tow car hire or similar

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
hello everyone,
could anyone please assist me in the following
yesterday i committed to buying the new bailey unicorn vallencia (a retirement present for my wife and i. i tow with a 2006 2L TDI passatt ( 140 BHP)the MIRO on the vallencia is 1343Kg and the MPTLM is 1497Kg i think this van is somewhat heavy for my car but believe the towing capability is more than plenty. however i am still concerned about the extra weight i currently have a 2000 swift challenger 530 SE with a MPTLM of around the same as the MIRO on the new van. i intend to tow the van empty from the showroom to the site were it will stay all summer, i then intend buying a ssang yong or a KIA sorrento for future towing. i have caravanned for 30+ years but now find i am not as confident as i used to be so am thinking about another option
are there any hire companies i could hire a 4 x 4 or even a company that would tow the van to the site for me,I have seen plenty of car hire companies but none that supply tow cars, i have also seen sites with tow car hire but not in the area i live in, teeside /north yorkshire.whitby area
any help or advice would be greatly appreciated , i have a little over two weeks before i pick my new van up
regards
brian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Brian, ...............................................................My first thought would be to see if the selling deler might be able to deliver it for you. Other than that I know some self-drive van hire companies do have some vehicles with tow hitches, often minibusses used by Scout groups etc for towing the baggage trailer or canoe rack. If you need to arrange to get the caravan towed to site, then do make sure your insurers cover it. ........................................................................Good luck

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Hi Brian
I have towed our van with a Passat 140 tdi, our van has a MTPLM of 1500kg and the car towed it no problem, I believe the legal towing limit is 1800kg.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I would have thought the passat would be perfectly capable of handling the empty caravan although you might need a bit more power for towing the loaded caravan.

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site
Brian, I did post previously prior to the website changeover, offering a free quote to collect & deliver your caravan to your seasonal pitch however, I am not allowed to advertise on the forum. I do on a well known internet auction site, just search for "caravan collection & delivery" based in northumberland. This will allow you to see the services offered as well as checking out feedback from previous customers.
Hope this helps.
Kevin

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi Brian
If you are still looking for some help towing your caravan drop me an email and I'll see if I can help you, all my business cards are with the local dealers!
Iv done a few jobs and know the Yorkshire roads well!
I'm based in Northumberland, shame I can't give too much on here.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
gentlemen
further to this topic if i could just bring you all up to date
i picked the new van up on thursday,the dealer renaged on his promise to deliver the van on the appointed day(stating they were to busy) so i pulled it over the moors with my own car.I listened to the advice given by you guys and new it would tow it o.k
thank you all for your help
brian

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts