Touring Caravan Sites North West Scotland

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
I was wondering if anyone could recommend a site in this area of Scotland? Idealy between Unapool and the Kyle of Tongue. All we require is hook up,to be able to use an awning and the site accepts children. This will be our 6th year to Scotland but we have never stayed any higher then the Black Isle! I understand there's a site at Scourie which has mixed reviews! Don't worry I know all about the wee midges!! Any help good or bad will be gratefully received!

Apr 3, 2005
Visit site
Hi Jo, our favourite site on the west coast of scotland, is Resipole, near Ardnamurchan (not sure of the spelling) beautiful site, next to the loch, i am not sure if its in the area you are looking for! but check it out, i am sure they have a web site!

regards, Andrew & Sally.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Have you given Ardmir point a try. We stayed there. It's about 5 miles north of Ullapool. A very nice site right on the side of a sea loch. WWW,ardmir.co.uk is the web address, i think.

Feb 26, 2007
Visit site
Have you given Ardmir point a try. We stayed there. It's about 5 miles north of Ullapool. A very nice site right on the side of a sea loch. WWW,ardmir.co.uk is the web address, i think.
The spelling is Ardmair Point......5 miles north of Ullapool.We were there 2 years ago and the site overlooks the water.We were there in the off season and had plenty of room but the pitches were a bit close together and in high season I don't think I would have liked it.

This year we are going to try

www.clachtollbeachcampsite.co.uk.

The web site looks lovely and the reviews seem to be good.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Jo,

That's quite a large area.

As said earlier there's Ardmair Point just north of Ullapool run by two lovely ladies for an owner you never see.

Scourie caravan park is right on the cliff egde with absolutely fantastic sunsets.

The CC have two excellent sites,

Dunnet Bay near Thurso, adjacent to the beach , wonderful.

Grummore, Alnahara on Loch Naver, no toilet block but again scenic and within fairly easy reach of Kyle of Tongue.

Sutherland has some excellent mountainous countryside to see, you will enjoy it.

Chers

Alan

May 27, 2007
Visit site
Hi

Remember that Skye has a free bridge and its quite unique re scenery etc..really there are 5 or 6 sites. I prefer Staffin Camping site but the Island is well suited for tourers

Jun 4, 2008
Visit site
Why dont you try Durness campsite,loads of pitches,gorgeous view and no midges due to the strong wind coming straight off the Atlantic!!Rarely have to book either except when the Durness games are on.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
We like the small commercial site at Scourie - it has 5A hookups overlooking the bay and 10A hookups at the back - take all the notices with a sense of humour, they're only common sense. It'll take awnings, tents and children. Take time to talk to Angus, the owner, he's a character.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Don't be a downer, Duggie - the roads may be single track but there's plenty of passing places and very little traffic.

Your warning about lack of filling stations IS appropriate though.

Feb 26, 2007
Visit site
Duggie,

What do you mean when you say some of the roads are not very good for caravans??

We've just come back from a tour of the highlands.....starting from Glasgow,going up the west coast and along the top and then back down to Inverness.

Hubby said he will take single track roads in Scotland any day of the week in preference to the Devon lanes where you can see nothing!!

Don't put people off coming to Scotland!!

Jun 10, 2008
Visit site
Don't be a downer, Duggie - the roads may be single track but there's plenty of passing places and very little traffic.

Your warning about lack of filling stations IS appropriate though.
HI! Roger you got the wrong idea of what i meant not puting people off these roads i travel them every day and sometime some drivers are unreal of what these roads are like they travel at 20mph and won,t pull in to let you past as for being quit i dont think so sometimes they are jampacked but then again 10 cars on some roads are a lot up ourway

cheers Duggie

Jun 10, 2008
Visit site
Duggie,

What do you mean when you say some of the roads are not very good for caravans??

We've just come back from a tour of the highlands.....starting from Glasgow,going up the west coast and along the top and then back down to Inverness.

Hubby said he will take single track roads in Scotland any day of the week in preference to the Devon lanes where you can see nothing!!

Don't put people off coming to Scotland!!
HI Maureen i was not trying to put people of coming up to our great country i was however stating a fact that these roads (not all of them ) are not the best for c/vans on the fact that it is the way that they are used. example. 2 cars&vans both pass the passing place and then meet so one has to either go up on the verge (if there is one) or one has to reverse, i have seen this dozens of times. then tempers start to go, so please do not take this the wrong way.the roads are o,k, if used the right way, was all i was trying to put over my comment.

cheers Duggie

Feb 26, 2007
Visit site
We stayed at Scourie in May of this year, and found it an excellent site. It's also very convenient for trips over to Handa Island, the bird sanctuary.

Graham
Next time try :-

www.clachtollbeachcampsite.co.uk

We were there in May and the owners are the nicest,most helpful people you could wish to meet.A wonderful place to chill out.

Nov 9, 2006
Visit site
Excuse me for hijacking this thread - but it is relevant.

If travelling up to the west coast, is it wise to go eastward around Glasgow (via Sterling) or is westward around Loch Lomond OK. I have been advised to go via Sterling, but this is taking me on a big detour - I want to get to Carradale Bay, Campbell Town.

A friend has advised, the west route around Loch Lomond, the A82, is not that great for towing caravans. Also what is the A83 like between Loch Lomond and Inveraray?

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
The A82 along the northern half of Loch Lomond is twisty and some caravanners don't like it but it's fine to me.

However, If you're going to Carradale you'll be turning off the A82 onto the A83, half way up Loch Lomond so won't be affected by the disliked section.

Sep 8, 2004
Visit site
Excuse me for hijacking this thread - but it is relevant.

If travelling up to the west coast, is it wise to go eastward around Glasgow (via Sterling) or is westward around Loch Lomond OK. I have been advised to go via Sterling, but this is taking me on a big detour - I want to get to Carradale Bay, Campbell Town.

A friend has advised, the west route around Loch Lomond, the A82, is not that great for towing caravans. Also what is the A83 like between Loch Lomond and Inveraray?
your pal's right about the a82,you get a few miles north of luss it turns into virtually a single track,at the junction of the a82/a83 continue on the a83 through the argyle forest the road is very good albeit a bit hilly.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts