day is not a good idea, as it doesn't give the chemicals a chance to work, so really you're wasting your time putting any in!

Mar 29, 2007
Visit site
So maybe we shouldn't bother using any fluid at all? Does anyone else do this? What does it...ahem....smell like? One of the reasons that we empty each day is because of the unpleasant odours!

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Susan

Next time you need to buy more fluid , try Elsan's blue and pink. It may not be "Green" but it does the job, no odours and no black bits in the cistern.

Emptying every day is a real waste of money. Have you checked that the toilet flap valve is sealing correctly? That may allow some smells out.

Cheers

Dustydog

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
To prevent any unpleasant odours from the cassette toilet after it has been used, flushed and the blade is fully closed press the flush button to allow some more flush water to cover the top of the blade and seal off the holding tank completely. If you use flush tank chemical then this is all that you will be able to smell.

You just have to remember to release this flush water into the holding tank before emptying.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
If you empty every day, which i find pointless to be honest, i would recommend you have a couple of inches of the diluted pink in the pan.

so any soil will hopefully be fully covered, and so reduce smells.

Your husband has got the right idea, but really putting ANY blue in, is a waste of money, if you empty daily.

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
If you empty every day, which i find pointless to be honest, i would recommend you have a couple of inches of the diluted pink in the pan.

so any soil will hopefully be fully covered, and so reduce smells.

Your husband has got the right idea, but really putting ANY blue in, is a waste of money, if you empty daily.
We don't empty until the full indicator shows, even if this means the caravan could be standing a couple of weeks between trips. We don't find any unpleasant odours or problems.

Mar 29, 2007
Visit site
Thanks to everyone who replied - it's certainly given us something to think about.

What we've decided to do is not to use any chemicals in the toilet on our next trip, to see how it (and we) cope. We've got into the habit of emptying it every day because we tend to stay on CL sites and it seems to get quite full - and we both have bad backs, so we try not to lift anything too heavy.

I assume there's no legal requirement to use toilet chemicals - after all, we don't at home!

Mar 21, 2008
Visit site
If you continue to use chemicals then I would use the quantity recommended by manufacturer in the recommended amount of water - as to use less would result in a more diluted solution that wouldn't break down the "contents" so effectively!

Or use site facilities!!

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Not using anything in a cassette tank is not a good idea.

The fluids are not just to eliminate smells and break down solids, but perform a much more important role as in killing bacteria and germs, which WILL increase in quantiity and danger to health very quickly in a cassette tank.

You cannot even start to compare the home environment with the caravan environment when thinking about waste product disopsal and correct storage and handling.

Make sure you DO use a chemical, maybe not for your benefit, but certainly for those following you to the disposal point

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts