Touring off the grid

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Hi we are caravan virgins, are selling our house and taking to the road until we find our new home. Any advice on 'off the grid' touring particular water and sanitation facilities. Going to be doing longterm UK touring off the grid (no or very few camp sites) we have seen a Bailey Pageant Provence that we like tho concerned about size of casssette toilet prob just a couple of day's capacity. Any experience of earth closets etc. Is it possible to get a bigger cassette toilet, is there a better caravan suited to our needs. Have heard the Hobby is good. Heard that in France and other continental countries that there are municipal disposal points for emptying - does this exist in the UK particular Scotland. Any and all advice much appreciated. Carol

Oct 30, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

Re the toilet capacity concerns - you can purchase additional cassette tanks which you could store in the boot of the car (full and empty). Depending on how many are using the toilet on average ours lasts us 3 days with 2 adults, 1 child. As for empting, I don't see why you can't put it down a public toilet. Just be prepared to wipe up any spills, however these cassettes do normally empty cleanly. Next problem may be rinsing it, but I guess you can use a jug or watering can to re fill to rinse.

Not so sure about staying "off the grid". There are the obvious dangers of mugging etc. but I know people who do the odd night without any hassle.

Good luck.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts