Touring with toddler advice please

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
Good morning all,

We're planning on going away in our 2 berth compass Pentara shortly with our boy who is 14months old.

Now we've tried to fit the travel cot in the 'van but it would mean no access to either leave in a hurry in an emergency nor would it allow us to get to the toilet.

I really can't seem to find a narrower travel cot nor any other ideas for sleeping other than bringing him into bed with us, which would be fine other than he sleeps in what can only be described as an animated manner :(

All hints, tips and advice greatfully recived

Matt

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
When we had our first trip with our first born we left the front beds as singles and set up a mattress for number one son on the floor between them. This worked for a couple of years before had a bigger caravan.

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
Roll mat on the floor between the singles is about your only option. Luckily we had a four berth so just but a cot side up from 3 months old.

Oh hang on...... pop him in the shower on a cushion? :woohoo:

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Two backrests on floor between bunks, poss a mattress topper on top of that for comfort. My parents did that with our girls, sans topper. About to take grandson for first time but he will use single bunk.

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
As much as leaving the bed as singles is a great idea, I'm 6ft 3ins so makes for a cramped sleep.

Think we'll end up trying him in the double with us (wasn't that great in a superking bed in Mexico for 2 weeks last month, hotel didn't have any travel cots :( not much sleep for me!)

Many thanks
Matt

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Are you taking an awning? If you take an inner tent and air mattress and spare bedding perhaps you can have a fall back plan of you decamping to the awning if sleep is impossible. Or if you are really kind, your OH decamping. :woohoo:
Mel

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
As above, we won't be blocking any exits, hence the original reason for asking.

As to decamping to the awning, I have suggested this but I think the wife wants me to suffer the same as her with the boy being in the bed.

Oh well we're away this weekend and will see how it goes, personally I'd rather just look for a new van but the accountant of the house says we can't afford to change for atleast a year. :(

Matt

Dec 1, 2014
Visit site
I had to buy a different caravan for this reason when I knew we were having a baby.

I've bought a Motorhome pop up sleeper net which I'm installing between the base and bunk in our side dinette van, breathable and no way to escape for our 8 month old!

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
If the OP is up for a bit of DIY then perhaps the PVC pipe bed might work.

Using inline pipe connectors joints it would easily strip down to fit in a small place.

Perhaps fitted widthwise across the front seat cushion backrests it would make a raised level bunk for the wee one.

http://www.sliptalk.com/rv-camping-hack/

TRENDING THREADS