Tow bar -stabiliser question

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
I am a newbie to towing and caravanning. Have a Witter tow bar fitted and an Elddis Avante 524 2003 with a Winterhoff 3000 stabiliser. Two questions:

1. When reversing, do I need to put the Winterhoff to position 2 (hitched, but stabiliser off?)

2. Are there specific sizes/types of tow ball that the Winterhoff can or cannot operate with? I have heard that some folks have had to change their Witter tow ball to fit the Al-ko stabiliser.

Would appreciate you help.

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi Peter,

I have an Avante 556.

If you've got the van on the back, hitched up and need to reverse, you don't need to do anything to the van hitch / stabiliser.

If I've understood your first question correctly.

Re- question 2, sorry, I don't know.

Cheers,

Alex.

Jul 6, 2007
Visit site
Q1:- As per Alex's answer.

Q2:- I think you are refering to the need to fit an Extended Neck Al-Ko Towball to allow the stabiliser to fit without hitting the car.The ball is the same size,50mm,but it is, as stated,extended in its lenth from the mounting plate to the centre line of the ball.

Hope this helps.

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
Thanks guys.

1. Yes, so hitched up, stabiliser on - do nothing to reverse (which is good, as have been reversing in that manner!)

2. So only need to replace tow ball if moving to a AI-KO stabliser. (that's good as already towed 350 miles with no problems!)

Just wanted to check. Thanks again, and what a useful forum for newbies.

Oct 29, 2006
Visit site
Hi,

I also have a Winterhoff hitch, but having problems hitching on/off.

I am finding it difficult to get the hitch to engage onto my towball and then disengage off the towball once the caravan is parked.

Has anyone got any advice for me?

Thanks in advance!

Alan

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi Alan,

We initially had this problem too. But we were initally being too gentle with our actions and just expecting the hitch to come off without any trouble.

Sometimes, but not always, I have to be quite vigorous with the hitch handle from side to side and pulling it at the same time as raising it with the jockey wheel.

The other main thing that I find affects hitching and unhitching is when there is tension on the hitch, either from reversing or driving forward. If I'm having difficulty, I will move the car back or forward slightly, depending on how the tension in the hitch was created, to release this tension.

Sorry, maybe haven't explained this very well, much easier to show than desrcibe !

Good luck,

Alex.

Oct 29, 2006
Visit site
Alex,

I've had the same problems as you have, but I thought it was something that I was doing wrong!

Looks like it is just part of the routine of hitching and unhitching a Winterhoff!

I wish I still had my Alko stabiliser.

Cheers

Alan

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
As a newbie, only hitched and unhitched a few times, but have experienced this. Just need to jiggle the caravan - seems very dependent on exact position of towball. No big problem though.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts