Tow Hitch Socket

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have had my 1995 Fleetwood Garland 165 nearly 12 months now, I had a tow bar fitted to my 2003 Peugeout 406 estate when I bought the van. I have noticed that the fridge doesn't cool while driving. Is it possible the 12S socket has been wired incorrctly for this older van, if so, is it best to change the wiring in the plug or socket and which pins need swapping?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Martyn

Firstly check on the contorl panel there is a three way switch this must be set to car and fridge to 12volts. try this first, It can be done at home but first charge fridge by the mains for a few hours then plug into car socket, for about an hour temp should remain canstant, if not the have the wiering cheked by the your bar fitter.

have Jim

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Martyn, if your car has been correctly wired for post 99 standards, (including the combined feed for permanent supply and battery charging), then pre and post 99 caravan fridges should work.

You should check that you have an ignition controlled supply on Pin 6 (+ve) and Pin 3 (-ve). On post 99 vans the (-ve)is moved to pin 7.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The standard for wiring 12s changed in 1999. The change involved putting a dedicated earth return on pin 7 for the fridge. If the car is wired differently to the van, the fridge won't work. If it was me, I would bring the van up to post 99 standard - rather than the other way round - look at: www.caravanninglinks.co.uk/electrics_wiring_code.htm#12spost

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts