Towball cycle carrier

Jan 1, 2010
Visit site
Hi Lisa

I`ve got a MAXXRAXX carrier, good solid build, easy to use, you can also get an extention piece, this gives more height clearance to avoid the a frame. Got ours on line from roofbox.co.uk

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Lisa,

When I first saw your post I thought you were looking for a bike rack to use whilst not towing, but Phils answer prompted me to point this out.
Your cars towball limit is not just for teh tow ball but for any load that is carried by the towbar support system.

I'm sure you must have seen similar topics on this forum about towhitch mounted bike racks. But just in case you haven't, then please be aware that the cars nose load limit will have to accomodate both the caravan and the rack with the weight of the bikes - so if you have a car tow ball vertical load limit of 75Kg, and your rack and bikes weight 25Kg, then that only leaves you with 50Kg for your caravans nose load.

One way round this is to do what my BiL did which was to make a bike rack the fitted to the A frame of the caravan. This meant that he had to retrim his caravan to get the nose load right but the weight of the rack and bikes formed part of the caravans actual nose load, rather than detracting from it.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi

Thanks for the replies, its for use when NOT towing.
I'm trying to keep costs down as the bike cost a fair whack. What do people think of the link to the ebay product.

Thanks.

Lisa

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Phil

I've just had a look at the MAXXRAXX carrier but at around £140, it's a lot of money, I know you get what you pay for but I've just forked out £700+ on the bike and £140 for the carrier, was not budgeted for.

A roof mounted carrier is out of the question, a high rear carrier is too really.

Lisa

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Lisa
The price seems ok but you would have to be very careful that no part of your rear number plate was obscured when carrying bikes.
You might need to buy another rear plate on an elastic strap which would fasten the new number plate to the bike so that it could be read and seen by cameras.

Jan 1, 2010
Visit site
Hi Lisa

I know what you mean lol, my bike was a lot cheaper than yours!! There are a few on e bay.

Prof John

I`m lucky enough to have a Disco TD5 as a tug, so don`t have the limited noseweight problem that most cars have, but you are quite correct to point it out.

Phil

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. How much does it cost to buy a number plate these days?

I actually wonder if the Police do prosecute anyone for obscuring the rear number plate, I know it's illegal but you see loads round here and according to these traffic cops programmes, a hell of a lot of cars pulled over for defects etc, the owner gets off scot free, and I'm talking about serious problems which make the vehicle dangerous (completely bald tyres etc).

lisa

Jan 1, 2010
Visit site
Around the 15-20 quid mark I think, some trailer type shops (Indespension etc) sell the yellow blanks and the letter are about 20p each, I think towsure do them as well.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks Phil but I thought it was illegal to make your own these days.
smiley-frown.gif

Did you look at the ebay link? Do you think that carrier would be up to the job?

Lisa

Jan 1, 2010
Visit site
Hi Lisa
I don`t think there is a problem making your own with these kits, but I could be wrong. I wouldn`t have thought Towsure would sell them if they were `iffy`.
As for the carrier, it`s hard to say to be honest, it`s not the best picture by a counrty mile, so I would rather not comment. I am a little intrigued as to how it secures to the car, I appreciate that the lower part of the upright `clamps` the hitch. But surely there must be more to it than that.
Phil

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Phil

Well, I've just bought it. I've spoken to the seller and he assures me it'll be fine. I have to strap the bike onto the actual frame of the carrier for extra security. Thinking about it, I think my bike will probably obstruct the lights, so I guess I might have to buy a lightboard now too.
smiley-frown.gif

Lisa

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Well, it arrived and I'm contacting the seller tomorrow to see if I can return it and get a refund...
smiley-frown.gif
there's no way that item would remain stable at anything over 20 mph.
smiley-surprised.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts