Tow Car short list

Mar 3, 2024
Visit site
Hello all - we are looking to get a tow car capable of towing a caravan up to 1600KG or so (we are looking to get a Swift Sprite Major SB or something similar size).

We are beginners and have only used rented motorhomes in the past.

I would be interested to know what members here are using for a tow car and what they would recommend?

So far I have looked at a bunch of online articles and I have listed
- Kia Sorento
- Porsche Cayenne
- Volvo XC60
- Rav4
- BMW X3 or X5
- Mercedes GLC
- Nissan X-Trail
- Skoda Karoq

Also listed a couple of EVs but I am aware of the range / charging convenience issues:
-Kiai EV6 or EV9
- Hyundai Ioniq 6

Any other suggestions or any negative comments about the above?

Also thoughts on PHEV vs straight diesel/petrol/MHEV?

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
You'll need to define your budget and whether you're looking at new or used.

If you're including the Porsche Cayenne then include the Porsche Macan, Audi Q5, Audi Q7 and VW Touareg as they're all built on the same platform and share many of the engines - also include the Hyundai Santa Fe as that's on the same platform as Kia Sorento

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2023
Visit site
Worth considering when or whether you may change the caravan. I'd tend to go for something that will tow a greater weight. Our Skoda Superb was just able to tow our Adria Adora. When we opted to change the car as it was playing up we bought a Ford Ranger. Be certain of your choice of caravan first would be my advice before choosing the tow car.

Reactions: Javert
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Although we have never owned or even driven a Kia, that would be our choice if we downgraded the caravan. I think it offers the best value.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
No problem with towing 2000kg, but the 2018 Kia Sorento kerb weight is 1953kg so is too light for the caravan. Some caravan insurance companies will not be too happy about the ratio. The newer model is heavier.
Add another 25 kg for the tow bar. I have never heard of anyone being asked about the ratio of car to trailer, on the insurance, car or caravan.

Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
As much as you think about a car for towing, also consider what it will be used for for the majority of it's time. If you are retired and 90% of your miles are towing, you may pick a very different car to if you are working and 90% of your miles are solo.

Pick a car that can do what you need, but does best with what you do most of.
I have a Polestar 2 as a company car and tow a 1550kg Bailey unicorn. We tow between 2000 and 3000 miles a year, but I do 15K miles total. Having an EV as the main car that can also tow is my perfect mix, though it may not be for others.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Add another 25 kg for the tow bar. I have never heard of anyone being asked about the ratio of car to trailer, on the insurance, car or caravan.
We came across this restriction hidden in the T&Cs with Towergate and assume that some other insurance companies may have a similar clause.

I am guessing that once loaded with driver, passenger and luggage the Sorento will weigh in excess of 2100kg exceeding the 95% in the T&Cs. Certainly a lot more economical than the Jeep.

The KX4 or GT Line S are what we would probably look at if trading in the Jeep however OH wants a Landcruiser and has been nagging for one since time immoral. LOL! :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Guzzilazz
Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
Kia Sorrento, or Hyundai Santa Fe, towing limit, auto 2000kg manual 2500kg
Proper torque converter auto gearbox.

Skoda karoq, gearbox problems, but a nice car.
Gearbox problems - what variety, which box, what engine?

We have 2L TDi Sportline which is the new (is it EU?) version of the 2L TDi 150bhp and it tows like a dream.

Also, the OP should not overlook any of the Passat range. Stable, easy drive, spacious, economical to run.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Towing mileage is normally quite low compared with private use. The cars named are all good tow cars and should be up to the job. In practice what you need to look at is the everyday use as you need a car that suits you for whatever use you need it for. That I feel should be your priority.
For towing performance torque is probably the key factor so do make sure you have plenty of this. I think if I could afford it, the Porsche would be my top tip, it is just head and shoulders above the rest as drivers car and according to testers is a great tow car. The rest depends on what you like best.
I would avoid electric cars if you are going any distance, the best can only manage about 130 miles on a charge and facilities to recharge with a caravan are near enough non existent.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We have not even done 10000 miles in the past 18 months of which about 2-3000 miles was towing, but we have a smaller car that is used for local shopping etc.

Mar 3, 2024
Visit site
Kia Sorrento, or Hyundai Santa Fe, towing limit, auto 2000kg manual 2500kg
Proper torque converter auto gearbox.

Skoda karoq, gearbox problems, but a nice car.

If available on the model I choose, I was thinking of going for PHEV. The PHEV option on the Santa Fe seems to be limited to 1350Kg towing which is too low. There seems to be a new Sante Fe due out soon but I can't find any info about towing limits.

Skoda Karoq - what grearbox problems? Also, does anyone know where I can find the definitive info on the Towing capacity and noseweight limits on Skoda Karoq models?

I guess there is also Skoda Kodiaq might be worth looking at but again they don't obviously publish the towing limits on the Skoda website.

As a relative beginner there I'm a bit worried about coming across some kind of additional secret limit, but I guess before committing to anything I would use one of the offical matching sites.

As much as you think about a car for towing, also consider what it will be used for for the majority of it's time. If you are retired and 90% of your miles are towing, you may pick a very different car to if you are working and 90% of your miles are solo.

Pick a car that can do what you need, but does best with what you do most of.
I have a Polestar 2 as a company car and tow a 1550kg Bailey unicorn. We tow between 2000 and 3000 miles a year, but I do 15K miles total. Having an EV as the main car that can also tow is my perfect mix, though it may not be for others.

How to you find the Polestar 2 for recharging on route? My wife's current car is already an EV so we are used to charging stops. However, I'm not sure I fancy decoupling the caravan each time I want to charge up. I am wondering if it depends a bit on your mode of use of your caravan i.e. do you move fairly short distance each day and then stay put for a few days, or doing very long journeys that require multiple recharges per day.

As a general comment - thanks for the replies everyone. Oddly enough, we could probably afford any of the cars listed even though it goes from budget to Cayenne level. It's more a case of test driving the cars and thinking - yes this car is really nice but is it really twice as good as the one that costs half the price.

I have added a VW Toureg to the shortlist. I am not sure about Audi - for some reason I just don't fancy an Audi - not sure why.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Gearbox problems - what variety, which box, what engine?

We have 2L TDi Sportline which is the new (is it EU?) version of the 2L TDi 150bhp and it tows like a dream.

Also, the OP should not overlook any of the Passat range. Stable, easy drive, spacious, economical to run.
What is the problem with the gearbox on a Skoda DSG?

Common Problems with DSG Gearboxes include failed solenoids, high-pressure leaks, electric motor or pump failure, and electrical issues. Symptoms range from rough shifting to complete transmission failure. If you notice any signs of issues with your DSG transmission, have it inspected by a professional right away.
1711026611682.jpeg
https://stedmansgarage.co.uk › com...

Common Problems with DSG Gearboxes and How to Spot Them

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
I am on my second Volvo V90 (first was diesel, second petrol mild hybrid). Excellent tow cars (originally towing a twin axle Sprite, now a single axle Sprite Major). Fuel economy has been good for such a big car, but as others have said, it really depends what you need a car to do for the majority of the time and budget. Other notable good tow car was a 2016 BMW 520D.

Jul 19, 2021
Visit site
Brother in law has recently had a BMW X5 hybrid, performance on that thing is phenomenal, said it towed his Buccaneer T/A with no issues . Comfort is amazing with the air ride suspension even with the run flat tyres . , better than his V8 Touran, which was also an amazing tow car and very comfortable

Us paupers will have to stick with our 2014 Santa Fe, but we are more than happy with it

Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
Towing mileage is normally quite low compared with private use. The cars named are all good tow cars and should be up to the job. In practice what you need to look at is the everyday use as you need a car that suits you for whatever use you need it for. That I feel should be your priority.
For towing performance torque is probably the key factor so do make sure you have plenty of this. I think if I could afford it, the Porsche would be my top tip, it is just head and shoulders above the rest as drivers car and according to testers is a great tow car. The rest depends on what you like best.
I would avoid electric cars if you are going any distance, the best can only manage about 130 miles on a charge and facilities to recharge with a caravan are near enough non existent.
EVs can manage more than 130 towing. I can get 140 from mine (75kWh usable). There are others with bigger batteries that could do up to 170-180. Facilities to recharge with a caravan _on the hitch_ are few and far between. Facilities to recharge with a caravan unhitched are widespread.

But each to their own.

Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
If available on the model I choose, I was thinking of going for PHEV. The PHEV option on the Santa Fe seems to be limited to 1350Kg towing which is too low. There seems to be a new Sante Fe due out soon but I can't find any info about towing limits.

Skoda Karoq - what grearbox problems? Also, does anyone know where I can find the definitive info on the Towing capacity and noseweight limits on Skoda Karoq models?

I guess there is also Skoda Kodiaq might be worth looking at but again they don't obviously publish the towing limits on the Skoda website.

As a relative beginner there I'm a bit worried about coming across some kind of additional secret limit, but I guess before committing to anything I would use one of the offical matching sites.

How to you find the Polestar 2 for recharging on route? My wife's current car is already an EV so we are used to charging stops. However, I'm not sure I fancy decoupling the caravan each time I want to charge up. I am wondering if it depends a bit on your mode of use of your caravan i.e. do you move fairly short distance each day and then stay put for a few days, or doing very long journeys that require multiple recharges per day.

As a general comment - thanks for the replies everyone. Oddly enough, we could probably afford any of the cars listed even though it goes from budget to Cayenne level. It's more a case of test driving the cars and thinking - yes this car is really nice but is it really twice as good as the one that costs half the price.

I have added a VW Toureg to the shortlist. I am not sure about Audi - for some reason I just don't fancy an Audi - not sure why.
The Polestar makes an amazing tow car. The total payload is not massive but plenty for 2 and workable for 4. 400hp, 670Nm torque and AWD means its lot troubled by the van at all.

Towing - we do a mix of trips, but all in the UK. Our longest regular trip is from South Northants to the North lakes 260 odd miles. We do it with 2 stops, same as we used to in our previous XC90. Generally I find I want a break after 2 to 2.5 hour towing which is about 100 to 130 miles. Stop, unhitch, put the car on charge then take it in turns to use the local facilities while someone stays with the van. The unhitching takes us an extra 3-4 mins at either end of the stop. Charging 10 to 80 takes us about 30 mins. After a coffee and using the loo, that time goes very quickly.

With two in the car, the hitch un-hitch is no real problem but of course adds a bit of hassle. The number of locations available to rapid charge has shot up in the last 34 months.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I know I'm digressing from the topic, but I just thought that I'd mention what I saw yesterday - a Fiat 500 towing a twin axle trailer, admittedly not a caravan, but nevertheless quite a funny sight. Unfortunately I wasn't quick enough to take a photo of it as it passed by.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
All cars sold in the UK since the EU regulations about type approval were introduced a few decades ago will have the manufacturers specifications which must include towing and nose load limits. Theoretically you can tow a trailer (i.e. a caravan) that does not exceed that limit, but it is not always advisable.

The reason is, the car manufacturer has to perform various prescribed tests which produce the towing figures, but the tests use an ideal trailer, which caravans definitely are not ideal. They are big and have sides with large areas which can act like a sail on a boat, which makes them more reactive to wind, and other air pressure changes generated by other large vehicles that pass by.

I always suggest you should choose a caravan that is as small as is practicable to keep size and weight as manageable as possible. It goes without saying you must ensure the towed weight of the caravan does not exceed the tow cars specification, but you must also ensure the Combined measured weight of the tow vehicle and trailer does not exceed the tow vehicles Gross Train Weight.

The UK caravan industry does make a similar suggestion that novice caravanners should keep the MTPLM of the caravan to no more than 85% of tow vehicles kerb weight.

Towing weights are important, but its actually more important to ensure you load the car and caravan safely, and understand how to drive such a large outfit. The caravanning clubs offer training courses, which not only inform on how to load and tow and reverse, but also other aspects of caravanning such as setting up the caravan on site.

Mar 3, 2024
Visit site
The Polestar makes an amazing tow car. The total payload is not massive but plenty for 2 and workable for 4. 400hp, 670Nm torque and AWD means its lot troubled by the van at all.

Towing - we do a mix of trips, but all in the UK. Our longest regular trip is from South Northants to the North lakes 260 odd miles. We do it with 2 stops, same as we used to in our previous XC90. Generally I find I want a break after 2 to 2.5 hour towing which is about 100 to 130 miles. Stop, unhitch, put the car on charge then take it in turns to use the local facilities while someone stays with the van. The unhitching takes us an extra 3-4 mins at either end of the stop. Charging 10 to 80 takes us about 30 mins. After a coffee and using the loo, that time goes very quickly.

With two in the car, the hitch un-hitch is no real problem but of course adds a bit of hassle. The number of locations available to rapid charge has shot up in the last 34 months.

Thanks that is good info as one of the things I was not sure about is how long it takes to hitch / unhitch. I have also seen videos saying that you have to be careful if stopping at motorway services as some of them you have to leave the caravan quite far from the chargers, or even worst case, you can't get back to the chargers after unhitching! I guess you can figure all this out with planning in advance.

Polestar 2 seems to have 1500KG and nose weight limit 100Kg?

I was also looking at the Polestar 4 but I don't think that's on sale in UK yet.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thanks that is good info as one of the things I was not sure about is how long it takes to hitch / unhitch. I have also seen videos saying that you have to be careful if stopping at motorway services as some of them you have to leave the caravan quite far from the chargers, or even worst case, you can't get back to the chargers after unhitching! I guess you can figure all this out with planning in advance.

I was also looking at the Polestar 4 but I don't think that's on sale in UK yet.
The layout of motorway services is quite easy to ascertain using Google Earth, you can see the caravan/motorhome parking or if full the HGV parking. Even without unhitching for charging we never ever left the caravan unattended in motorway service areas.

Reactions: RogerL and Tobes
Jul 23, 2021
Visit site

Polestar 2 has a 1500kg towing limit and 90kg nose weight (unless that was updated on the 24 model year). The 4 looks like a fantastic car and will be a super capable tow car in dual motor version, and will likely get to that 160 to 180 mile towed range number. The Polestar 3 is also gorgeous - but expensive. XC60 sized, but XC90 priced. Also worth a look is the XC40 (1800kg limit).
The Kia EV6 gets great reports as a tow car - very fast charging. The Tesla model Y also good, but its not a car I would want.

TRENDING THREADS