toll advise

Dec 11, 2007
Visit site
Hi,
I have driven through France and Spain a few times but this time I am taking a caravan down to Spain.
With only a car the toll are quite simple but what do I do with a caravan in the toll channel?
Do I use the truck lane?
Regards, Brian.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Hi Brian ,
we have been through France and so have many others that will probably reply to you , the best thing to do is buy a sanef toll tag on line before you go and then on approach to the tolls you can usually tell on approach which one to use as three or four will have a barrier so no high sided vehicles can go through and normally about three or four which will allow HGVs and ourselves with caravans and high sided vehicles to go through. If in doubt YouTube it , I'm sure there will be a video of something like that on it . Hope that helps
Craig.

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
Hi Brian, we used a Liber-t tag, it’s the same as a Sanef, we found the best lanes to use are the far right lanes as the tag reader is half way down the lane so the barrier has lifted before you get to it, if you don’t have a tag then you can use any lane that you can fit in and pay as you would just using the car

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Most tolls in France accept UK credit debit cards too. Some on less frequented routes are unmanned so SANEF, cash or card are the only options.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
And Brian , depending where your traveling from to get to the shuttle , don't forget the Dartford crossing charges if it should be on you route .

Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
Toll charges overall in Spain increased by 2% on 1st January. How much you'll pay in Spain will depend on your route and destination. If you enter Spain near San Sebastian you could go all the way on motorway to Malaga for around €15. However if you enter at Perthus and travel down towards Alicante on the AP7, it will be much more. You won't get charged for the caravan though.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
Craigyoung said:
And Brian , depending where your traveling from to get to the shuttle , don't forget the Dartford crossing charges if it should be on you route .

What that means is that you can no longer pay as you cross- it is now all ANPR. You have until the next 22:00 to pay at any PayPoint.

The better solution is to open an account on line - takes minutes - and load it with a tenner by credit card. Then you just sail through going out and coming home. The charge is slightly lower as well if you have an account.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Woodentop said:
Craigyoung said:

What that means is that you can no longer pay as you cross- it is now all ANPR. You have until the next 22:00 to pay at any PayPoint.

The better solution is to open an account on line - takes minutes - and load it with a tenner by credit card. Then you just sail through going out and coming home. The charge is slightly lower as well if you have an account.

Thank you woodentop,
I was actually at work just having a quick look when I replied to this one hense the shortened version !! :p

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
For France Sanef/ Liberte Tag (same thing) very good and cost very little more than standard toll. You can use truck lanes, extreme right hand side, and only get charged Class 2 with caravan or class 1 without. No cards or cash required.
Sanef now have tag for Spain but recommend you do not have both it and French tag fitted together. Many Spanish gates now unmanned so make sure to use one with cash or card symbol. Backing out of the wrong gate cane be tricky. Cards are easier than cash. You do not enter PIN just poke card in and remove shortly afterwards, a bit like key card in ferry cabin door..
If you do not have tag, use card in French gates as described above.

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
Even better is to open an account here as you get 21 days to pay:
https://www.dartsave.co.uk/

Also to watch the front lower corners of the van when passing through the barriers as they are quite narrow

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
With regard to not having both French and Spanish/Portugal toll tags mounted together, I had never read any mention of this.

I have just travelled through France, Spain and Portugal with them mounted together and they each worked perfectly.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
If you don't have a 'Tag' before you set off there are booths at some autoroute services where you can buy them. Look for the LiberT booths, or similar.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts