Tow connection on van

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
I park my van out side my house and reverse up to the tow hook on the van, I know when to stop as my mirror is in line with the lamp post.

What is worrying me is what if I am out with my car and some one else backs into the hook on the van.

Is there anything I can do to stop this from happening, like a marker that you can see in your reversing mirror.

Reg

Feb 11, 2007
Visit site
Would it not be better to ask the poster to expand on his question rather than being so abrupt. Some people may not appreciate the comment and it may put them of posting in the future.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
A cone won't be of much help unless it is tall enough to fall within the angle of vision of the average rear view mirror. The onus is on whoever is reversing to make sure that everything is clear behind the car, even if the area is partially out of view. The same problem exists with bollards, etc.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Reg

Securely attach a pole with some bright red or orange flags to the tow hitch. Or you could set up some of that orange plastic barrier fencing?

Are you legally parked on the road? No complaints from your neighbours???

Cheers

Dustydog

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
Hi all,

I am parked on a service road, it just go's to some garages one is mine, we do get the odd lorry down there and parked cars.

It also is right out side my back garden fence, we told all the people that live in the square about the van and informed the council.

I think I will put a broom handle with red and white tape on and fix to the tow hitch.

It is mainly me that will park there but just in case.

Thanks for all the help and friendly suggestions.

Off to give the loo a good clean now.

Reg & Pat

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
This raises an interesting question:

Can you park a caravan on the road if that "road" is the highway [road maintained at public expense]and its not coupled to a vehicle with a current RFL?

I had understood you cant.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
This raises an interesting question:

Can you park a caravan on the road if that "road" is the highway [road maintained at public expense]and its not coupled to a vehicle with a current RFL?

I had understood you cant.
Clearly might not apply in this case if the "service road" is not "adopted".

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Just a note here which may be of interest, especially for those touring the Continent:

In most countries, caravans are registered and have their own number plate. In those places, they are treated as vehicles in their own right, having the same rights and obligations as all other vehicles. They can therefore be parked out in the street, just like a car.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
When I am hooked up car/caravan on my driveway I place a cone in front of the car so that passing vehicles know that I am not about to pull out

I can't see the cone from the driving seat so I have a 2m long broom stale in the centre hole of the cone with a C & CC holiday pennant on the end and that can be seen through the windscreen

Something similar would posibly do

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts