Sep 2, 2005
Visit site
Well, dare I even say it? I have made a decision based on some of the sometimes hairy, sometimes monotonous but always enjoyable debating between cars and 4x4s as suitable towing vehicles for my caravan. Mainly thanks to the impartial and consistent advice given by Mark and Lutz (and Daventura dare I say?)and after test driving it I have ordered a Focus Cmax 2.0ltr Tdci. On paper it is a perfect choice for both towing and normal use. The website www.whattowcar.com has confirmed this match. My question (got here in the end) is about the towbar needed. Do I need to have single or double electrics, and I have seen somewhere on this sight that the tow ball type can be different as well. Can I fit the tow bar myself or is it best to get a proper fitter? Any idea of the cost if a fitter is used? Thanks in anticipation, Derek.

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
derek

Are have the zetec or giha .

On the one that we got we had a Witter tow bar fitted. My wife had see a bit in one of the caravan mags that we read. That gave two sort of tow bar which shud do the car.

We had a place in Nottingham fit it for us. It was a all day job for them to fit it they had one person on it.

I would not have a go at fit one my self. It loot a had job. Because I got there to early to pick the car up . The person fit it had get so new real for the tow bar.

Has I sed before do not get the ford tow bar has that can only pull 1275 kg.

Which dues seem funny when the car can pull 1500 kg. .

It cost me

Sep 2, 2005
Visit site
Hi Mark, thanks for replying yet again so quickly. I have phoned a place in Shrewsbury this morning that fits Witter tow bars, saves me the hassle plus the fact that I dont know what I am doing!! Hopefully he will fit the right one for both my car and caravan. He has quoted me @

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Dererk, it would seem that the electrics (engine management and trip computer) have been put right now. But Ford have told me that they are having a problem sorting out the radio in terms of the RDS.I can live with that I suppose but what is now annoying me is the various rattling/vibrating that occurs from the dash area. It seems to be temperature related so occurs depending on the weather! I wonder if Mark has come accross any of these problems or is it that my car was one of the first off the line (Nov. 2003) and perhaps mad on a Friday afternoon!

Having said all that, it tows superbly and now that the engine and gearbox have done about 23000 miles the mpg is much improved(31-35 towing, 39-45 general motoring) and is very rewarding to drive (except for that darn rattling that the garage is going to have to sort out!) Good luck Derek and I still say go for it!!!

Sep 2, 2005
Visit site
Hi Daventura thanks for the speedy reply. Firstly, I dont really understand as to why you get so much rudeness from certain members on here but then again you are not the only one. Anyhow, it would seem that the teething problems you had have been sorted, its just unfortunate that it has taken people like yourself to be in the front line when buying a brand new model of car. I will take your advise on board and not cancel my order. As I have already said my test drive impressed me greatly. I cannot wait to get my towbar fitted and take the caravan away for a few days before the bad weather sets in. Cheers dav. Derek.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Derek, thanks for those few words of kindness. I can tell by the way you post and respond that you are,unlike some, a tolerant of all others person. Your attitude is neither pompous nor condescending and because of this I offer you my utmost courteousness when trying to humbly help you. P.S I am glad you went for the more intellegent decision when chosing your tow vehicle. Hope you can get your first 'vanning holiday in soon, despite the looming refinery blockades (with which I personally totally agree with). Cheers derek me old mate, Dav.

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Derek & Daventura

We had the RDS problem with radio. Had it fix. Had no trouble seines.

Frod has rye called all focus & cmax has well. Because they got a fault with back wiper. Had ours book in to have it fix. They sed it nuking to get ward a bout.

Cud be some time before you get your letter to have your fix has they have a big backlog to get frow.

We all so had so treble with the armrest and lumber seaport. They fix.

Have you look at the backlight. I cud not see how you put a new bulb in.

Ask ford how to do it in case one when. They sed if one when they would fix it. I can see it costing a lot to have it sorted.

I hope no of this get you ward.

Mark

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts