TOMTOM satnav problems

Nov 5, 2006
Visit site
I have a TT 720 & subscribe to the regular map updates. However each time I get an update I have terrible problems getting it to install.just spent 2 days on the latest update eventually had to format the unit & start all over again.

Do any others have any problems with map updates? Do you have to delete the old maps from your TT before you install the new updated map,or simply connect to TT HOME & select update my TT & install all that is downloaded

Tony

G

With respect to people here I would go to http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/

Join the forum there for the best expert advice, Pocket GPS World is a world leading site for all things Sat Nav related.

Mar 2, 2009
Visit site
Tony.

I have the same problem with my Tom Tom XL, it takes ages to download new maps and then will not load them onto the TT.

What I do is disconnect the TT and start again by going to Tom Tom Home and downloading again then I find it will load everything onto the TT and all is well.

I hope this is of some help. Regards John

Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
Hi Tony. The only problem I have is the download time. Sometimes its over 8 hours.I think the problem is at Tomtom: probably caused by everyone downloading at the same time.Usually I download overnight.

Mine is an older GO700. I download via Tomtom Home and it overwrites the existing map on the GO. I do a full back up first using Windows and save it somewhere (not in "Home").

Nov 5, 2006
Visit site
Laurie thats what I want to know .The download overwrites the existing map.Ie. I do not have to remove the old map before instaling the new one.

I do use Home for the map updates but it usualy tells me there is not enough space on the disc & will not up load it.I have western & central europe,1 Voice only on my TT & I cannot understand why there is not enough space when I am replacing like for like.

By the way I have asked TT this question several times but they never seem to give me a satisfactory answer

Nov 5, 2006
Visit site
With respect to people here I would go to http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/

Join the forum there for the best expert advice, Pocket GPS World is a world leading site for all things Sat Nav related.
Thanks Euro

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
To perform a "clean" download, and to speed it up, i would suggest all the old files be deleted first.

And back ups if required to a separate hard drive.

G

TOM TOM have a helpline,OK on occasion they will tell you to do the same type of thing some users already do, but on other occasions they will talk to you and Email you specific solutions and "how to do" different types of reformatting, for specific problems that are not covered on the help page.

G

Pocket GPS world has a record of being able to give better answers than the manufacturers quite often.

I know little about Tom Tom but the issue sounds as if it could be memory related. ie, units internal memory is getting over loaded when you download

Extra downloads on Garmin can be stored on SD card and work seamlessly with the internal memory and system.

If the TT 720 has SD card expansion slot check out if you can store to SD card to keep the internal memory clutter free.

G

Yep 720 comes with an expansion slot, but use a good quality card,and download the voices and extra's you want onto that.Of course finding out why it plays up should be done first as the internal memory should be big enough for you western map, several voices and updates too.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts