Tow cars: the hybrid questions

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Dustydog said:
ProfJohnL said:
I'm not sure what happened there! I thought I had pointed to an article that explored the different costs of running an IC engine vs Hybrid. I cannot find it now, so I'll try to be brief.

The first thing to point out is that the Volvo Dusty referred to is not really a mainstream vehicle, so it's not really fair to hold it up as a 'typical vehicle' but it does demonstrate one of the likely characteristics of hybrids used for towing, and that will be poorer mpg than for equivalent diesel or even turbo petrols, but most will be better than the Volvo.

Having pushed the Volvo to the side, metaphorically speaking, the issue of poorer towing mpg can't be ignored, but it should be viewed in the context of whole mileage costs. On the basis average caravanners will be only be towing for about 10% of their annual mileage, the poorer towing mpg will be offset by the greater savings the technology offers when solo.

Of course there will be some who may do more than 10% towing miles, and consequently the coatings would be different but these people will be minority, and that may affect their vehicle purchasing strategies.

Other factors that will affect the costings would be changes to electricity tariffs, if for example the economy seven (or off peak rates) were changed, but then so will changes to the cost of diesel or petrol, so cost differentials cannot be guaranteed. However looking at it from an energy efficiency perspective the greatest probability is that for the average caravanner hybrid power will be overall more efficient.

With regards battery degradation, despite dire warnings of piles (no pun intended) of discarded batteries, the evidence is they are lasting far better than anticipated. It's also the case that batteries are highly recyclable, far more easily than ic engines and ancillaries.

Prof,
Why decry and dismiss the Volvo?
For a caravanner it's a mainstream vehicle. It's Volvo's state of the art concept moving forwards to new technology and power sources. But they may have got it wrong ;) ;) .
I've said before a large number of caravanners have two cars in the family. One a fuel guzzler but excellent tugger. The other a real lean burn super frugal vehicle. So number of miles travelled isn' t really relevant as you say for a caravanner.
However it wouldn't surprise me if a high tech steam driven vehicle came about using a turbine with power generation and electric motors. Gas being the fuel.

Having considerable experience of steam driven turbine powered vehicles I would run a mile at the thought of any company trying to tempt me into buying one. However a gas powered gas turbine would get my vote. Nothing to leak out, no condensers that lose vacuum and instant startup with no scaling. You could even change the GT in less than 48 hours.

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Dustydog said:
Hutch.
I'm laughing :p Our very own David Motton quoted the towing mpg of the Volvo XC90 at 16.1 towing :eek:hmy:
Is that progress :blink:
As for no gearboxes on electric do you know if they will be able to pull a heavy TA from a standing start off a 1 in 6 hill?
SW not going well this week. Will tell you more on email.
electric motors deliver max torque immediately so in theory hill starts would be a breeze ,well as long as the battery has decent charge .

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Dustydog said:
Prof,
Why decry and dismiss the Volvo?
For a caravanner it's a mainstream vehicle. It's Volvo's state of the art concept moving forwards to new technology and power sources. But they may have got it wrong ;) ;) .
I've said before a large number of caravanners have two cars in the family. One a fuel guzzler but excellent tugger. The other a real lean burn super frugal vehicle. So number of miles travelled isn' t really relevant as you say for a caravanner.
However it wouldn't surprise me if a high tech steam driven vehicle came about using a turbine with power generation and electric motors. Gas being the fuel.

It was not my intention to dismiss the Volvo, It is a towing vehicle and its available now, so it is a very real vehicle, but its not an average towing vehicle, and in fact if the towing mpg figure are correct its likely to be stuck off some caravanners lists, so I hesitate to call it mainstream - but that's really another debate.

No caravanner is forced to choose a particular vehicle with which to tow their caravan, There are usually at lest one other alternative vehicle, so customers will vote with their money and if they don't like the Volvo's towing MPG they will look elsewhere.

I do agree that presently there are many caravanners who will have two cars in the family, and for a number of reasons it will tend to be the larger vehicle which is assigned the towing duties. But there are also many caravanners who may only have one vehicle, and it will be expected to tow the caravan. but crucially we have not been talking about present day practices we have been looking at future trends, and who knows how many cars caravanners may or may not be allowed.

But one or two cars, it doesn't really matter, in the future the energy usage (and therefore costs) will still be shared between towing and solo and the benefit of a frugal run around will offset the cost of the gas guzzler used for towing

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
The Audi E-Tron Quattro looks promising with a range of 310 miles according to the maker.
Maybe us tuggers will have supplementary electric motors fitted to the caravan wheels aiding our all electric cars :unsure: Well why not ;) :whistle:

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
An electric aided motor on the caravan with tailwind toget for better fuel economy and miles ! it's a nice car but they all look the same only difference from them is the badge on the front. it looks like the Infinity Jeep that one . But like previously said many years to go till everything goes and totally electric . . .

Craig

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Dustydog said:
The Audi E-Tron Quattro looks promising with a range of 310 miles according to the maker.
Maybe us tuggers will have supplementary electric motors fitted to the caravan wheels aiding our all electric cars :unsure: Well why not ;) :whistle:

With a quick welding together of the towball and tow hitch you could be the inventor of a revolutionary new vehicle.......the motorhome? :) Put a towbar on its back and you could take you small fuel efficient /electric car too.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Dustydog said:

Hello Dusty
I know you comment was not entirely serious, but the concept of aiding a weaker tow car by powering the trailer is used on the railways, so its not as daft as you may have thought, but for cars it would have no real benefit unless it also carried more battery capacity to extend range.

Tesla and lucid air an others have actually shown that power and torques from electric motors in cars is not the problem, its battery capacity needed to haul heavier loads. But battery development is looking promising with much greater power densities a strong possibility which is what caravanners will need.

Further point added 18th Oct 900pm
Whilst the idea of having powered wheels on a caravan is not totally ridiculous, it would not be permitted in the UK, as it would technically become a second powered vehicle adn that would put it into a different vehicular category.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
If electric cars are to be used for towing the charging points will need far more room so we can get the trailer in as well as the car. This point seems to have been overlooked so far.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Raywood said:
If electric cars are to be used for towing the charging points will need far more room so we can get the trailer in as well as the car. This point seems to have been overlooked so far.

Your right on that point. However I have seen a Dutch companies take on teh the matter and thay have a drive through charging design, which is being deployed across Holland and apparently they have applications in for sites across Europe and the UK. Looks to be tall enough for caravans.

see

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Pg0PaUWoPo

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I've been converted :)
Just watched one of those "impossible Engineering " programmes. An hour about Tesla and their World beating Hi Tech factory . Impressive :cheer:
They are building 2000 units a week .Seeing the automation I'm even more mystified why caravan makers haven't moved forward very much.

It seems that charging times are still an issue but in the UK using a 3 phase supply the timings are not too bad, not hours anyway.
With Dyson bringing out something in a few years, if the price is right , there may hope for us dinosaurs :p

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Dustydog said:
Just watched one of those "impossible Engineering " programmes. An hour about Tesla and their World beating Hi Tech factory . Impressive :cheer:
They are building 2000 units a week .Seeing the automation I'm even more mystified why caravan makers haven't moved forward very much.

It seems that charging times are still an issue but in the UK using a 3 phase supply the timings are not too bad, not hours anyway.
With Dyson bringing out something in a few years, if the price is right , there may hope for us dinosaurs :p

Unfortunately UK caravan builders are nearer 2,000 a year than a week which may make automation far more difficult. Given the price of Dyson products I doubt their cars will be cheap either.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I would agree that large scale robotic automation seen in car factories may not be appropriate for caravan manufacturers. But the same basic requirements apply to both industries - to consistently handle product and assembly it correctly. One business manages it well and caravans manufacturers don't.

Automation does not have to include robots, and vast conveyor systems, it can be relatively simple jigs and fixtures then allow manual labour to do its job more consistently.

Perhaps an extreme example is a GRP boat builder who uses a mould to form the hull it is automation becasue provided the mould is filled correctly, it will always produce a consistent product. That is anything but mass production, but it does form a fundamental part of the boat yards quality assurance processes.

Whilst my suspicions is that most caravans have some all-be-it minor faults on delivery, there may be some that are genuinely fault free, so it proves the manufacturers can do it, or get close to it, but why can't they do it consistently? I think we know one of the main reasons is they don't incentive's their employees to work diligently only too quickly

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
Dustydog said:
I've been converted :) Just watched one of those "impossible Engineering " programmes. An hour about Tesla and their World beating Hi Tech factory . Impressive :cheer:
Everyone seems to be admiring Tesla, but they are in financial trouble, issuing junk bonds, and laying off workers (those that want to work for them - they treat their workers badly). It could be that their bubble will burst.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/teslas-junk-bonds-are-trading-under-water-and-it-could-spell-trouble-for-elon-musk-2017-11-10
https://www.theverge.com/2017/10/25/16545956/tesla-solarcity-layoff-firing-elon-musk
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/tesla/model-3/87867/new-tesla-model-3-prices-specs-news

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Raywood said:
Dustydog said:

Unfortunately UK caravan builders are nearer 2,000 a year than a week which may make automation far more difficult. Given the price of Dyson products I doubt their cars will be cheap either.

I agree, but I think quality control is more important to the caravan industry than automation. The serious complaints are mainly in the build, and in particular the sealing of the panels, which simply should not happen, and is down to poor workmanship..
You can get a fault free caravan as we did have one. As it was from Avondale we probably were lucky though as they promptly went out of business. Of the others the worst fault on delivery was a faulty fridge which was down to the parts supplier.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Ray,

I know this might seem like nit picking but, "quality control" is what the caravan industry try to apply now, and most of the time it fails.

That is because they try to inspect quality in to the products rather than build with quality in mind.

For example; a careless Baker will rapidly go out of business if the bread they make turns out poorly, the only quality test is what is end product like. This is in essence conventional "Quality Control by end inspection" and it's too late in the process, and it means that all the preceding work has been wasted, so the pressure is on in the caravan industry to release goods that are arguably not of merchantable quality.

By comparison, you will find that all successful Bakers apply "Quality Assurance" and will choose very carefully and have assurances from their suppliers about the the quality of the ingredients supplied. Recipes will be clearly displayed and followed, Their measuring equipment will be calibrated so exactly the right amount of ingredient is used. The mixing will be timed, ovens will be calibrated and have close temperature control for both proving and finally baking.

If you know your raw materials are good, and you control and apply the correct procedures to manipulate them, you will have confidence that your end product will be consistent. This means product is right first time, there is significantly reduced scrap and rework = lower manufacturing costs. and fewer unhappy customers!

Jun 26, 2017
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
Hello Ray,

I know this might seem like nit picking but, "quality control" is what the caravan industry try to apply now, and most of the time it fails.

That is because they try to inspect quality in to the products rather than build with quality in mind.

For example; a careless Baker will rapidly go out of business if the bread they make turns out poorly, the only quality test is what is end product like. This is in essence conventional "Quality Control by end inspection" and it's too late in the process, and it means that all the preceding work has been wasted, so the pressure is on in the caravan industry to release goods that are arguably not of merchantable quality.

By comparison, you will find that all successful Bakers apply "Quality Assurance" and will choose very carefully and have assurances from their suppliers about the the quality of the ingredients supplied. Recipes will be clearly displayed and followed, Their measuring equipment will be calibrated so exactly the right amount of ingredient is used. The mixing will be timed, ovens will be calibrated and have close temperature control for both proving and finally baking.

If you know your raw materials are good, and you control and apply the correct procedures to manipulate them, you will have confidence that your end product will be consistent. This means product is right first time, there is significantly reduced scrap and rework = lower manufacturing costs. and fewer unhappy customers!

Really ?

Having recently been awarded a prestigious contract by one of the major suppliers to the Caravan, Motorhome and Marine industry, I’m afraid I can’t just ignore that nonsense. If fact, I would go so far as to say I find it offensive.

We won the contract after months and months of hard effort and collaboration in response to the unprecedented due diligence of our client, particularly with regards to quality and consistency.

In particular, I quote ...

“By comparison, you will find that all successful Bakers apply "Quality Assurance" and will choose very carefully and have assurances from their suppliers about the the quality of the ingredients supplied.“

I would suggest that you stick to the baking, an industry which you clearly see as exemplary, but if you really are interested in learning more about the kind of rigorous quality assurance and consistency that today’s key suppliers to the caravan and motorhome industry demand, then please feel free to send me a message Prof, and I’ll happily enlighten you with real world facts and figures from 2017.

Perhaps this may even help to change your jaded view from yesteryear ?

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
:blush: oh dear!!
If you think the Prof is a yester year man you have clearly failed to read his many words of wisdom over many years on here. Sorry to say I don' t find your insult acceptable or credible.
You may be supplying one component back down the line for final inclusion in some small part in the the overall big picture.
Quite right you should be taken to task and made to show demonstrable evidence you can perform.
And so why aren't the end producers of today's caravans put through the same gruelling tests to show their competence in producing a problem , leak free unit :angry: Words fail me :evil:

Jun 26, 2017
Visit site
Icaru5 said:
Dustydog said:
:blush: oh dear!!
If you think the Prof is a yester year man you have clearly failed to read his many words of wisdom over many years on here. Sorry to say I don' t find your insult acceptable or credible.
You may be supplying one component back down the line for final inclusion in some small part in the the overall big picture.
Quite right you should be taken to task and made to show demonstrable evidence you can perform.
And so why aren't the end producers of today's caravans put through the same gruelling tests to show their competence in producing a problem , leak free unit :angry: Words fail me :evil:

Dusty,

I have indeed had the pleasure of reading the Prof’s many words of Wisdom, but on this occasion, from a professional perspective, I have to completely disagree with his assumptions regarding the supply of products to the caravan industry, and in particular his analogy of the baking industry.

I haven’t supplied one component back down the line, but what I have supplied is a brand new, state of the art production line to produce those components, working to unprecedented quality standards, and it is after spending the last few months of my time relentlessly putting in the work both technically and commercially to secure the contract that I find such nonsense regarding supplier-side quality assurance insulting.

I can’t comment on your final question regarding the end producer as this is not a field I have any experience in.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Icaru.
That's the point. In your own words you have no involvement in the end product which is the very thing we mere mortals spend our money on :woohoo:

Jun 26, 2017
Visit site
Dustydog said:
Icaru.
That's the point. In your own words you have no involvement in the end product which is the very thing we mere mortals spend our money on :woohoo:

Well no, that’s not the point Dusty, at least not mine.

The Prof was clearly saying that “in comparison”, a successful baker will carefully select a supplier with quality assurances, suggesting that a caravan manufacturer doesn’t.

I can assure you, as would any supplier however far down the chain that there are extremely stringent manufacturing standards to be adhered to. Poor quality simply will not be accepted, and in fact will be penalised, and this is reflected in the terms and conditions of contracts from a very early stage. Again, on the issue of whether or not there are quality problems arising from final assembly, I can’t comment, but to suggest that caravan manufacturers don’t carefully choose suppliers with quality assurance is absurd, no matter how experienced or notable one may be.

Oct 28, 2006
Visit site
Often i dont see eye to eye with John L but even i found that a little bit harsh on him.He does have some very good points,this being one of them.There is no doubt caravan engineering is poor.Repair times stink,and back up is crap.Slightly off topic whats your tie up with the marine side of things?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Icaru5 said:
Dustydog said:
Icaru.

Well no, that’s not the point Dusty, at least not mine.

The Prof was clearly saying that “in comparison”, a successful baker will carefully select a supplier with quality assurances, suggesting that a caravan manufacturer doesn’t.

I can assure you, as would any supplier however far down the chain that there are extremely stringent manufacturing standards to be adhered to. Poor quality simply will not be accepted, and in fact will be penalised, and this is reflected in the terms and conditions of contracts from a very early stage. Again, on the issue of whether or not there are quality problems arising from final assembly, I can’t comment, but to suggest that caravan manufacturers don’t carefully choose suppliers with quality assurance is absurd, no matter how experienced or notable one may be.

Hello Icarus,

Your indignation is noted, but it is not justified. I did suggest
a good baker will use use quality assured product, and I fully stand by that analogy but you have not made all the logical extensions to that concept.

And one you have not considered which is the crucial one to my point, Even if the ingredients are quality assured by the supplier a poor baker may not use a consistent recipe, the mixing may not be complete or it may be over worked, the ovens may not be at the right temperature, and the wrong baking time may be used.

I have seen plenty of companies who will only purchase supplies from accredited suppliers, but internally within their own production facility, they don't have or don't enforce defined procedures and work instructions for critical assembly stages. This allows good materials to be wasted.

For your information, I used to work for a company that amongst other things manufactured gas appliances, some of which were sold to the caravan manufacturers. The company had invested extensively to achieve accreditation to BS 5750 and subsequently BE EN IO9001/2, and QS9001. We fully adopted the concept of Quality assurance, from the MD down through the entire organisation, and beyond to our supplies and customers.

We knew each gas appliance we dispatch was a fully working product we had test record to prove it, yet the caravan manufactures managed to scratch them, bend then break them rob parts from them, run fork lifts over them, flood them!!! and then send them back to us as "not working"

Granted that was over 20 years ago, but the the customer reports we see on these forums still indicate the same types of issues are occurring now as then, so the industry has not changed enough so I still maintain the UK caravan manufactures still have a massive way to go before they can justify or have pride in any claim of having effective Quality Assurance.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Frankly whatever the caravan builders say I do not believe the take quality control seriously. It is clear that the vital sealant used at external joints is often done in a slipshod manner despite this being vital to the construction and very expensive to put right. That is just the beginning, but other reports show similar stupid problems which any effective system would reduce considerably.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts