Touring caravan to live in

Feb 26, 2010
Visit site
I currently live in my Swift Challenger 500 as my job sends me anywhere in England, although some times I can stay in one place for a few months.

But after 18 months of this I am in need of more space and my caravan is in need of a rest.

I wish to upgrade my caravan and am looking for something more suitable to live in.

Can anyone advice me as to which caravans I could be looking at.

Thank you.

Prakash

G

My comment would be that as you plan to live in the van full time then the requirements are different from normal touring. Touring caravans are built to a weight limitation and therefore that means the furnishings, while acceptable, are not really designed for permanent use. That is not to say that you cannot live full time in a touring caravan, it is just that is not the primary design function, and you are always going to be watching things carefully. Therefore you really need to look at vans with a heavier contruction, particularly in furnishing materials and in my opinion the heavier German vans are a good place to start.

However if you really wish to 'get the boat out' then a 5th wheeler from the US will be indestructible, but you need a SUV to tow it, which is not a big issue these days.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Prakash

Depending on your budget you could do a lot worse than getting in touch with Roma Caravans.

I have no connection with this or any other caravan manufacturer.

They will build a high quality bespoke model for your individual needs and specifications.

If your budget won't stretch to that have a look at a twin axle end bathroom fixed bed model.

Bear in mind that your towcar needs to be capable of towing your caravan safely and legally.

G

Parksy,

Had a look at the link. Hmmm, the 'pink maple work tops and the split choc box drop windows' sound interesting, even if I am not exactly sure what that all means.

Looking at some of the models I wonder if they supply vans to the 'circus fraternity' as they look similar to ones seen at carnivals.

However, as you state they do offer anything your fantasy, and wallet wish. They make a top of range Hymer look positively cheap.

May 5, 2005
Visit site
Have seen them and they are very solid and made exactly how you want them.As most people are aware they are popular with travellers which is an excellent recomendation for someone who wishes to live in them full time.They are pricey but anything handbuilt is and has also probably got a high resale value.I'd love one if I could afford a bigger towcar but there you go

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I was speaking with Stuart from Roma the other day at the NEC and he said that Roma have been manufacturing caravans in the UK for the past 25 years and a high percentage (I've forgotten the exact figure) are still in use.

The fancy stuff is available for those who want that sort of thing and can afford it but the caravan interiors are built to customers own specifications.

If I was going to choose a mobile caravan as opposed to a static to live in permanently Roma would be near to the top of my list given sufficient funds.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
We are living in an Abbey 540se Freestyle plus full awning.

It is designed as a 4 berth fixed bed tourer all up weight 1436 Kgs. which tows very well behind our series 1 Laguna 2 Ltr.

As it is a dealer special, the upholstry is up garded to sprung foam. It is a very usable van for the two of us and storage isn't a major problem.

The full size cooker with 1 electric and 3 gas rings plus a household style oven makes meals very easy.

I used to travel the UK building poultry units and found that we could get away with using a porch awning for a couple of weeks at a time. The full awning comes into it's own when we are on a site for months as we are now, due to me having operations for arthritis.

Depending on your tow car, you could go to a twin axle van.

But thinking ahead to resaleability, I would stick with what could be called a standard style touring van. Roma's are ok but they do carry a certain label with them. We've found it better to blend into the back ground of a touring site rather than stick out from the crowd.

Good luck.

Steve L.

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
We are considering purchasing and living in a Tourer as we have jobs to start in Norfolk and unable to sell our house in the North at the moment. I have found the advice on this topic interesting but my problem is where to site the caravan.

I want to try to find a quiet site but not pay a premium in a holiday area, can anyone recommend any websites or anywhere we could site a caravan in Norfolk 'cheaply' bearing in mind that if our house does not sell, we may have to stay several months so would want a site open all year round. Thanks in anticipation.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts