touring for 6 months

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We are new to caravanning and have decided to take 6 months out with our two young toddlers to travel around France and maybe continue on to Spain and Portugal. We are thinking of purchasing a bailey ranger anyone know if they are value for money? also any ideas on a general cost of travelling for this duration (for those of you who have done it?). Anything we need to look out for? anybody got any general advice?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi chris, we've just bought a bailey discovery and did a little research into baileys.In my opinion the value for money is very good , the build quality is good and ive never seen a bad word printed anywhere about the bailey range from discovery to senator.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Regarding your choice of van I purchased a Bailey Ranger 500/5 new approx. 2 years ago. Apart from a few minor points on delivery, the van has been excellent - can't fault it. Regarding your question about finance for touring I'm afraid I cannot help you, however I feel envious of you. Good luck and have a great break.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Going for this long with a young family, I guess you will be well loaded up weight wise....

Last year in France we encountered a Police weight check in the area immediately after leaving an autoroute toll.

This showed us to be a significant 200 kilos over the MTPLM shown on the plate. Having weighed everything and added the values to the MIRO I was shocked.

On return to UK I had the van checked on the local weighbridge which as near as confirmed the police figure. Got the van emptied and rechecked to find wight nowhere near MIRO.

Subsequent correspondence with Bessacarr (Swift) resulted in an admission that van was wrongly plated, and new plate issued with +200Kg!

So moral is: get van weighed in holiday trim to be sure all is what you expect.

PS French police were very helpful-their checks were advisory-no fine. But they had trouble with old style UK driving licence, so I would make sure you have latest version. Finally, they also wanted to see proof of ownership of the van (I think France has a car-like registration document) I got by with my CRIS certificate, but you certainly need something.

Have a good time

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
we had 2 bailey rangers440/4 &510/4 both vans gave no problems at all (1st van was brought from man i field,this was an eldiss big mistake)we were going to buy a fixed bed bailey as we also enjoy france (but after a few glass es of wine making the bed up was getting to us)but we found the new rangers not a patach on the 510/4 we had,so we sold it (not to the dealer)making

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Just take care of the cooker arrangement. I have seen some where the cooker can be easily reached from the sofas. A real risk if your toddlers are anything like mine!

TRENDING THREADS