Top Gear

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Did anyone watch Top Gear last night and grasp the idea about speed cameras on the M25?

Probably not if you're no fan of Clarkson, shame as your missing some interesting facts.

Anyway, back to the M25. The speed cameras along this car park are activated if the motorway signs want you to slow down. They may display information about an accident, congestion or limited visibility. This will be accompanied by a lower speed limit, hence the activation of the cameras. JC has been informed that these warning signs are being turned on and used to warn motorists of possible problems even when there are none. So, on a bright and clear motorway (not often I know) these signs are turned on, the speed limit dropped and cameras activated. Is that not a cynical way to collect a motoring tax? Let's not forget points on your licence too. So travellers on the M25 beware, just because the motorway looks clear, stick to the posted limits, it's cheaper.

Nov 2, 2005
Visit site
It is the same rule on the M42. Cameras operate when they flash the change of speed on the gantries.

Also when you have restrictions on roadworks with the flashers or other types, although they clear the cones at weekends the cameras stay activated.

Jul 12, 2005
Visit site
Smiley

The camera's on the M42 (specs ones) are active all the time even when there is no restriction, they photograph every vehicle and the system works out the average speed between any 2 of them. Only the calculation is changed when the overhead signs show a restricted speed.

This system will be rolled out across the UK if it proves effective on the 42. I have no idea if effective means reduction of speeders or raising of money

Steve

Mar 15, 2006
Visit site
don't they have these cameras on the M4 just past Swindon and nearley into Hetahrow, where they take photos of your car and average your speed?

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
As far as I know M25 has been this way for a long time. Only some cameras are live and if detectors are correct they do move them around, so any one who thinks they will only get nabbed in the outer lanes, you will get done!

I'm amazed by the numbers who race along between jnc 16 and 10 as for years we have had live cameras there and plenty have won points to prove they work!

Have only seen gatso and mobile laser on the M4, again detectors and speed camera database reflect this.

Alyson the gatso take two photo's and work out distance covered between to shots and give the speed. Mobile laser guns pick up the cars speed and the operator can photograph the driver. A young guy I know was sent a twin photo from bournemouth from a mobile laser setup. Top photo shows his car ringed in red and the speed, lower photo shows a picture so clear you can see his shocked look as he spots the speed trap his number plate highlighted and the speed high lighted.

Specs are just a video camera usually in pairs above the road and another pair a mile or two along the road. Signs say "AVERAGE" speed check take number and work out speed between two cameras.

Wifes middle aged divorced colleague who only recently passed test, slowed with the flow of traffic on the M1 roadworks last Autumn and then went with the flow until they all braked again for the next overhead camera.

They had ignored the "AVERAGE" wording and she got three points a large fine and had to change insurance company and pay more when her renewal came in all for being a nervous cautious lone lady on the road and to scared to slow with large vans sat behind her bumper and others alongside her in the narrow lanes.

May 22, 2006
Visit site
have you noticed with the cams on the m42 that when they restrict speed for no reason that it plays hell with the traffic and creates jams instead of freeing them???? and also i find it funny all those people that go sailing past you oblivious to the speed restrictions....bet the police have made a pretty penny or two....oh sorry they arent in it for the money just to reduce accidents lol

Apr 2, 2006
Visit site
have you noticed with the cams on the m42 that when they restrict speed for no reason that it plays hell with the traffic and creates jams instead of freeing them???? and also i find it funny all those people that go sailing past you oblivious to the speed restrictions....bet the police have made a pretty penny or two....oh sorry they arent in it for the money just to reduce accidents lol
"Is that not a cynical way to collect a motoring tax?"

I thought that this was a penalty for breaking the law and not a tax?

May 12, 2006
Visit site
The best one I have seen so far was a DVLA Van with twin cameras set up on a dual carriageway. As you pass the cameras it checks your number plate and then just runs through the DVLA data base to check. Tax, MOT, and Car Insurance. If any of the three is missing you receive the fine/summons through the post.

Big Brother working for the People who are Legal

May 12, 2006
Visit site
The best one I have seen so far was a DVLA Van with twin cameras set up on a dual carriageway. As you pass the cameras it checks your number plate and then just runs through the DVLA data base to check. Tax, MOT, and Car Insurance. If any of the three is missing you receive the fine/summons through the post.

Big Brother working for the People who are Legal
If you are speeding nowadays expect to be caught. After running around with 9 points on your licence, it's amazing how you can watch your speed. Plus the fact the insurance gets bumped up the more points you have etc.

We should be lobbying our MPs to raise the limit to say 80mph on the motorway the same as Europe.

It always seems to me that what we are complaining about is that the cameras raise revenue, if you didn't speed they would raise zero. And then they would just be a normal safety device for our roads.

Frank

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Before the M25 variable speed limit was started they said that the speeds would be reduced to 40 or 50 during rush hour and busy periods.

As most of us who use the road regularly dreampt of reaching 30mph at these busy time why the H1ll did they wast a fortune on this mickey mouse control?

The widening of the motorway around the southern Heathrow area has improved the trafic flow greatly. It just goes to show that the barmy green nimbies are wrong yet again. Build the roads to carry ther traffic and sort out the junctions problems athat the polanners cause and the traffic will flow.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts