Feb 11, 2007
Visit site
Went to Germany couple of weeks ago and observed at the camp what vehicles were pulling these large caravans who carried up to 3 bikes on the A frame and what they had in the awning was every thing apart from the proverble sink.I think there were about 130 units on site and counted no more than 5 4 by 4 jobs in fact we done 2390 miles and Land Rover would have gone broke as we saw 1 Defender and Discovery on the roads.The cars on the site were saloon/Hatchback Mercedes/BMW/Audi and a few other types.I am not clued up with these cars but they cetainly do the business.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
As I've mentioned in other threads before, no-one over here on the Continent has ever heard of a recommended 85% weight ratio. Generally, the majority who are happy to tow at the standard speed limit of 80km/h do so close to or right at the manufacturer's limit. A few who prefer to be able to do 100km/h legally are limited to a 100% weight ratio unless the towing limit is lower. Despite making full use of the legal limits, I can't say that I've seen more accidents involving caravans than in the UK.

Part of the reason for a lack of larger 4x4's is that they are heavily penalised taxwise but there are also fewer CL-type sites where good tugging capability on soft or wet ground is required.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Yes. Because they are out to make full use of what is legally allowed, they generally follow the manufacturers' limits meticulously. (The exceptions prove the rule)

TRENDING THREADS