Touring in Normandy

Jan 2, 2007
Visit site
Please can anyone give me information on taking a Touring Caravan to Normandy, and also any site recommendations. We are looking at sites for both families and adults, not too large though, we are thinking of going in ealy July, this will be our 1st time abroad with our touring van so any tips or information on sailings etc would be greatly appreciated. Thanks - Denise

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
The ferry from Dover/Calais or Dover/Dunkerque is the cheapest option, rather than Le Havre. It depends on how long a journey you have in England as to what sailing you prefer. You can always get a site for overnight, near to Calais - Chateau de Gandspette at Eperleques might suit you - and then set off, fresh, next morning. The Camping Cheque network of sites might suit, especially if you are going early July - as a pitch for two adults/caravan/car/awning/electricity will cost only

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Denise, Living in Poole I regularly use the Brittany Ferry Poole to Cherbourg route and in fact spent 3 days between Christmas and New year in Normandy. It uses a very modern ferry The Barfleur on the crossing, which takes about 4.5 hours with two crossings per day in summer. The downside is the cost which is expensive compared to Dover - Calais crossings but in my case involves no UK travel. The area around Cherbourg is Le Manche and is suprisingly uncrowded even in the height of the summer. There are some fantastic beaches especially on the west coast around Carteret with several good camp sites. The east cost is also good and Barfleur and St Vast de Houge are nice places to visit with the D Day invasion beaches being just a bit further south. Ste Mere - Eglise is the first town liberated on D Day and during the summer a dummy dressed as an American paratrooper is suspended from the church roof replicating a true event during the 1st hours of the invasion.

If you havn't been abroad before with the van you may be interested in attending a Holiday rally run by the Camping & Caravanning Club at Le E'tang de Haizes which is at la Hayes-du-Puits, which is run from 17 July to 22 August 2007 ( which may be a bit late for you). It is of course open outside those dates without the rally. You could book the site, ferry, insurance etc. all with the C&CC Carefree Travel service.

I have always found the local tourists boards very helpful and i am sure that if you input 'Normandy tourism'into google you will get some good information.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts