Tow Car short list

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 3, 2024
Visit site
Oh wow, that's awesome. I will try that and if that works, I can get for sure a good car for towing 1574kg

I am not too sure what this meant at first, but my license has a BE code on the back with a little picture of a tow car and validity dates that are in date, so I guess that means yes I have it.

This this thread was resurrected and I am the OP, just to provide an update here, in the end I went for a Volvo XC60 T8 Recharge - I did this partly because they had really good 0% finance and finance contribution offers which made it a good value deal compared to the other cars I was looking at, and also because it will pretty much tow any caravan that we could possibly consider.

The Porsche Cayenne was really good to drive but was just too expensive to justify in the end, especially as they don't seem to offer any significant discounts and you have to pay a huge amount extra to spec it up to the same level, and the finance interest rate is high. Also it sits massively high off the ground and my wife is quite short and joked that she might need a ladder to get into it!

After looking at a lot more caravans we might end up going for a Bailey Pegasus Bologna which is larger than what we originally intended and is twin axle - this is mainly because we like the side fixed bed layout with rear bathroom, and the lighter caravans makes it difficult to access the bathroom when the bed is extended - I particularly found this with the Swift Sprite which basically completely blocks you from walking to the bathroom.

The car seems fantastic so far - next step is to book a towing class for both of us an dthen buy the caravan early next year!

Aug 3, 2024
Visit site
Thanks Javert and sorry for parasite your thread. The Bailey Pegasus Bologna is awesome, I'm between that one and portofino. I'm not sure if bath in the middle or in the back is best option.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Oops a moderator does not understand banter? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
I am really puzzled as to why you keep referring to me as a moderator, patently I’m not. Yesterday I deliberately stepped back from a thread on noseweight as I suspected it would deviate from the question. Glad I did seeing one I’ll considered post that could cause those with less experience to think it okay to exceed a makers limit.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I am really puzzled as to why you keep referring to me as a moderator, patently I’m not. Yesterday I deliberately stepped back from a thread on noseweight as I suspected it would deviate from the question. Glad I did seeing one I’ll considered post that could cause those with less experience to think it okay to exceed a makers limit.
Did the post in question state it was okay to exceed the manufacturer's limit?

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I have to agree with Javert. A rear end bathroom shower room toilet basin whatever we call it😉 is my preferred choice. Mid section ones with the cooker literally next door isn’t for us..
Sorry to have deviated further but it’s all fun👍👍

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
We have had 2 caravans with mid-bathroom/end bedroom. The downside was that it made the lounge feel quite claustrophobic unless you had the bathroom door open, but then you watched the TV with the toilet in the corner of your eye!

• Haha
Reactions: Dustydog
Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
I am not too sure what this meant at first, but my license has a BE code on the back with a little picture of a tow car and validity dates that are in date, so I guess that means yes I have it.

This this thread was resurrected and I am the OP, just to provide an update here, in the end I went for a Volvo XC60 T8 Recharge - I did this partly because they had really good 0% finance and finance contribution offers which made it a good value deal compared to the other cars I was looking at, and also because it will pretty much tow any caravan that we could possibly consider.

The Porsche Cayenne was really good to drive but was just too expensive to justify in the end, especially as they don't seem to offer any significant discounts and you have to pay a huge amount extra to spec it up to the same level, and the finance interest rate is high. Also it sits massively high off the ground and my wife is quite short and joked that she might need a ladder to get into it!

After looking at a lot more caravans we might end up going for a Bailey Pegasus Bologna which is larger than what we originally intended and is twin axle - this is mainly because we like the side fixed bed layout with rear bathroom, and the lighter caravans makes it difficult to access the bathroom when the bed is extended - I particularly found this with the Swift Sprite which basically completely blocks you from walking to the bathroom.

The car seems fantastic so far - next step is to book a towing class for both of us an dthen buy the caravan early next year!
@Javert We towed with the old XC90 for years. Great tow car. I am sure the XC60 will be very capable, and efficient if you can use the PHEV part of it effectively :) Just remember to charge every night to keep your battery full and not empty your wallet at the petrol station :) Get onto a good Electricity tariff that will keep your costs down (I can recommend Octopus Go! or Octopus Tracker.)

(Mods - I couldn't see a forum rule prohibiting referral codes - is this OK?)

Your Octopus Energy Referral code
Use this link to sign up to Octopus - https://share.octopus.energy/night-pony-132

Reactions: Dustydog

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts