Tough pitch ups!

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
One of our first trips out in a caravan was to a CL in Monmouthshire. As we drove in I wondered what all the blocks and bits of wood lying around were for. We did get pitched by just circling up to the top of the slope and stopping the outfit when it pointed straight down the hill. In it’s final nose up position the van resembled a Phantom hitched to its catapult strop ready for launch from Ark Royal.

A little later another outfit drove in and straight out again.

10FC1852-B128-4F14-A12A-9A01B022C30D.jpeg

Reactions: Thingy
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
One of our first trips out in a caravan was to a CL in Monmouthshire. As we drove in I wondered what all the blocks and bits of wood lying around were for. We did get pitched by just circling up to the top of the slope and stopping the outfit when it pointed straight down the hill. In it’s final nose up position the van resembled a Phantom hitched to its catapult strop ready for launch from Ark Royal.

A little later another outfit drove in and straight out again.

View attachment 2147
nice

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I was involved with her last refit in Devonport early 1970s. The Buccaneers did not even have their nose wheels in contact with the deck when ready to launch. Try that with a caravan ????
At the time the Ark Royal was doing the blockade of the Mozambique coast to stop oil reaching the rebel colony of Rhodesia and called in at Cape Town. We were allowed on board and as a 16 year old at the time found it fascinating. We had some of the sailors around for diner and others had them stay over in their homes. Not their fault that they had to do the blockade. :D

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
At the time the Ark Royal was doing the blockade of the Mozambique coast to stop oil reaching the rebel colony of Rhodesia and called in at Cape Town. We were allowed on board and as a 16 year old at the time found it fascinating. We had some of the sailors around for diner and others had them stay over in their homes. Not their fault that they had to do the blockade. :D
Used to enjoy being hosted by local people who unfailingly showed tremendous hospitality. Referred to as a “ grippo”. Some in my department managed three “ grippos” a day, they hardly had time to get changed between hosts.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Rolĺ of fhe ship, thought it was a roll,of lino.
Crabs to the left. Quick march, Should be a good Woosie fest. 😅

May 24, 2014
Visit site
I was last on the Ark Royal in 1968. Awesome carrier.

I never ever saw the Ark in the flesh, but come to think of it, we didnt see much of Invisible or Herpes either.

Mate of mine sent me a video last week of the 35th anniversary parade. The mind remembers fit hard gung-ho warriors. What I saw was a file of tired old men. Its a bit of a shock to see it like that. Men I havent seen in 39 years now do not resemble the memories I have of them. Where have the years gone? For the first time, I see myself as old.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Hutch
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I never ever saw the Ark in the flesh, but come to think of it, we didnt see much of Invisible or Herpes either.

Mate of mine sent me a video last week of the 35th anniversary parade. The mind remembers fit hard gung-ho warriors. What I saw was a file of tired old men. Its a bit of a shock to see it like that. Men I havent seen in 39 years now do not resemble the memories I have of them. Where have the years gone? For the first time, I see myself as old.
The Ark Royal you recall was still in build in 1982.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Dual Language signs.
Remind me to tell you one day over a pint of the village idiot I met on the Belgian/French border. Its a long long story, but a small section of it went like this....

I was awoken one Sunday morning in my cab but a knock on my door. Opening the curtains I was confronted by the sight of two of the scruffiest individuals I have ever seen, both English. They asked me if I could tell them the way to Liege. Bearing in mind the signs for Liege are everywhere on that route, and I didnt like being woken up, my replay about the bleep bleep signs being everywhere, and they should open there bleep bleep eyes, fell on deaf ears.

The story was that they had landed in Dunkirk and all they had to do was follow the E40 route all the way. This was Sunday morning, they had arrived at Dunkirk at 1700hrs Friday. They had been looking for Liege non-stop since. The explanation was that the signs for Liege disappered around Brussels and all they could see was a sign for Luik. So they went back to Dunkirk and tried again, and again, and again.

Their final question was how far is it and which is the best way to get to Istanbul. They thought they would probably go down through Yugoslavia (which no longer existed), exit that through Bulgaria and access Turkey that way.

This was during the height of the Balkan Crisis. They had no idea there was a war on.

Reactions: Dustydog

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts