Tom Tom 300 Navigation system

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Everyone.

I was wondering if anyone out there could recommend Tom Tom300 if so would you kindly give me your impressions of the system please.Jim

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Jim,

We use both TomTom GO (all-in-one) and TomTom Navigator (same product based on a PDA) in our company, I have an iPAQ 3970 PDA which has had TomTom 2, 3 and now 5 installed. Living near Oxford and working in Rotterdam, I've always had the full maps of Europe installed.

I was getting ready to buy the TomTom GO 700, but decided to try the TomTom Navigator version 5 upgrade for Euro 59.

The good news is that TomTom Navigator 5 software has worked without fault for months, no lock-ups, no need to reboot, the user interface and maps are identical to those used in the GO. Basically it is rock solid on my iPAQ and I'm very pleased.

Our GO 700 (full Europe maps) users see exactly the same user interface, the same maps, but the GO is faster at searching, and probably has even better software stability - which I'll explain now:

TomTom Navigator is based on a Windows driven PDA - like my iPAQ - and in addition to TomTom, can also run an agenda, an address book, e-mail client and any other application you care to buy. If you want to, Windows will let all this stuff run at the same time as TomTom - sometimes it is nice to just go to the address book and have TomTom navigate you directly to that address - sometimes the other stuff gets in the way and slows the PDA down.

TomTom GO is a dedicated system, based on similar computer hardware to the iPAQ, but with a version of the Linux operating system dedicated to running TomTom. Consequently it's only running one application, in responsiveness and searching it's faster, and there is no chance for undesired interactions between programs - it can only run TomTom

Suggestion: If I was buying now and wanted door-to-door mapping for all of Europe, I would buy a TomTom GO 700

If I wanted door-to-door mapping of the UK, then the GO 300 (UK maps only) is a good choice and I'd buy additional country maps when I needed them.

The GO 500 (UK + major roads of Europe) could be OK, but the maps of Europe only take you from city to city - they don't have the fine detail to take you to, for example the Delftse Hout camp site just outside Delft in Holland.

Do I use the PDA functions on my iPAQ? - No, it now only runs TomTom - so I'd save the money and buy the GO

Warning: Dependng where you live, you may not want to advertise that you have a GPS navigation system in the car - the screen mount is a give away - just flip the clip and remove it if you park anywhere doubtful.

Towing with GPS: When you set up a destination, select the route that prefers Motorways. None of the navigation systems currently understand the special requirements of caravaning, or large trucks.

Robert

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
hi jim we have a tom tom go 300 we have used it touring europe 4500 miles and in this country very pleased with good directions and if you do go wrong it will get you back on track we only have main roads in europe but found that adiquate better than the the wife telling me we should have turned at the rounabout 20 miles back happy vaning peter

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Rob And Pete,

Thank you very much for your advice,I will on your advice get a tom tom 300 we only need it for this country.Its nice to know there are people like your goodselves who give good advice thank again and happy caravanning to you and your families.Jim.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We used TT300 to travel from Merseyside to Scotland and found it very useful and, apart from one 'one way street' which we realised before following the instruction, it was spot on.

However, my brother used it to travel to Pembrokeshire and tells me that roundabout exits were sometimes incorrect. He has also found this locally. This was certainly not our experience - anyone else comment on this aspect?

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
I've used TomTom for over 3 years, and the only major issues with mapping are when your electronic maps no longer agree with the real world. This can happen because the local authority or highways agency changed the road after the mapping company surveyed the road, or you have not kept your maps up to date, or there is an error in the map.

I've never noticed a problem with a roundabout exit, but sometimes they do count every exit from the roundabout - including things that are no longer roads - and sometimes if the exit from the roundabout has a short (10metre) central divider, then you may get an additional voice instruction - as if you we about to enter a dual carriage way and then leave it again.

Robert

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We used TT300 to travel from Merseyside to Scotland and found it very useful and, apart from one 'one way street' which we realised before following the instruction, it was spot on.

However, my brother used it to travel to Pembrokeshire and tells me that roundabout exits were sometimes incorrect. He has also found this locally. This was certainly not our experience - anyone else comment on this aspect?
I have noticed the same problem with roundabouts; the trick is to slow down a little before the roundabout if it looks like there might be a problem, take a quick glance at the map. This will invariably show you the correct turn off, as reliance on the voice prompts is not a good idea.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts